SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mamajean15

Liv rm pics:Please make me over!

mamajean15
13 years ago

All of this living room furniture will be gone. We are hoping to start fresh and buy new but desperately need your design help. Paint color will stay (SW Ivoire) but willing to do accent wall. Rugs, furniture and pathetic TV stand will be gone. I am really wanting advice on 1. Sectional or sofa/loveseat chair group * dont know if it would have to be 37" and under= lover backed since it sits in middle of room and not against wall.

1. What to do with large wall (planned on large TV

new entertainment stand/console
  2. Anything you can think of.

We are a family of 7 (5 kiddos under 7 yrs of age) so need something rather durable but still stylish. I really want the room to have a cozy, light tone thats bright and not formal since it is our great room/main room of house. Kitchen is to the right of pics. Front door you come in and see great room straight ahead with large blank wall to left and fireplace ahead. This room is giving me a headache. We would love to furniture shop this weekend but would love input from you all and fresh ideas. I feel the fireplace is dark, flooring obviously dark therefore I am hesitant to get dark leather sofa/sectional and have a cave like appearance. Leaning toward tan leather but again does the "tone" make sense. Im worried about my kids marking light leather but more worried about fabric. Since my kitchen cabs are dark cherry would dark cherry couch and whitish right flow nicely or be to dark. Ive always felt the windows looked barren and cold without fabric or bamboo shades to dress them up. A designer told me leave them alone their beautiful bare (?) This is my dilemma. Whats practical/functional AND what fits the space best. I love sectionals but worry if it will overpower the area and cramp it. I need a balance of both. Thanks in advance.

>

>

>

>

Comments (61)

• mamajean15
    Original Author
    13 years ago

alison,
    Yes that is our primary TV greatroom viewing area. I am thinking of a low 60-65"long tv console. With that ceiling height being 18 feet I am worried the standard 30+" ones will looked dwarfed with the space above. Dont know if its still in style or I want to do a wall unit. I did see an open type one with lots of shelving that Ive considered but again am torn if that wall needs a big unit or to just put console there with tv flanked by lamps..maybe artwork hung and centered above tv. I agree about the window tx needed although noone else I ask over does. They say leave alone. I say they look barren. I would have to carry over in the breakfast area as it is a combined space and flows to the eye. I will try and upload a better photo.

thank you for the mock up. Its the exact placement I had in mind (actually only placement). We also thought a chair with back sort of against fireplace wall facing great room would look appropriate.

As per my other posts I am shopping for a new kitchen/dining table that is more narrow, seats 8 and has a pop of color (french country cream perhaps). I suggested to my husband that we have the amish give us a bid on doing a bench seating arrangement around the breakfast area and chairs on opposite side. We want a more narrow table to tuck back so we can fit barstools (havent bought those yet due to kids being so young and them falling over on them). He doesnt feel a bench/built in seating arrangement would be right there. He agrees maybe a dining table with a bench on one side would but we havent found one yet. I like the idea of neutral curtain panels in maybe a burlap/canvas (not right word I know) type of textured fabric.

• User
    13 years ago

You're welcome. You set up is similar to ours only our fireplace is centered on the wall were your TV will be and our TV is angled in the corner. We still have one of those huge TVs, but I've drawn up plans for built ins on either side of the fireplace so when that's finished we'll change to a flat screen.

As for you dining area I think it would look awesome with a built in bench in the bay area, a long table with chairs at either end and across the side facing the window. If you get a better picture of that area I could try and do a virtual for you. Not sure how perfect it will be, but it might help your hubby visualize it. I know my hubby needs pictures before he can decide on many of my ideas.

• Related Discussions

OK...looked thru pics..please help me build a small pond for.....

Q

Comments (18)
    Hey there, Brenda. Lots of research does make things easier and total immersion in the topic, just like learning a new language, helps you catch on to the things that are important. This forum has a lot of info being talked about by lots of people, some of whom get pretty technical. There are plenty of others who keep it simple. Now I am going to be mean. Sometimes the limitations we cannot change make us give up some things we really want. A list of each can help see the realities. After I looked at the pond you like and read what you wanted, I realized you can't have all of it. I don't want to discourage you. You can still have a lovely and totally satisfying pond/water garden. The pond you like is a rigid preform. It is probably 72"x48" and 18" deep. It holds 125 gallons and will take 3-4 3" fish. Those dimensions are for Maccourt ponds which seems to be the most common preform. There are some new ones that are foldable made of virgin vinyl but that doesn't seem to be what you are looking at. There are also some pond kits that include plastic liners and EPDM rubber liners are very versatile. The volume of water in any of these ponds would prevent you from having koi. Koi grow to very large proportions and soon your fishies wouldn't have room to turn around, literally. I have a 1000 gallon pond and some of my 6" koi are now 12-14" after only one season. One that is 3 years old is now even larger than that. In addition I have a population of comets, sarrasa and other related fishies and they started breeding last year. Many of them started as 1" feeder fish. All of them need room to move! Fast! I'm getting nervous. There are many colorful fish other than koi that you would enjoy but you would need to control the numbers and figure out a way to keep them over winter. I put my gourami and guppies in the pond for the summer and put them back in aquariums in the winter. The cold would kill them. In your zone, it is possible for an 18 inch pond to freeze solid but more likely it would only have ice to 4-6 inches. I would wait through a full winter to see just how deep the ice goes before investing in fish other than goldfish. Gases that accumulate in the water could kill larger fish with only that much free water. An EPDM or plastic lined pond could give you the depth you need but the volume still would limit the number and type of fish. Don't despair! No one ever got it right the first time they were designing a home and you are designing a home for fish... and plants. Now that I have managed to scotch some of your dreams, (sorry, sorry, sorry) the necessary hardware can be put up for discussion. Sandy Here is a link that might be useful: preform ponds
    ...See More

How can we make mom move to assist. liv?

Q

Comments (14)
    You really are in the worst possible situation here - and the worst is that everyone is at a distance. I agree that you should contact your local Alzheimer's Assn. chapter. Also, there's an Academy Award nominated film by Deborah Hoffmann called Complaints of a Dutiful Daughter which is a beautiful chronicle of a daughter trying to do the right thing at the right time for her Mother who has Alzheimer's. I wouldn't be surprised if it couldn't be downloaded off the internet. Just some random thoughts that may not apply. Do you know if your MIL sees her doctor regularly? Sometimes something easily curable like a bladder infection really knocks the elderly on their pins - mood changes and acting nutty. Those can lead to dehydration, blood pressure drops, dizziness and falls. At the stage where your MIL is now, being a little delusional is a kind of defense mechanism (which she probably isn't even aware of) for her being confused and forgetful. Making notes, of course, is the same, but that won't last too long. There are so many different kinds of dementia, at least 35, but for those people in my support groups who have a loved one with Alzheimer's type dementia plus hallucinations - Lewy Body dementia is brought into the mix. Is there someone in the town where she lives who could be trusted to call her on a regular basis? Neighbor, friend, someone from a church group? You or your BIL even though it would be long distance? As long as mail and newspapers, etc. are disappearing, those people who come by the house daily would never be aware someone inside might need assistance. Would she consent to a device like "LifeLine"? It happens sometimes that the local police are asked to check on the welfare of someone elderly and that could result in Social Services being called in. Even in assisted living, someone might still have to help manage some of her affairs. Your BIL with her POA or a guardian. No matter what, it's going to be gut wrenching, but it makes more sense to consider bringing her to a facility close to you or your BIL rather than leaving her protected in a facility but still at some great distance from either of her sons. And the time to look into facilities is now. You're not obligated, but at least you'd know what's out there when the time comes. Like asolo said, sometimes it's that catastrophic event that forces your hand. But sometimes despite someone's best efforts, catastrophies occur. I know this is eating you up, but you've got to try and look at things with a "colder eye" so you've got the right frame of mind for the decisions that are going to come down the road.
    ...See More

Forever search for wall sconces may be over - pics please weigh i

Q

Comments (12)
    thanks angel &Paint chips The "box" is not a box rather a plate that the electrician, by law has to put over live wires that were buried in the wall & he couldn't access w/o ripping out a lot of plaster. I don't think I have the option or want to go through the hassle of electrifying - rather convert these if I go w/them Yes, they do look rustic but I do see beauty beneath the surface. If I do keep them I would get them back to the orig finish as best I can - It seems to really rub off and there is brass surface.
    ...See More

Contemporary pendant in mostly trad liv rm

Q

Comments (3)
    Thank you for providing all of the links, Terriks! Palimpsest, you make a good point about the light. I think that in this case, I might be able to use the mocha instead of the ivory, but the chocolate would be too dark, and I guess the orange isn't suitable, either. Thank you.
    ...See More
  • cupofkindness
    13 years ago

You have a lot of architectural features to design around in that room! I have seven children and at one point I did have five children under seven, so I certainly understand your lifestyle. You're just tired all the time.

I would say this, that I have come to prefer tight-back sofas rather than sofas like the pottery barn sectional linked above. Yes, it's gorgeous, but in the long run I think that pillows and lots of cushiony back cushions are harder to maintain.

I would recommend a pair of good sized sofas, the same size. It gives you lots of options. You can arrange them in an "L" or you can set them up parallel to one another. As the years pass, the look will grow up with your children. Is there a formal living room in your house?

It is very hard to balance a room with two focal points. The fireplace will visually compete with any TV set up. You might want to consider the treatment of your fireplace before you make any final plans unless you love the way it looks. It commands a lot of attention. Balancing that with furniture and other features such as the staircase is a challenge.

• mamajean15
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, we were out furniture shopping this weekend with no purchases made AGAIN> I swear I become more confused the more I shop. I found a beautiful tan leather sofa/love seat set and it was top on my list. With that I cannot really go light carpet underneath (I was thinking of doing same type carpet as in house, light/med in tone and getting it cut and bound to angle around the fireplace leaving a perimeter of hardwood flooring). This will help with the noise bouncing and provide a more cozy feeling in great room. Anyway, cant really go light tan leather sofa and same light tone carpet as it will look blah. Then I see a dark brown leather sofa but worry again - cave like. Now Im leaning toward a cherry type leather sofa to pick up tone in floor and kitchen cabs and still provide ability for light carpet underneath. I don't know why its so darn hard deciding on sofas. With these kids I guess Im just crazy to do light tan fabric OR leather right? One pen mark and its toast as they say. I am trying to force myself on a darker toned couch as I just haven't found a med tone one. Why is the style WHITE/ivory or dark brown right now? Where is the in between. I could so see that style fading fast and within two years the ivory dating itself. How many recall want a white leather couch in there room decor?

http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=520262&PseudoCat=se-xx-xx-xx.esn_results

Tonight Im heading out again. Heres my goal. I would like to put a redish accent chair with paisley print flanking fireplace. I would also like my tone to be , medium carpet, reddish accent chair and linen type curtain panels as you all recommended. My question is what tone of leather couch would you pair this with? I dont want to go overly dark (pic of above sofa is dark as they get) and still keep in mind wood tone of floor is reddish/orange with cherry cabinets. I will post a pic of my accent chair Im thinking of buying. thank you.

Here is a link that might be useful: dark brown sofa

• mamajean15
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Heres the snazzy accent chair. Let me know what you think. Whatever sofa I choose I could see similiar pillows on it with some butter color, tan, sage whatever as well. Theres lots of neutral tones in this chair. I really and just stumped on what you would pair it with sofa wise. As I said, if only I could find a dark tan/putty colored leather sofa. My quest continues. *I havent purchased this chair yet. I am a little skeptical how it is going to hold up with kids.

Here is a link that might be useful: red paisley accent chair

• msrose
    13 years ago

valinsv has that same chair with a medium toned sectional, so thought this might help you visualize it.

Here is a link that might be useful: valinsv's chloe chair

• mamajean15
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you so much for the link to the chloe recliner. You must have quite the memory.
    We came across this beautiful pecan toned color faux leather sofa that would seem great for our kids as far as hiding marks, being comfortable with fabric etc. My husband loves it but I am apprehensive due to the color and size. Youve seen my great room pics. Do you think it needs to be something sleeker. Does this color fit the decor even though kitchen cabs in close proximity are of a cherry nature and this is more of a pecan brownish. I dont want to match our floors but this sofa does. I keep telling my husband maybe we will have too much wood tones in the area. Im also a little bummed as I cant bring in the red chloe cherry and red toned accent as they just dont work with this sofa in my opinion. I will try and post option #2 I like that is a completely different sofa. I look forward to your comments as always.

Here is a link that might be useful: faux leather sofa

• mamajean15
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here is the second choice. Im rather concerned about light soft leather color with kids but attracted to how easy it would be to decorate around with how neutral it is in color.

Here is a link that might be useful: tan leather sofa

• kellyh_2010
    13 years ago

Have you considered slipcovers? I was skeptical but now love ours. We only have two kids and a lab and the slipcovers have saved us. We bought one from IKEA (was also very skeptical about IKEA) but figured for $599, we could buy 3 sofas from IKEA for the price of one from Pottery Barn or Macy's. We've had it almost 3 years now and it still looks great. I've washed the covers several times and they still look great and fit well. They do have sectionals which for your room, I would also recommend as you can fit more people cuddled together vs two sofas. It gives you the option of having something that looks stylish and comfortable without worrying so much about your children wrecking it.

• mamajean15
    Original Author
    13 years ago

cupofkindness, thanks for the response. I totally agree in that I like the tight backed sofa. Inevitably I find one of my kids playing around and climbing along the top every now and then. A pillow backed sofa would either be on the floor all the time or smashed down. Im really leaning toward leather now like I said. Natuzzi gets some harsh reviews sometimes on this forum but its baby soft and very tempting.
    We dont have a formal living room but plan on taking these old couches and putting them in our front empty room and making a casual sitting room for the kids.
    Kellyh. I cant say Ive been impressed with the slipcovered sofas by the way. I think I would be totally annoyed and lazy with if something spilled, taking them off, washing and reshaping and ironing putting them on. I would rather just wipe off a soft leather to tell you the truth. My cushions now zip off and while its a total lifesaver to be able to wash them, I HATE the ordeal and they start to show the wear and tear from stuffing the pillow back in. I appreciate the input though.
    Im considering a light tan or red leather sofa now. Nervous about body oils and pen marks or such on the light tan leather but like the lightness in the house. Red will add lots of color but not sure if I would grow tired of it quickly. Im getting to the stage Im ready to let my husband go out and order something. YIKES! Im starting to lose it ladies.

• charlikin
    13 years ago

I don't think you should rule out dark brown for the sofa/sectional. I have a dark brown sofa with light-colored walls and light tan carpeting, and the room doesn't feel like a cave at all. You have a big open space there, light-colored walls, big windows... sounds like you're going a lighter color on the floors. It could look terrific AND you wouldn't have to worry about care at all.

Maybe it's a matter of the "right" dark brown - like not an almost-black one, but a rich chocolate brown that would be dark but still have some life in it.

Would look great with the red chair, too. :-)

• arcy_gw
    13 years ago

Your sconces sort of control the curtain story on your door. I agree with you, no fabric makes a room feel cold, colorless. There are ways to dress a window and show them off, a valance as suggested for instance. I don't think your designer had YOU in mind. The latest trend is not always the best choice for every individual. The bench seating would be practical and space saving. Be sure and put under-storage there. It is a perfect place for kids art supplies!! I liked mine because when my kids were little I had no chairs in the house they could move (for climbing purposes). We turned an area that fit two into one that could accommodate 6 with a corner unit trestle table and bench seating. Chairs take up a lot of space.
    Be sure and show us the end result!

• User
    13 years ago

Blondie, how'd the sofa search with your DH go yesterday?

• mamajean15
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, not so good. The sofa he loved i just did not like the arm lines in at all so therefore it was a bust on that end. HE did find a contemporary style (we dont normally like contemp style) but it was low profile in back and a sectional with a sort of neat/odd end to the back and chaise. Pretty open at the end and kinda cool for our house. Just not totally sold on the look yet. Cant believe he liked it as we compared rustic husbands remember. I wonder if I am burning him out and he just "reaching" now ahhaha. Today we went out again and we did see a beautiful leather sofa/loveseat. In stock its only in brown and special order color is a brick red/dark red and quite beautiful. Problem its a 6 month wait to order it and get it by barge overseas!!!!! yes, 6 mths. That really turns me off but maybe good things are worth waiting for????I worry I would change my mind in that time frame and not even like it and start second guessing the dark red leather sofa thing. Uhhhh decisions. I just need to look at one or two more local stores. Im just sooo over this decorating thing. I have dreamed of this day and here it is and I cant find anything that makes my heart skip a beat you know.
    Love the sheer textured curtains you found at JcPenney by the way. I am definitely considering that in my memory bank IF and WHEN I find a darn sofa. thanks for inquiring.

• User
    13 years ago

Well, sorry it's not going as smoothly as you had hoped, the good news is, it's spring and a lot of stores are getting in their new lines.

In regards to the wait, six months does seem like a long time, geeze...however I have heard from both the stores we've bought our furniture from that a lot of the furniture was damaged during the tsunami. Apparently even though manufacturers may not have been located where it took place, a lot of the cargo ships were caught in the rough seas and the cargo was damaged as a result. We were expecting the replacements for our damaged table and server at the end of March and were told it would now be the end of April.

• drybean
    13 years ago

I just wanted to add my 0.02 about Natuzzi. We have a Natuzzi chocolate brown leather set for 6+ years now and it wears like iron. I have two small kids and one big dog, and our set is just now beginning to show signs of wear. That includes an overseas move.

I can't imagine having anything else other than leather with small kids and pets. Our velvet custom made sofa looks like Hell.

• mamajean15
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thanks drybean. The sofa I told you about we are interested is infact a natuzzi. Soft as butter, comfy and solid as a rock. Gosh reading this forum though makes one gunshy to order one. Sometimes I think I should listen to my husband and stop reading reviews and such. And i wonder why my decisions are harder than normal ahahhaha. Why cant I just be like most normal people who see something, buy it and live with it happy as a lark. Gosh, when will I learn. Thank you for the great comments for once about the line. Glad you are thrilled with it. I have a Lazy boy 15 yrs old thats built solid as a rock with no other problems but fabric getting marks with the kiddos. Everyone tells me lazyboy isnt built the same either. Who knows.

• htnspz
    13 years ago

I have a Natuzzi leather sectional. The frame has broken twice but thankfully it has a ten year warranty through Macys. The leather is good quality even if the pillows have been smooshed down. I have a cat and even when he digs his claws in and scratches, the leather heals if you rub it.

• htnspz
    13 years ago

I forgot to add that if I had to do all over again, I would probably not buy Natuzzi again. While ten years is a good amount of time, I baby the sectional tremendously to the point I don't enjoy it.
    I was also incorrect about the arm part being used as additional seating as people don't ever sit on it. I would at least get a sectional with two arms rather than a chaise.
    In addition, I tend to agree of the visual weight of dark brown. It might be okay in your case as it's usually a good idea to pick a sofa color that either matches the floor or the wall in order to lessen it's visual impact.

• mamajean15
    Original Author
    13 years ago

htnspz I never thought of the dark brown thing lessening the impact of the dark wall. I am afraid of it feeling even darker. Im so torn with the style of sofa appropriate for the space. I feel my couches are two honkin large pieces too massive for the space. I imagine something a little sleeker or backs not as high or arms not so large on the ends or something. I almost feel like Ill know it when I see it. I did see a beautiful burgundy leather sofa but the arms were almost larger than mine now. Im not sure why my sofas look SO INAPPROPRIATE in the space style wise (also plaid fabric and color not helping). Anyone have any input on "the look" of the seating appropriate for this space then please throw me some opinions.

• htnspz
    13 years ago

I think it's the orientation of the sofas. They do seem to fit a bit awkward. What that usually says to me is to consider changing the floor plan. I would explore different options like the larger sofa across from the fireplace so as to counterbalance the visual weight of the fireplace. I would consider angling the sofa so it's directly across the fireplace as another idea. Normally I don't advocate that sort of seating arrangement but it might feel nicer. Then maybe, if it's feeling too bulky, consider using side chairs rather than a loveseat. Also, II always like the idea of a table in back of a sofa so that it's welcoming to walk into the space. It's not that inviting to walk into the back of a sofa.
    In your case, I would not do a dark sofa in the room. I know I suggested that it might be okay but I prefer to stick with sofas that are the same tone, color or perhaps even lighter than the walls so as to lessen their visual weight. I had recently heard a theory about using sofa colors that match the floor or walls, but I haven't tried it nor am I truly convinced it would work in in the case of dark brown (maybe if there were dark brown walls, I dunno).

• User
    13 years ago

I'm going to be the voice of decent here, but depending on it's size and shape of course, I don't think a darker leather sectional would look bad at all. In fact, I think your room has the perfect layout for it and visually, it will offer some nice balance and contrast to the space. You're so lucky to have a lot of light as well as the height to carry it, I wish I did. I also think it would be really pretty with the fireplace especially using the layout Justgottabeme pictured above. Floating the sofa in middle of the room like that is really the perfect configuration. See how it defines the space and then visually balances it with the heavier fireplace? And functionally it allows anyone sitting on it to see the tv, the fireplace and to have conversation.

I believe the problem for you is, you just haven't found that "one" yet and as a result you're having a tough time visualizing the space. Frustrating I know, but be patient so you don't buy the wrong piece in haste. And you're so right, just like with anything, you'll know it when you see it. Once you find it, the room can take it's direction from there. You'll be able to add your window treatments, a little art and lighting and it will be beautiful.

If this is where your family is going to spend the majority of their time, I'd focus more of my attention on function, comfort and durability first and then maybe even let that determine which direction style wise you take the room. I have learned the hard way, function over form. Just measure the space, so you know how much sofa you can actually fit in there comfortably. To me, buying pieces that are proportionate to the room is the hardest part. I have to add that looking at the pieces you've considered thus far it seems like you naturally lean towards the traditional side which would be lovely in the room.

I do agree that the chaise is a waste. We've been there done that and never again. We couldn't use it! The ones attached to the sectionals are so poorly designed because naturally a person's feet doesn't have the same weight as their arse so when sitting on one, the heavier arse end makes the lighter feet end flip up. All it did for the entire time we had ours was collect dust, eat up space and make furniture placement nearly impossible. --Lukki

• redstar123
    13 years ago

I wouldn't be buying an overly expensive couch with that many kids (any young kids at all) because it can't be indestructible.

Save the sofa with a 6 month waiting list for later in life, or buy something like that for your master bedroom, if you absolutely have to have it now.

For your family room, I do highly recommend a sectional. I bought one, then months later moved into our house. It didn't fit in our family room, but does fit in our living room. I miss it, since of course, the family room gets most of the wear and tear and use. On the other hand, I'm replacing the family room couch again, and the sectional is still there.

• mamajean15
    Original Author
    13 years ago

You ladies are just awesome on this forum. Thank you for the attention in this annoying couch drama. I do feel in my heart that a sectional is the best idea but just havent found "it". Lukkirsh Im still trying to get a darn swatch from that faux leather of yours. It just may work in my space. Do you think the arms and such are to chunky (your sofa will be partially against wall so doesnt seem to require a slimmer design). Am I a weirdo saying that it needs to be more sleek here ladies. If you would take the time to refer back to my orginal picture of top where I removed sofas from the room...see where the narrow wall is with the metal creamish wall hangings are? I always saw some mood lighting there with a nice candlestick lamp/s on a narrow cabinet/buffet etc. The granite bar sticks out right adjacent to that wall. Putting something on a table you wouldnt see the granite jut out as your eye would be distracted. My husband doesnt think there is almost room for a sectional (back would be very close to that wall) AND a narrow dimension table 15"-18" deep. I guess I really need to measure everything out tonight. I cant trust his vision and we must be on the same page. Tell me the measurements in length of that sectional please lukkirish. I am dying to see the new one in smoother cherry faux when it comes. Im still considering but cannot buy something I cant find in person to sit on. Im on a quest to try to locate it in or around our area with no luck yet. Your probably all right about saving the italian leather sofa for later in life. Who am I kidding with 5 kids under 7 yrs of age. Your all probably wondering why Im getting anything ahhaha. I need something that is functional, wipeable and comfortable and will not break the bank. I dont want to yell at my kiddos all the time over a darn piece of furniture. This is there home where they should feel comfortable. Thank you again for your responses. .

• forster
    13 years ago

Have you thought of burgundy leather, it would be lovely with the accent chair you posted. We bought a burgundy leather loveseat and overstuffed chair from Sears ten years ago and it just gets better with age. It was the first set we looked at and I said that we could not buy it until we looked at others, I continued to look and look and look and still came back to it, have enjoyed it immensely. I just checked and it is Natuzzi. Has large rolled arms.
    You will know when you find the right one......

• User
    13 years ago

Blondie, I don't find the arms to be over sized, but it's subjective I guess. I'd say they're similar to the striped sofa you have in the photo. The great thing about this particular sectional is you can get it in any configuration. Did you look at that site I referred you to? They have all the documentation available from Broyhill posted and the dimensions are determined by which layout you want. We got 5080-2 first one on the left which has an additional armless piece to make it an L shape but as you can see, you can get the wedge style as well. These were pulled from www.furniturebarrel.com. They have a chat box why not ask the if there is a swatch they can send you? Also if you call Broyhill maybe someone in their consumer relations department can tell you which store in your area carries this sofa/sectional. I'm sure someone does.

• Valerie Noronha
    13 years ago

I just went over your thread and was surprised to see msrose link to a (very) old thread of mine about my FR. We've been in similar delimna furnishing our smallish family room and we are a family of 5 (though have 2 teenagers). I really thought a sectional would solve our seating battles for optimal TV viewing, but alas it was not enough; hence the introduction of the Chloe recliner. It's a great little recliner since it is more compact than many others if you decide you have room for it, but first things first, would be to decide on the sectional. Ours is nothing fancy, just a microfiber one from JC Penneys. Even with teenagers, kids are just rough on furniture so I whole heartedly agree with advice above to get something practical and not break the bank. My kids have gotten pen marks on my sofa many times, but the microfiber is very easy to care for. I love leather, but I would also hestiate if this is sofa you use daily. When I bought a pre-certified car a few years back I was so excited to have leather seats, but within one week, my DS put his backpack on the seat and unknown to him a pen was poking through and when he pulled out his backpack it put a big scratch in my leather. I'm so glad I didn't get the brand new car, but opted for one 2-3 years old instead! So, if you get leather, you need to be open to that possibility of having it scratched. Even if your kids are well behaved and you have rules, not only do accidents happen, but they will have friends over who may not be as careful in your home.

I would also suggest adding an ottoman over a coffee table--not only adds some extra seating and place for everyone to prop up their feet when watching TV (otherwise everyone will want to lounge on the sectional, but with your family size there just isn't the space), but safer for little ones. We have a storage ottoman and stash games and puzzles in there. My DS sits on it when he plays video games as he likes to be closer to the TV. One day it will go..... but for now, it all works great and best of all, I do not stress over much about things.

• jterrilynn
    13 years ago

Hi Blondie, I had very good quality bone colored leather sofa's and love seats for the first twelve years of my kids lives, plus I had dogs. We did have a formal living area but the leather was all in the TV/family room. There is pro's and cons on any type of sofa or sectional you pick. Dark leathers will show scratches, light leather will show pen marks, although my kids were not allowed pens on the couch. Fabric gets stinky and has to be professionaly cleaned. Whatever you pick, with the number of kids you have...well think maybe eight to eleven year sofa life span. Even if the framing is sound you are going to want to ditch it all after so much use. To me it always made more sense to get a lighter color leather because I could see the dirt and keep it clean. A darker carpet was an Absolute Must. Kids and light colored carpets to not mix well unless you carpet clean often. Your whole room no matter how clean it may be will look nasty with stained light carpet. Have fun with your picks and show us pictures!

• jterrilynn
    13 years ago

Hi, me again! This is what I have lived and learned with my leather and kids (plus the above). This first sectional style works well as there are no short wood legs for them to run toys into and mess up the wood. This type is easy to clean because it does not have all the folds for gunk to gather in. I'm not sure if this one has removable cushions. You want removable cushions for easier cleaning in the areas between seating.

Good type

http://s1004.photobucket.com/albums/af170/jterrilynn/?action=view&current=schillig_tivoli_sectional.jpg"; target="_blank">

This sectional is a little more of a pain to keep nice with
    with kids. See those arm rest thingy's? They get all flat like a pancake and look bad after awhile and are a pain to clean around (lots of places for gunk to stick). Same with any kind of seams or stacked pillowy look back rests. The more flim flam on backs rests the longer it will take to clean, lots of places for gunk to hide. Keep it simple! There are many nice simple leather sectionals that have a transitional type of french arm rest that you may like.

Bad type

http://s1004.photobucket.com/albums/af170/jterrilynn/?action=view&current=imagesCAFKNC58.jpg"; target="_blank">

• mamajean15
    Original Author
    13 years ago

"img src="[IMG]http://i55.tinypic.com/2n60y0.jpg[/IMG]>

Thank you for the response. Below is a link for the couch my husband found and loves and we are considering. I swear, are you sure your NOT MY HUSBAND typing from work. Sounds funny I know. Wouldnt suprise me as hes tired of me online reading this forum ahah. He says exactly what you posted regarding crumbs getting stuck in crevices, pillows being attached etc. This link to this couch looks to modern for me with the metal feet (never thought of kid friendly as you noted) but store says they will also include wooden block type feet for a more traditional feel. They are willing to sell floor model but I was thinking today who are they kidding. They are only knocking like $120 off. Big deal, it in need of major major dusting job and otherwise looks good but you can tell its been in there awhile. I started thinking, maybe if I offered a 20 or 30% discount and will take it on the spot they would go for it to get it out of their store and realize they have a serious buyer. The kids are going to do a number on it anyway so if I got a good discount it would be worth it. Im worried about the light tan but do think it would flow with the grout and my fireplace tone nicely. You are so funny in that the pic of leather with ripples is another I considered but he pointed out crumb magnet....are you sure your names not Jeff. You even have my first and middle name in your code..hmmmmmmmmm awfully ironic tee hee. thanks for your response and time to photoshop pics. Thats where I know its not my hubby he wouldnt have a clue how to import those photos I dont think. Whats your opinions also lukkirsh and avesmore. I am sooo bad at importing photos so sorry I couldnt make it show up in my message here.

Here is a link that might be useful: potential couch photo

• jterrilynn
    13 years ago

This is not the coffee table that's in my head, but close.
    If you could find something that had a glass top (kids do a number on wood top surfaces) with non sharp corners and wood storage stools that slide under like this picture I think you would find it very useful.You and your husband may even get to watch part of a show while the older children are putting puzzles together on the muti-purpose coffee table.

http://s1004.photobucket.com/albums/af170/jterrilynn/?action=view&current=HinesCoffeeTablewithStorageOttomans.jpg"; target="_blank">{{!gwi}}

• mamajean15
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I saw one like that in brown at Macys. I was thinking of a large brown ottoman that kids can lay all over and play video games etc. We dont allow food and drinks in there now so certainly wont when its beautified:) so not concerned about hard topped. I saw a nice one on costco website even for cheap. I wanted to point out floor model sofa pictured above is $2297, in need of severe dusting and cleaning up but a little rag work and it would look fine plus has a few wrinkles. Since kids will do a number on it I was wondering if I should low ball them to get it off the showroom floor. It is red tagged at $2297 and new is $2399 with 3 mth wait list minimum. What do you think, not a big discount theyre giving. As I said, I dont think people are breaking the doors down to order at this store so looks like its sat awhile. I thought a 20-30% discount would be fair but am I nuts. What do you think as far as style and hold up with the small kiddos in my space. Thank you. (you must be great at picture mockups so quickly). I used tinypic.com but still have problems imbedding photos in my messages.

• jterrilynn
    13 years ago

That's funny that you are looking at a floor samples, exactly what our first leather was. Like you we visited the floor sample but didn't think it was marked down enough. They finally took an extra few hundred off. There are some people on here that will have better advice on how furniture markups work and what sort of offer to put in. We bought ours from Burdines a zillion years ago but I do remember that it was a good savings. I really like that table you show. How old are your youngest? Any worries about the sharp corners and tots learning to walk? What would be a little more worry free is something with rounded corners...if there is such a thing.

• annzgw
    13 years ago

Before you make an offer on the last sofa, buy some painters tape and tape off the floor in the same dimensions as the sofa. Also do the same for the sofa table you're considering. I'm not sure that room can handle both, but photos can be deceiving!
    I like the lines of the sofa you're considering but I'm not sure how that open end will look floating in a room.

You mentioned earlier that you found a sofa and love seat that you loved but you worried about a light colored rug. I owned a light tan leather sofa for years (no kids at home but had 2 dogs that used it), then the sofa went to live with my DS/DIL and their 3 dogs for another 8 yrs. It was a well made sofa with quality leather and it still looked good 15 yrs later. It was just beginning to show signs of wear where DS's dog jumped up on it repeatedly.
    Anyway, back to the rug. A light colored rug will work fine under a light sofa, as long as it has some contrast, pattern or colored pattern. I had a light colored rug under my sofa but it also had some pastel colors of rose/blue/beige in it. I still have the rug and use it in my BR.

I fully understand your dilemma since I was there years ago with a new home we purchased. I found using an in-store designer from the furniture store saved us money in the long run. We're still using most of the furniture today and since we bought several pieces we got a nice discount on everything.

• k9arlene
    13 years ago

I find that the backless part of the sectional is basically useless for comfortable seating. I have always had 2 sofas in my family room (each one can sit 3 people comfortably) and much prefer that over a sectional. Plus, it is much more versitile. If it can work in your space, that's what I would do.

• mamajean15
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Im definitely torn over the backless part of the sectional, if it will be functional, used or just smashed down. I feel its sort of open ended and would look good floating in middle of the room but now you all have me questioning it. Anything looks good against a wall but in the middle of the room you see every flaw on the back, front, end etc. I think thats why its so hard. I like the idea of painters tape and marking it off. I will try that tonight.
    My youngest is 6 mths, then 2, 4, 6, 7yrs. I do so worry about sharp ends which is why I dont intend to get any coffee table but instead some type of soft ottoman. I love the look and want any extra seating I can get. The floor model of that sectional sold on Sat apparently. Thats ok as it comes in a shade a little darker and modeled leather that would hide dirt "a little" better. the search continues.

• htnspz
    13 years ago

The sectional you and your husband are considering is very similar if not the same as the Natuzzi I bought from Macy's. Mine has wooden feet and is a chocolate brown. The back cushions are completely smooshed and the sofa looks terrible today.

• mamajean15
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi htnspz,
    Interesting. I know the sofa it is called the milano. It got rave reviews many times over on the website. I went to visit it in the store on a fabulous sale and WOW is all I can say BEAT! It look so very warn, chocolate leather was all worn and parts looking very thin and cushions all lobsided, smooshed and generally looked terrible. I wondered how long it was in the store. How old is yours. This is what i told my husband...that end cushion/pillow back may get some severe abuse from the kids and smashed down. The corner unit which I could see being the spot that they all lay in and stretch out will deem the rest of the left side useless as theirs not much more sofa. Boy, I think you persuaded me enough. I better find something more solid. Geez, my hunch was confirmed with your statement. Thanks for letting me know. How bout a picture of your so I can show my husband and he can visualize what I have been trying to illicit. thanks.

• home4all6
    13 years ago

I think a sectional is the BEST thing with all the kids. Everyone can snuggle in, it's cosy, and they do love to play on it. a lot. And we let them. what else to get through the long, dark winters? Ours is in the middle of the room. And we have a leather ottoman in the center of it, sometimes, but we often move it for more play space. but it's great for the kids, too, because it's not too sharp, they can cruise around it, or crawl around it, (and it really helps to make great forts) We also have removable cushions, but not the type with 8 zillion pillows. One of my sons loves to perch on TOP of the back cushions, so I have to rotate those around some, but they are still in good shape, and we've had it for 4 years, which in a normal household years, is the equivalent of at least 10 I'd say :)

I will take some pics today to show you (I will TRY to, anyway!)

• htnspz
    13 years ago

It's the same one, I'm afraid. I'll see if I can find a pic for you. I'm pretty embarrassed of it though:( I guess I like things to look good for at least a few years (I've had it for 5 years now). It's my mistake because I knew that the pillows might be an issue because of the way you sit on the sofa). The connection between the chaise and the sofa do not connect properly so there's a gap. The good thing is that when the frame broke, they came and fixed it and they'll continue to do so for the entire ten years so that's good. I do have to say that I adore the leather. It's buttery and beautiful.
    My theory when it has come to getting furniture has always been to see how it wears in a showroom because that is usually an indication of what it will look like in the house. For my formal living room, I almost went with an Ektorp sofa from Ikea but then saw how lumpy and rumpled it looked at Ikea. It has great reviews online but I just couldn't get passed how it looked in the showroom. When I see how it looks online in people's homes, it only strengthen's my thoughts about how it can look. Some people like that crumpled look, I guess.
    I still think you should find a different style with a tighter back. I did like buying it at Macys and if the sofa doesn't have a good warranty, then you can buy the extended warranty.

• jterrilynn
    13 years ago

Blondie, have you tried looking in furniture consignment shops? You would not believe some of the deals I have seen this week on leather sofas. Some people are funny about that sort of thing but its leather and can be washed down. If you have some good consignments shops you may want to have a looky. Maybe you could find a top quality piece less than a price of a cheap one.

• mamajean15
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi and no I havent tried consignment shops. Not alot of goods ones around here and Im due for a new one (not to sound snotty). Mine is 15 yrs old. Do you think :) We went to another furn dealer and designer seemed quite good, had a plan, confident etc. Im being steered in completely different direction than what i thought I needed. For space thought I needed something sleeker. She said with 18 ft ceilings, a catwalk above, towering fireplace that i need something with a statement. She selected this Camel back sofa and I picked out the fabric in a caramel color with nubby material (have to research its makeup). Loved the accent pillows. I only know how to attach one photo at a time so here is the sofa in a dark brown fabric (didnt like how dark it is in person)

• mamajean15
    Original Author
    13 years ago

This is the fabric choice.
    This would be the BEAUTIFUL PILLOWS IM IN LOVE WITH

Here is another option in leather. Dark, cherry leather but very soft. Is this one too bulky or make room look dark?

my only concern with leather is although beautiful tone I wont be able to use the pops of colors of red, orange etc in above pillow to make my space seem lively and fun. I just love those pillows!

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    13 years ago

I too think the fabric would make lovely pillows for the leather sofa in the last picture. I bet someone on this site could identify the fabric, so that you could purchase and have pillows made.

• Valerie Noronha
    13 years ago

I'm confused.... are you no longer considering a sectional?

In your situation, I really think it's all about getting what works for the kids as you can have the most attractive sofa in the world, but if the seating cannot accomodate everyone (and you need to think out 10 years or however long you plan to keep the sofa/sectional and how much sofa space they'll require then) and everyone does not have a good view of the TV, you will just have daily squabbles over who gets the sofa spot and who gets religated to sit on the floor.

That said, I do think it's possible to achieve both, just make sure designer is also aware of your family size.

BTW, I, too, love the cushion fabric.

• mamajean15
    Original Author
    13 years ago

valinsv
    Thank you. I guess we havent found the right sectional yet. My husband just seems resistant on the idea. I do worry about the kids all wanting to sit on the one sofa facing the TV though. I also think the corner part of a sectional would be the "fight spot" and hot spot with daily squablles. Im assuming you love the pillow fabric with all the colors. Its very snazzy and colorful. What do you think of the camelback sofa and fabric choice in carmel tone vs leather one. tough decision as complete opposites. One last pic I will include that would take up most of our room but is only sectional that attracts me is this one. Its 112 X 112 and we worry it would look like a mega monster in middle of room. Function thumbs up though. I cant see it in person as its not in any of our local stores. guess Id have to cross fingers and hope I loved it as much as pic
    http://www.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6.aspx?DeptID=70831&CatID=70831&Grptyp=PRD&ItemId=18227ab&cm_mmc=ShoppingFeed-_-Shopzilla-_-Furniture-_-JCP%20Home%20Beckman%20Place%203%20Piece%20Sectional%20%20Tan&srccode=cii_10043468&cpncode=23-135808703-2

Here is a link that might be useful: beckman sectional

• k9arlene
    13 years ago

I don't know how much entertaining you do, but while it's nice to think of all the kids cuddled up next to each other on a sectional, I'm not so sure visitors would want to share that experience.

• mamajean15
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thanks for your responses. I have already nixed the Beckman sectional I posted a link above. As per your advice and others I just called the store to see who the manufacturer is. Response An import. I said from China. She said yes, theres not manufacturer listed just an important = crappola. The cherry leather is a Lane sofa. I find Lane decent quality myself and nice and taught from ones Ive tried out (seating wise). The camelback is from Emerald craft which I was told builds a great strong sofa but have not educated myself on that maker yet. We dont entertain ALOT but enough. We are taking our sofa/loveseat, slipcovering them and putting them in front room so that will assist in more seating when visitors are here. I agree about others cuddling up on sectional. Sometimes feels weird with no other option to sit. We were thinking 2 sofas or 1 sofa/1 loveseat, reclining leather chair for husband with back to slider and one accent chair for me next to TV console and against large wall + ottoman. Plenty of seating options there. TY

• Valerie Noronha
    13 years ago

There was a recent thread by another forum member who recently purchased a leather sectional which she floated in her room similar to what you are considering. I am linking it below as it may give you a feel for if you like it or not. One thing I liked about the one she bought is it has a curved corner where someone can actually sit.

As for guests seating, my experience is that families with kids tend to socialize with other families with kids so whatever works for your family would most likely work for your guests. And in years to come, your children will be inviting their friends over as well--so in all liklihood, the majority of your "guests" may well be children.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vidyaram's sectional