SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katsmah

adopting 2 cats at the same time?

katsmah
15 years ago

Last month, one of my cats died at age 11 from CRF and cancer. She was my little buddy and I miss her terribly. I still have my 14 year old cat and an 11 year old German Shepherd. My house is too quiet. My 14 year old cat was not friends with the cat who died, and she can be cranky.

Over the last 2 weeks I have been to a few local shelters looking to adopt another cat. I want a cat who will be a good fit in my house, though I don't expect the new cat and my 14 yr old cat to be friends. That they accept each other is good enough.

I have found 2 cats that I am interested in, at 2 different shelters. Both females, both about 1 - 2 years old. I have seen one of the cats who is in a large cat room at a no-kill shelter, interact somewhat with the other cats there. She is a total Omega. Other cats picked on her while I was petting her, and she never once attempt to fight back. The shelter is over crowded, she is a nice sweet cat who needs out.

The 2nd cat is in a cage at a town shelter, per the shelter volunteers they occasionally let the cats out to stretch their legs and she is good with other cats. She is recently spayed after having a litter. She is also very sweet.

I know it will be a little overwhelming for my cat at first if I bring in 2 cats at the same time, but my BF thinks that while it may be a little tough, it would be easier in the long run. My plan is for the new cats to be quarenteened in the guest room for about 10 days before beginning slow introductions to my cat and dog. The shelter cats are UTD on vaccinations, my cat doesn't get any vaccinations outside of rabies since she was 10.

I've never adopted 2 at the same time before, let alone 2 from different shelters. Is it a crazy idea to do this?

Comments (10)