SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pandaroux

Am I crazy to put a silk rug in my main living area?

Jen K.
10 years ago

Please tell me if you think I'm being crazy for wanting to buy a silk rug for our living area. I had been meaning to buy a wool rug, but haven't found one that fits our 9'x18' living area. It is open concept so the 9' isn't fixed. The ideal rug would be less than 9' wide and 14-15' long. I have found that wool rugs only come in standardized widths. The 9x12 is way too small and with the 10x14, the 10' width encroaches into the space in front of the hallway. I can live with a 9.5x13.5, but this is not a common rug size and I probably will end up settling for a cheap quality, so-so rug.

I have found several silk rugs at ABC Carpet that have the right dimensions for our space, not to mention are gorgeous. They are really expensive BUT I just found one that is perfectly sized (9x15) and marked down to 6K, which is within my budget. I am really tempted to buy it, but I'm worried about maintenance. I read online that silk rugs should be beaten occasionally to loosen dirt. I live in an apartment, where the heck am I going to beat a rug?? The regular vacuuming and drycleaning every few years I can live with. Is there other maintenance that I should worry about?

I'm not so worried about stains or wear. Am I kidding myself? Even though it's our "living/family room," it doesn't get much use. It's just me and my husband and we have guests infrequently. No shoes at home. We mainly use the space to watch TV in the evenings. My husband likes to eat snacks while watching TV, but he said he'll throw a towel down going forward when he does. I can see something getting spilled here at some point, but the rug is heavily patterned and almost all dark colors so I don't think any stains will be so noticeable.

I think we can make a silk rug work so long as we're not obsessed with keeping it perfect. But I've never owned a silk rug before. I would really appreciate some insight from people who know what it's like to live with one, especially in a room that gets regular use. My rug (great, now I'm thinking of it as mine already!) is being held for me until Wednesday so I should decide by then. Thank you in advance!!!

Comments (15)