SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
solie_gw

replace cabs/replace doors, or paint?

solie
16 years ago

I am considering reconfiguring my kitchen. We have partial overlay Woodmode cabinets installed by the previous owners. We made some minor changes four years ago and moving the cabs was no problem. Should I try to re-use these cabinets? They are partial overlay with a distressed and glazed finish. I HATE this finish. It looks dirty and doesn't "match" the architecture of the house. I figure my options are:

Get new full-overlay shaker doors and paint everything off-white (I've been told the bulk of the cost of cabs is the doors, so this doesn't make sense. I have my doubts. These are real solid, clean boxes). I think I could do the base cabs with what we have and buy new for the uppers (I want taller cabs).

Just paint and live with the partial overlay, too elaborate doors.

Get new cabinets.

Do nothing and spent the next 5- 10 years in a 12x11 ugly kitchen.

But here's the kicker - Our house is a split-level (although it's attractive - REALLY!), so in our expensive neighborhood it's likely a teardown.

I already have two new-ish d/w and a sub-zero. The range is on it's last legs anyway. I would like to reconfigure so that the kitchen is open to the family room (we would also be be making the den a living room and the living room a family room).

Opinions? I'm leaning toward new doors. My husband says just get new. I *like* the look of painted, brush-stroked cabinets and I want my trim to match, so I think even if I only save a little money, it's worth recycling.

Also - what do you think the typical lifespan of a kitchen is? Would you re-do your kitchen if it was for just 5 -10 years? What's you guesstimate for labor, no materials (everything would be moved, including plumbing and electric).

Thanks!

Comments (13)