SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cyc2001

Paint custom oak cabinets and get new doors, or replace altogether?

cyc2001
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

cyc2001's Ideas · More Info

I spent months researching how to paint oak cabinets before I decided to replace them, concluding that the labor would be too expensive. I had a cabinet painter come here last year who estimated ~$20K to paint the oak cabinets plus 3 bathroom vanities, which is what prompted me to abandon this whole avenue. But...I'm pretty sure I'm keeping the exact same floor plan, AND my cabinets are very high quality custom cabinets, not builder's grade.

Both my prospective contractor and the kitchen designer, guys who have worked in the area for decades, took one look at my cabinets and named the guy who built them 30 years ago and then waxed on about how fabulous his work was.

Not surprisingly, the cabinet guy said it would be too expensive to pain them and it was more cost effective to replace. But the contractor suggested we consider painting them to save money and could modify the cabinets a bit and add matching new cabinetry above fridge, in shallow pantry and along a blank wall behind the kitchen table.

Now I'm thinking we should find a painter to test out the look on the bathroom vanity (also custom built). And if we like it, I'd also want to get new doors maybe from Scherr's, to get the Shaker look I want.

Am I crazy to be going back to the drawing board?

ETA: I posted a few other threads but don't know how to link to them - one on layout, and an earlier one about whether to remove the ceiling beams (we are going to remove them). :)

Comments (27)