SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
walkin_yesindeed

furniture restorers, can these dressers be saved?

walkin_yesindeed
15 years ago

I know it's entirely unfair to title a post like that and then not provide pics... so I *promise* they're on the way.

We scored on Craigslist this weekend, but now DH is dubious. I told him that if anyone could help us make these dressers look fabulous, it'd be you nice people, so don't let me down!

1) looks to be 1920s ish, but what do I know? "Waterfall" curved top, 3 drawer, plus open compartment on the bottom. Each drawer and the cabinets below are sort of striped. That is, on the outer sides of the dresser is an oak veneer, banded by a narrow, complex vertical wood inlay (sort of a stripe). The middle section looks like walnut veneer, and isn't in good shape -- parts of it look worn and much lighter than the rest. The compartment's bottom is pretty much kaput, but that's just a piece of plywood, not a big deal.

My main question: what wood refinishers do I use to make this look pretty again? I'm assuming I need something like Restore-A-Finish? (have never used it, but I've read enthusiastic reports from many of you) And do I need to do anything about the Pledge the previous owner was spraying on it as I pulled up, in a last-ditch effort to try to improve it before I got there?

Also, previously-brass drawer pulls are quite worn. They're fabulous, if hard to describe without a pic: circular, almost like steering wheels, with a red glass bead in the center. Can I restore the metal parts of these to any kind of luster somehow?

2) 8-drawer dresser: generally in great shape, except for one flaw: veneer on top is placed in long bands, and one of the bands in the back has popped up a bit (not all the way along the dresser top: just a few inches' worth). The seller said we could glue it. Is he right? With what glue? And then do we stand there and press down on it for half an hour till it "takes" enough to leave a pile of books on it overnight?

And, assuming I ever get this ambitious: this dresser is oak in tone (it's clearly solid wood, could be actual oak, but haven't seen quite enough of it to be sure). For various reasons we think we might like to darken this piece. Are there any products out there (gel stain?) that could do so while not cloaking the wood grain and also not necessitating sanding every millimeter of the (large) dresser?

I promise, pics are coming, and thank you to anyone who's read this far without giving up in disgust. I know pictures are worth more than a thousand words in this case.

And, hooray, we got both of these dressers and a little magazine-stand-occasional-table for $240. Turns out DH is quite the bargainer after all!

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!