SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
catherinet11

Whirlpool bath wouldn't shut off

catherinet
16 years ago

Hi all,

We have a Pearl whirlpool bath/shower set up. Its about 10 years old, with very little use to the Whirlpool, which is on its second pump. The first one needed replaced around the 2nd year. :(

Anyhow....I decided to clean the tubing/tub and use it again. I began filling the tub. I was to fill it 2" above the highest jet. I noticed the start/stop button began flashing, but thought I just wasn't remembering how it works. Then, when the water got above the highest jet, the jets started working.

I pressed the on/off switch and it wouldn't respond. I let it run for 20 minutes, thinking it might turn off automatically (which it usually does).....but it didn't. I finally turned off the circuit breaker to that area. I opened the apron up and tried to test the GFCI that the pump is attached to, but its not working.

My question is........why would the pump get stuck ON, if the GFCI was broken?? This is pretty disconcerting. I might have just been using the whirlpool, not noticing it was stuck on, and wouldn't have had the GFCI protection. :(

Thanks for your help.

P.S. Would there be a danger in using it for the shower now, as long as the pump is disconnected? How am I supposed to check that that GFCI is working? .........just maybe monthly see if I can trip it and reset it??

Comment