SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
azzalea_gw

Shingles Vaccine?

azzalea
12 years ago

So who's gotten it? or planning on getting it?

While my dr. has recommended that DH and I get it, I'm on the fence.

For starters, it's expensive ($200) and not generally covered by insurance. It's relatively new--from the internet reading I'm doing, it's not even known IF it provides longterm protection or if a booster will be needed. Apparently longterm studies haven't been completed yet. It's proported to be safe--but then, it's new. Then I'm reading side effects--while reportedly relatively minor are hitting about 1 in 2 people who get the vaccine. New medicines/vaccines always have me a bit leary--how often do we hear 5-10-15 years down the road, "Well, we thought it was safe at the time, but we're finding....."

DH, of course, is chomping at the bit to get it--he loves to have/get anything new in the medical field. I tend to be a lot more cautious. Frankly, in the last 15 years, I've only known 2 people who have had shingles (and as my mom and aunt's caregiver during that time, I spent a LOT of time with older citizens)--the reports that it hits 1 out of 3 seem a little exaggerated to me, frankly--perhaps to sell something that's pretty expensive?

So what's everyone else thinking about this one? Are you planning on running out to get it? If you've gotten the vaccine, what were your experiences?

Comments (26)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022