SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
naturelle_gw

service water pipe grounding

naturelle
16 years ago

I have the plumbers here, and they are just finishing up a changeover of the service water entry from 1/2" to 3/4".

I had total loss of water starting on Saturday. I've had low water pressure from the time I moved in ( I knew the incoming water supply was 1/2" and also there was water volume problems at the fixtures), and to top it off the old gate valve stopped working. I closed it on Saturday to do some valve replacements and when I went to open it, the knob just spun freely in both directions. It seems the innards were locked in the shut mode and the knob did not engage the operation.

So I decided to get the work done once and for all, and luckily it was scheduled for today.

I have water back finally, and it seems to be a stronger flow than previously. It s hould be better still when I get the city to upgrade their portion to 3/4" and replace the 1/2" meter with a 3/4" meter. I'll have other plumbing re-routing later to be more efficient also.

The original line was not properly grounded. It merely had a braided cable attached to the line jumping across the water meter. I believe I should have a proper ground wire, jumping across the water meter, but terminating at the breaker box. My first question is what type and gauge of wire should I use? Also, do I terminate the wire at by attaching it directly to the breaker box, or could I terminate it at a free neutral or ground slot?

Thanks for the help,

Ted

Comments (6)