SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cotehele_gw

Rationale for kitchen layout...my sanity is gone

cotehele
16 years ago

Since the recent past technology, not only kitchen technology but technology of all sorts, strives to reduce physical effort. Don't get me wrong, I am a gadget person, and love technology. My challenge is to look for opportunities to add exercise in my day. I park at the back of the lot, carry my groceries to the car rather than using a cart, walk as much as I can rather than driving, and go up stairs many times a day.

I don't spend hours in the kitchen daily, nor do I cook for more than a few people most days. Why do we move an appliance or sink to save walking 2-3 feet, especially in relatively small kitchens? I am not knocking a good, efficient layout nor one that is attractive. Locating the DW, for example, where the door can be open while one is at the sink makes sense because it is not functional otherwise. We agonize about whether the refrigerator should be on this wall or that. Or how far the fridge is from the sink. Sometimes I don't think it matters. How one cooks and being organized are significant factors in layout.

OK, well, is it obvious I have reached the breaking point? I am sick of moving cabinets, appliances and sinks around on the page, and trying to visualize cabinet finishes and wall color. Pulling 10' 2x4s off the ceiling should have been cathartic, but I just had too much time to think! It's rainy, everything is brown, I am hungry and the kitchen is covered with sheets. Ack! I'll shut up now.

Comments (8)