SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lalithar

Apron sink and drip ledge - Is it glued on?

lalithar
12 years ago

My cabinet guy has never heard of a drip ledge. Any advice on how it is fixed? Is it glued on? Is there a pic someone can share please?

I did get some useful input on how exactly it works.. The physics makes sense..

--------------------

From an older GW thread:

HOW A DRIP LEDGE or DRIP RAIL WORKS

Picture the drip rail as a piece of 1" or 1 1/2" solid stock with an ogee edge on the front. It projects about 1" from the face of the cabinet front, sandwiched between the cabinet and the sink (I don't imagine it goes all the way under the sink, but it appears that way.) HERE'S the IMPORTANT DETAIL: on the UNDERSIDE of the drip rail, there's a routered drip groove running the whole length of the drip rail, about 1/2 inch from the edge. This is the same detail that is used on the exterior window trim of old houses. On windows, the groove on the trim (which is located on the trim away from the house by about 3/4 of an inch or so) prevents rain water from running under the window sill and down the siding of the house. That's because the groove interrupts the flat plane of the bottom of the window trim, and water can't move upwards (no capillary action) to follow the groove and get to the siding. So similarly, in the drip rail for a sink, the water runs down the sink face, over the ogee edge of the drip rail and starts to run under the drip rail, until it hits the groove and can't go any further. The water then drips off the underside of the drip rail at the edge of the groove, effectively missing the cabinet front (it'll fall onto the floor tho) thus preserving the finish on the cabinet doors and cabinet face frame.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!