SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anele_gw

Why do you decorate?

12 years ago

I'm sure this has come up a million times before . . .I've been thinking about it lately!

I tend to focus on decorating a lot when I have a baby! I think this is for a few reasons:

(1) I am home a lot more often, so things that have always bothered me are more "in my face."

(2) It is a sense of control. With a baby, there is "no" control since everything is about the baby. It is always chaotic for awhile, so decorating is sort of something I can control.

(3) I see my home as the backdrop of our lives . . .and I want that backdrop to be warm and welcoming.

Even though these are my reasons right now since my youngest is so little, I think they are always true. I think my environment has always had a strong impact on me. If things are messy, if there is bad lighting, if things just don't "go," if a picture is too small for a space, etc. it always bothers me.

The sense of control-- for sure. We can't control people, but we CAN control things. I also think of decorating as my "lalalalala" (hands over my ears) interest. There is SO MUCH tragedy and awfulness in the world (again, things beyond our control), that this is a way to not only distract myself from it, but also work to create an environment that is the opposite from it: safe, secure, and happy.

Can anyone relate? What are your reasons?

Comments (46)