SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kiki_redo

1st proj in new home, dd bedroom cathedral ceilings - photos

kiki_redo
14 years ago

(long post sorry!)

we closed on our house on tuesday! yay!

i love the neighborhood & schools & convenience to dh work, but must confess that i don't love the 1979 contemporary, cedar siding in a v-pattern, assymetrical, vaulted ceiling thing that goes on at our new address :) i have no idea what to do in this style home - it's so strongly stamped with the era

we have solemnly vowed to live in the house for a year before remodeling anything -- doing only necessary repairs and our daughter's room to make her happy. she's 6.

linked to some photos of her bedroom and to my first attempts at google sketch-up. i'd really welcome any advice on getting started in her room. the direction of the light, the high ceilings, the contemporary style of house - all things i struggle with

*the tallest wall should be 17 feet tall not 12*

there are also 2 skylights i can't figure out how to draw.

the wall with 1 pane window has NW light

the wall with 2 pane window has NE light

(so the room feels a little dark to me)

so far:

we are removing all trim (very damaged).

we are replacing all sockets switches and plates (white)

i am totally priming the walls (even the very high places)

could remove beige(wheat)carpet, do hardwood but that uses up a lot of $ for the room and the carpet is in good condt.

dd has a cottagy white bed, white dresser and a small vanity(target shabby chic).

not yet bought linens or curtains so completely flexible

dd likes pink&blue or pink&yellow

dd does not like pink&green or pink&purple combinations.

i would like her room to be calming because she's high-strung and needs a retreat. she has a separate playroom for fun ;)

ideas:

i'd like to do something like a taller white trim - with no profile, just flat, if that makes sense - paint door and closet white.

we'd like have a loft built. not a loft bed, but actual 2nd story in the room.

daughter's only request is a pink paint. like a medium raspberry or azalea pink. she doesn't like any of the pale blush pink colors or the greyish-pink mauvy colors.

i was kind of thinking of painting one wall pink(the short wall with 2 pane window) because it already looks kind of dark and grey even when it's white. i thought a darker color on that wall might might brighten the white on the ceiling on that side of the room.

if you were to paint one wall pink, which would it be and why?

if you were to build a loft, where would you put it and how big?

if i painted one wall bright pink, and the other 3 white, would you go with white-white, or tint the white a touch pink, or tint it a bluish white? some other white?

i'm also open to changing any of the above except there must be some medium bright pink paint involved somewhere.

any thoughts would really be appreciated! i've been reading her for months and am blown away by the creativity and taste i meet here!

tia!!

Here is a link that might be useful: photos bedroom and google sketchup

Comments (7)