SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chi83

Cat acting up at night

Chi
14 years ago

Hello there,

I'm at my wit's end with one of my cats. I haven't been able to get a peaceful night sleep in months. He's fine during the day - he eats and sleeps and uses the litter box fine. He's affectionate and playful and quiet.

But then at bedtime he gets very loud. If I close my door, he will literally stand outside of it for hours a time crying and clawing the door and carpet. It's impossible to sleep through. I'm not exaggerating when I say hours, either. He will cry non-stop all night.

If I open the door, he does this strange routine where he will run into the room, cry a few times, scratch my bedroom carpet and then jump up on my bed and nuzzle me and purr. He does this over and over ALL night. Again, impossible to sleep through.

I live in a one bedroom apartment so there's no way to really confine him at night away from my bedroom and he is disruptive whether I let him in the room or not.

I'm thinking of taking him to the vet to see if it might be health-related but it mystifies me that it only happens at night. Even when I'm home with him all day, he doesn't cry at all.

The only other change I can think of is that I recently changed his litter about a month ago and he doesn't seem to like it much. He still uses the box and hasn't had any accidents but I notice that his routine frequently also has him scratching around in the box before he comes in my room. He also scratches himself and licks during the behavior so maybe he's itchy or something.

I bought new litter today so I'll see if that helps. I should also mention that he knows very well that he's being bad. If I drag myself out of bed to come scold him, he takes off at full speed running from me as soon as I get up cause he knows he might get a lil swat for ruining my carpet. :P

It's just insanely frustrating to not be able to sleep at all. I'm a very light sleeper and I honestly haven't had a night without being woken up in months now.

Oh, I should also mention that it's not a specific time at night. It could be 8 pm or 3 am, whenever I go to bed, when it starts.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Comments (17)