SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
compumom_gw

Your favorite Crockpot recipe!

compumom
13 years ago

DD has discovered the joys of utilizing a crockpot for dinner on busy days. Would you please share your favorite T&T recipe?

Thanks in advance!

Comments (34)

• loves2cook4six
    13 years ago

Really simple, really sublime

Chicken Adobo
    1 small sweet onion, sliced
    8 cloves garlic, crushed
    3/4 cup soy sauce
    1/2 cup vinegar
    1 (3 pound) whole chicken, cut into pieces
    1.Place chicken in a slow cooker. In a small bowl mix the onion, garlic, soy sauce, and vinegar, and pour over the chicken.

2. Cook on Low for 6 to 8 hours.

Try add some ginger, brown sugar and increase liquid volume using water

And right now as we speak, I have 10 pounds of sliced onions and 2 Tbsp of oil caramelizing for French Onion soup tomorrow night

• cross_stitch
    13 years ago

Can't wait to read the responses to this one! I believe I was the last person in North America to get a crock pot. (Got it last year with airline miles.) So I am looking for more recipes. I make this pulled pork recipe for self-serve meals. May be good for a Super Bowl party with coleslaw and brownies. The pork recipe is in the link below, straight from epicurious.com

This is the peanut coleslaw I serve with the pork sandwiches:

1 pkg. Ramen noodle soup mix (I use chicken)â¨â¨
    2 T butter
    â¨1 bag cole slaw or 6 cups chopped cabbage and some carrot for color
    â¨1/2 cup chopped dry-roasted peanuts
    â¨1 small onion or a few scallions chopped fineâ¨

Break up the Ramen noodles and saute in 2 TLBS. butter.⨠Stir until they are medium golden brown. Watch carefully!
    Spread on paper towels to cool.⨠Set aside until ready to serve.

Mix salad ingredients and refrigerate in the serving bowl until ready to serve.â¨â¨

Dressing:â¨
    Flavor packet from soup mix
    â¨1/2 t saltâ¨
    2 T sugarâ¨
    3 T cider vinegarâ¨
    1/4 t freshly ground black pepperâ¨
    1/2 C salad oil
    â¨â¨Mix dressing ingredients and store until ready to serve.

Toss all together just before serving. (This is not a good left over because the noodles get soft, so make this for a big hungry group.)

Serves at least 8.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pulled pork

• Related Discussions

LOOKING for: Your favorite pot roast recipe - slow cookr or pres

Q

Comments (3)
    This recipe from the Moderator of the Yahoo Pressure Cooker Group is very easy. I mix the mix envelopes and use 1/2 to 2/3 of the total as it can be a little too salty for me and I usually have less than 5 lb. of meat. Ray's 3 Envelope Pot Roast 1 5 lb. beef pot roast (or smaller to fit in your size cooker) 1 envelope ranch salad dressing mix 1 envelope Italian salad dressing mix 1 envelope brown gravy mix 1 1/2 cups water or beef broth Brown roast on all sides in a little oil. Put in pressure cooker and sprinkle mixed dry seasonings from the mixes all over the top. Add water, a little on the top and the rest down the sides. Put on cover to pot and cook under pressure for a pot roast according to your cooker's manual. Let pressure decrease naturally and safely remove the lid. Transfer beef to a platter and keep warm. Thicken juices in the pot with a cornstarch and cold water slurry. Add roast back in and heat. Serve hot with extra gravy from the pot in a bowl. Teresa
    ...See More

LOOKING for: Family favorite crockpot recipes

Q

Comments (5)
    CROCKPOT MACARONI AND CHEESE 8 oz. elbow macaroni, cooked and drained 4 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided 1 (12 oz.) can evaporated milk 1-1/2 cups milk 2 eggs 1 tsp. salt 1/2 tsp. pepper Place cooked macaroni in slow cooker that has been coated with nonstick cooking spray. Reserve 1 cup cheese; add rest of cheese and the other ingredients to the macaroni. Mix well. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top. Cook on HIGH at least 2-1/2 hours. Do not remove cover or stir until ready to serve. Recipe courtesy of Mr. Food. RED-COOKED RIBS FOR CROCKPOT 3/4 cup hoisin sauce 3 Tblsp. dark soy sauce 2 Tblsp. mirin (Chinese wine - substitute dry sherry if you can't find it) 1 Tblsp. minced fresh ginger - I use more 1 Tblsp. honey 5 garlic cloves, minced 1 tsp. ground allspice 1 Tblsp. grated orange zest - I use dried 1/2 to 1 tsp. crushed hot red pepper 6 scallions, cut diagonally into 1-inch pieces 1 (8 oz.) can sliced water chestnuts 3 pounds country-style pork ribs, trimmed of fat 1. In a small bowl, mix together the hoisin sauce, soy sauce, sherry, ginger, honey, garlic, allspice, orange zest, and hot pepper. 2. Place 1/3 of the scallions and water chestnut slices in a slow cooker (3-1/2 quart or larger). Top with some of the ribs and spoon some of the sauce. Repeat ending with the sauce. 3. Cover and cook on low for 9-10 hours or until the ribs are done. COMPANY CHICKEN CASSEROLE FOR CROCKPOT 8 oz. egg noodles 3 cups chicken, cooked, diced 1/2 cup celery, diced 1/2 cup green pepper, diced 1/2 cup onion, diced 4 oz. mushrooms, canned, drained 1/2 cup chicken broth 1/2 cup parmesan cheese 2 Tblsp. butter, melted 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated 1/2 tsp. basil 1-1/2 cups small curd cottage cheese 1 can cream of chicken soup Cook noodles according to package directions until barely tender; drain and rinse thoroughly. In large bowl, combine the remaining ingredients with the noodles, making sure the noodles are separated and coated with liquid. Pour mixture into a greased crockpot. Cover and cook on LOW for 6-10 hours. Can cook on HIGH for 3-4 hours. Serves 6.
    ...See More

RECIPE: Recipe For Your Favorite Thanksgiving Side Dishes

Q

Comments (1)
    Yes, yes please share. I am looking for a vegetable that is simple to serve and not laden with extra unnecessary calories.
    ...See More

LOOKING for: What is your favorite quick dinner recipe?

Q

Comments (23)
    Kim, you really should explore the world of seafood, as it is ideal for fast meal prep. The whole secret with cooking shrimp, scallops, and other shellfish is to make sure you don't overcook it. But the particular critter usually gives you a clue. Shrimp turns pink when it's done. Scallops turn opaque. Clams and oysters curl at the edges. The hard ones are calamari and abalone. But even they give you clues. To clean shrimp you need to remove the shells and the mud vein that runs down the back. This can be done before or after cooking, depending on recipes. Hint: Shrimp cooked in their shells are more flavorful. There are special tools for prepping shrimp. But a regular table fork works just as well. Stick one tine into the shell from the head end, pointing into the mud vein. Then push the shrimp onto the tine. The shell and vein will pop right off. If you look at the Nuts & Bolts thread I've posted a simple recipe for Shrimp & Sausage Carbonade that you might want to try. Finned fishes, too, can broaden your choices. Fish does not require a long cooking time in any recipe (the rule of thumb is to cook ten minutes for each inch of thickness). Virtually any cooking method---from poaching to deep fying, baking to barbecuing---can be used for fish cookery.
    ...See More
  • cross_stitch
    13 years ago

Egad and sorry about the weird characters in the coleslaw recipe. I copied it from my MS Word file on my hard drive. Just checked the recipe and nothing seems to be lost in the 'translation'. I think the marks indicate where paragraph marks were in the original file.

• lakeguy35
    13 years ago

My group loves this one from Ginger. She has a Italian Beef recipe too but I don't have it on this computer. Hopefully someone else can post it.

CROCKPOT FRENCH DIP SANDWICHES (ginger_st_thomas)

2 cups water
    1/2 cup soy sauce
    4 whole peppercorns
    1 tsp dried rosemary
    1 tsp dried thyme
    1 bay leaf
    1 tsp garlic powder (had none so used 1 minced garlic clove)
    3 lb boneless beef chuck roast, trimmed
    8 French or sourdough rolls, split

Combine water, soy sauce, peppercorns, rosemay, thym & garlic in a slow cooker, stirring until wel blended. Place rost in cooker & cover.
    Cook on high for 5-6 hours or until beef is tender. Remove meat from broth & shred with a fork. Serve beef on rolls. Pour broth in small bowls for dipping.~~ Good topped with Swiss cheese or sauteed onions, peppers or both. I like mustard on the rolls, too.~~

David

• sushipup1
    13 years ago

I just do a boneless chuck roast, a cup of red wine, a thin-sliced onion and about 1/2 clove garlic minced, S&P. How could it be easier? Served French dip style.

• Jasdip
    13 years ago

This is delicious Sushipup!
    I cooked it for about 7 hours total.

Sweet and Savory Slow-Cooker Pork Roast
    This is a delicious pork roast with a sweet and lightly spiced glaze.

1 boneless pork roast, 4 to 6 pounds
    1 clove garlic, halved
    salt and pepper
    1 1/3 cups brown sugar, divided
    1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
    1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
    1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

Wash pork roast, trim excess fat, pat dry, and rub with garlic halves. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, then prick the roast all over with a fork or skewer.

In a cup or bowl, combine 1 cup of the brown sugar, the mustard, and vinegar. Rub all over the roast.
    Cover and cook on low 6-7 hours.

Combine the remaining 1/3 cup brown sugar with cinnamon; Spread the mixture over the top of the roast. Cover and continue cooking on LOW for 1 hour longer.
    Drain off juices to make gravy.

This is another one that we love.
    Some people don't recommend cooking chicken in the slow-cooker, as it comes out rubbery. But these are boneless, skinless breasts and I believe the secret is to put them in frozen.

Orange Hoisin Chicken

2 Tb frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
    1/4 up honey
    2 Tb soy sauce
    2 Tb hoisin sauce
    3 slices peeled fresh ginger
    3 minced cloves garlic
    1 Tb sesame oil
    6 frozen boneless skinless chicken breast halves (do not thaw)
    2 tsp cornstarch
    2 tsp cold water
    1 Tb toasted sesame seeds (optional)

Combine the sauce ingredients in the slow cooker and add the chicken, making sure the chicken is coated.

Cover and cook on LOW 5 to 6 hours. Transfer chicken to warm platter.

Strain sauce through a sieve into a small saucepan. In a cup or small bowl stir together cornstarch and water. Bring sauce to a boil over high heat, add slurry and cook stirring til thickened, 1 or 2 min.

Pour some of the sauce over the chicken and pass the rest on the side. Sprinkle with sesame seeds if desired.

• caliloo
    13 years ago

I will second Ginger's French Dip Sandwiches, my guys love them. Here is another one that is so easy and delish any time of year.

Alexa

Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup

Place in crockpot 2 or 3 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves.

Without draining anything, combine in bowl:

2 (15oz) cans black beans
    1 (14.5 oz) can tomato sauce
    2 (15 oz) cans Mexican stewed tomatoes (or Rotel)
    1 (4 oz) can chopped green chilies
    1 cup salsa, your preference as to strength

Pour over chicken and cook on low 8 hours.

Just before serving, remove chicken, shred it, and stir it back into the soup.

Stir in:
    1 can Niblets corn

Heat just long enough to get corn and chicken hot.

Serve topped with cheese, sour cream, and crushed tortilla chips. Or put the chips in the bowl first and ladle soup on top. Either way, YUMMY and so easy!

• doucanoe
    13 years ago

Another vote for Ginger's French Dip Sandwiches. I am sure I have made that recipe at least 100 times! I also freeze it and reheat for our annual girl's camping/canoe trip. It makes a great camping meal!

Here are a couple others that we really like.

Hearty Pork Stew with Squash
    Source: Penzey�s One 2/09

1-1/2 lb boneless pork loin roast, trimmed and cubed
    (I used boneless chops)
    3 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1/4" slices
    1 medium onion, chopped
    2 c peeld parsnips, cubed
    1-1/2 c butternut squash, peeled & cubed
    4 c chicken broth
    1 T fresh sage or 1 tsp dried
    2 tsp fresh thyme or 3/4 tsp dried
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp pepper
    3 T flour
    3 T butter, softened

In 4-5 quart slow cooker, mix the pork and remaining ingredients except flour and butter. Cover and cook on low 6-7 hours. OR... place in a covered pot in the oven at 350F for 2 hours.

In a small bowl, mix together the flour and butter. Gradually stir into stew until blended. Increase setting to high or return to oven. Cover and cook 30 minutes longer, stirring occasionally until thickened.
    6 servings

Don't let the length of this one intimidate you. It is FABULOUS! (And really easy.) Beef Daube Provencal 2 teaspoons olive oil 12 garlic cloves, crushed 1 (2\-pound) boneless chuck roast, trimmed and cut into 2\-inch cubes 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided 1 cup red wine 2 cups chopped carrot 1 1/2 cups chopped onion 1/2 cup less\-sodium beef broth 1 tablespoon tomato paste 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme Dash of ground cloves 1 (14.5\-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained 1 bay leaf 3 cups hot cooked medium egg noodles (about 4 cups uncooked noodles) Chopped fresh thyme (optional) Preheat oven to 300�. Heat olive oil in a small Dutch oven over low heat. Add garlic to pan; cook for 5 minutes or until garlic is fragrant, stirring occasionally. Remove garlic with a slotted spoon; set aside. Increase heat to medium\-high. Add beef to pan. Sprinkle beef with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Cook 5 minutes, browning on all sides. Remove beef from pan. Add wine to pan, and bring to a boil, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Add garlic, beef, remaining 1 teaspoon salt, remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper, carrot, and next 8 ingredients (through bay leaf) to pan; bring to a boil. Cover and bake at 300� for 2 1/2 hours or until beef is tender. Discard bay leaf. Serve over noodles. Garnish with chopped fresh thyme, if desired. Note: To make in a slow cooker, prepare through Step 2. Place beef mixture in an electric slow cooker. Cover and cook on HIGH for 5 hours. Yield 6 servings (serving size: about 3/4 cup stew and 1/2 cup noodles) Linda
  • mustangs81
    13 years ago

TRIPLE CHOCOLATE MESS

1 package chocolate cake mix
    1 pint sour cream
    1 small package instant chocolate pudding mix
    1 small bag chocolate chips
    3/4 cups vegetable oil
    4 eggs
    1 cups water

Spray the interior of crockpot with non stick vegetable spray.

Beat all ingredients together in a bowl and pour into crockpot.

Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours. Serve in a bowl with ice cream.

• User
    13 years ago

Ellen, tell DH he doesn't need any special recipes. Any thing he would have slow cooked in the oven or on top of the stove can be made in a crockpot/slowcooker.

I bought one recently. Still not sure how much I'll use it, but so far I've made my pot roast, oxtails, and Pork Chili Verde. I just us my regular recipes and set it cook for 8 hours on the low setting.

I browned the meats, as I would have, if they had been cooked in a dutch oven. I also brought the liquid to a boil before adding it to the crockpot. Otherwise it takes a long time for everything to come to a safe cooking temperature.

I would never start with frozen meats or chicken.

Ann

• wizardnm
    13 years ago

Jasdip post:

"This is another one that we love.
    Some people don't recommend cooking chicken in the slow-cooker, as it comes out rubbery. But these are boneless, skinless breasts and I believe the secret is to put them in frozen."

While the recipe sounds tasty (Orange Hoisin Chicken) I can't let the method slip by without a word about food safety.

From the USDA on Food Safety:
    "Do not cook frozen chicken in the microwave or in a slow cooker. However, chicken can be cooked from the frozen state in the oven or on the stove. The cooking time may be about 50% longer."

The raw chicken is in the danger zone for too long. I think we have to be careful, when posting recipes. There is a lot of bad information on the web.
    Jasdip, I don't mean to hurt you feelings, but I owned a deli and studied food safety and when I see a post that goes against food safety guidelines, I worry.
    I know there are many recipes on the net that use a slow cooker and frozen chicken and they are not safe. I'm sure your post was not meant to harm anyone.

Nancy

Here is a link that might be useful: Food Safety

• Jasdip
    13 years ago

Nancy I got that recipe from a member of another board.
    She's a home-ec teacher and teaches cooking.

She says the success of this meal is because it comes from a frozen state it can be cooked safely. She's cooked this recipe for years, as had a lot of other members on the site.

Testing it with a thermometer would ensure it's safety wouldn't it?

• User
    13 years ago

Jasdip, it isn't the finished temperature of the dish that indicates whether it was cooked properly.

The problem is that frozen chicken will take a long time to come up to a safe cooking temperature in a crockpot.

Ann

• lorijean44
    13 years ago

This is my favorite:

Pulled Pork Sandwiches

2-1/2 to 3 pound pork sirloin roast or boneless pork shoulder roast
    3 tablespoons cider vinegar
    2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
    1 teaspoon ground cumin or chili powder
    1/2 cup water

1 recipe homemade BBQ sauce (recipe follows) or 3-1/2 cups bottled BBQ sauce

Hamburger buns (makes 10 generous servings)

Trim fat from roast. Cut roast, if necessary to fit in a 3-1/2 to 4 quart slow cooker. Season meat with salt and pepper. In a small bowl combine 1/2 cup water, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, and cumin. Pour over meat in cooker. Cover; cook on low-heat setting 8 to 10 hours or on high-heat setting 4 to 5 hours. Remove meat; discard liquid. (Note: I didn't discard the liquid, but mixed it in with the shredded meat as there was virtually no fat on the meat I used.)

Using two forks shred meat; return it to cooker. Stir in 2 cups homemade BBQ sauce or bottled BBQ sauce. Cover and cook on high setting for 30 to 45 minutes or until heated through.

Serve meat mixture in split hamburger buns. Pass remaining sauce.

Homemade BBQ Sauce

Combine 2-1/2 cups ketchup; 1 cup finely chopped onion; 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar, 3 tablespoons bottled Pickapeppa or Worcestershire sauce; 3 tablespoons cider vinegar; 3 cloves garlic, minced; and 1/4 teaspoon bottled hot pepper sauce in a medium saucepan. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Use immediately or let cool; cover and chill up to 3 days. Makes 3-1/2 cups.

Source: Country Living Magazine via Linda (How To Cook a Wolf)

Lori

• wizardnm
    13 years ago

How would a thermometer insure safety? It has no anti-bacterial properties...it only tells you the temp.
    The damage is done during the danger zone time period, the finished dish can reach safe temp but still be unsafe to eat. Would you cook spoiled chicken to a safe temp and still eat it?

The fact that the recipe came from a home-ec teacher doesn't change USDA guidelines, please read them on the link I posted. Shame on her. Food safety should be a top concern for anyone posting on public forums.

Nancy

• doucanoe
    13 years ago

Lori, thanks for posting your pulled pork recipe. I made pulled pork once a couple of years ago and loved it but can't remember what recipe I used! LOL

I'll definitely try yours very soon!

Linda

• lindac
    13 years ago

Certain bacteria and contaminates found on meat and poultry, produce toxins. While the bacteria are killed by reaching the proper temperature, the toxins are not deactivated. So, as Nancy says, the chicken may be cooked to the safe temp, but spent too long at a temperature where bacteria grew, produced their toxins....and will make you sick.
    The info pasted below is from a USDA site.

Some types of bacteria produce toxins in NRTE/RTE products as a by-product of their growth. Toxins of most concern are produced by Clostridium botulinum, Clostridium perfringens, Bacillus cereus, and Staphylococcus aureus. All are the result of the growth of bacteria and the production of toxins in foods that have been mishandled. These bacteria are common in the environment and are often found on carcasses. The environment (air, water, and soil) is the common source of these types of bacteria. An exception is Staphylococcus aureus, which is commonly found in association with human skin, and sometimes in poultry bruises. The hazard is the toxin (e.g., enterotoxin, neurotoxin, hemotoxin) produced by the organisms. The organism may contaminate the product if improper handling occurs after the product has been cooked. Proper cooking, fermentation, cooling, and storage of food can prevent growth of these bacteria and, more importantly, the production of their toxins. However, cooking will not destroy several of these toxins once they are formed in food.

• sissyz
    13 years ago

Thai Inspired Pork
    1 (3 pound) pork shoulder roast
    2 teaspoons minced garlic
    1/3 cup low-sodium teriyaki sauce
    3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
    1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
    Rice:
    3 cups uncooked long grain white rice
    6 cups water
    Sauce:
    1/4 cup unsalted peanut butter
    1/4 cup soy sauce
    2 TBS sesame oil
    julienned red pepper
    Garnish:
    1 cup chopped unsalted peanuts
    1 bunch green onions, sliced
    bean sprouts
    matchstick carrots
    chopped cilantro
    lime wedges

Place the pork roast, red bell peppers, garlic, teriyaki sauce, and rice wine vinegar in a slow cooker. Sprinkle with red pepper flakes.
    Cover, and cook 8 hours on Low.
    In a pot, bring the rice and water to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook 20 minutes.
    Remove meat from slow cooker, and shred. Stir the peanut butter and soy sauce, red peppers, and sesame oil into the slow cooker. Return shredded meat to slow cooker, and mix with the sauce to coat.
    Plate rice, top with shredded pork and top with desired garnish: squeeze fresh lime wedges, add bean sprouts, shredded carrots and chopped peanuts and cilantro.

• lpinkmountain
    13 years ago

I cook chicken out of the fridge in the crockpot all the time and it is not rubbery. Not even sure where the "rubbery" rumor got started. Chicken has always come out "yummy" for me in the crockpot. The secret is not cooking it TOO LONG. Chicken takes far less time in the crockpot than beef or pork. Six hours at the most. Mine is usually done in five. Falling off the bone tender. I cook it on high until it starts to simmer, then switch to low. Often times with chicken, and also with other things, I strain the broth/sauce out of the crockpot and reduce it in a braiser on the stovetop before serving the dish. I then serve it in my groovy braiser, makes a nice presentation.

As always with food safety, you are only increasing the RISK of something bad happening. There is no guaruntee that it will happen, but the risk is there. Why chance it. Also, honestly I don't think you have to worry about rubbery chicken. The only time I have rubbery chicken is when I bake boneless, skinless chicken breasts in the oven.

BTW, I have discovered that cabbage rolls are awesome made in the crockpot. Don't need to change your usual recipe, just layer the rolls in the crockpot with the sauce and cook for 6-8 hours. Check to make sure the meat is done in the middle of one of them before taking them out. The variety of time depends on whether you cook on low or high. My usual mode it to cook on high until the heat gets close to the simmer point, then switch to low.

• compumom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow, I'm overwhelmed with all of these great ideas! They're picky eaters, but I think there are some clear winners in the bunch. I'm not much of a crock pot user, but even I'm intrigued by the ease of leaving them cook all day and dinner when we return home!

Laurie- would you share your cabbage roll recipe, please? DH would love them and if they freeze well, it would give me some options to have on hand! My allergies would preclude my enjoyment, but DH would be very pleased!

• lpinkmountain
    13 years ago

I use Ruthanna's recipe as a loose guide - Thanks Ruthanna!
    But I use ground turkey instead of ground beef, it is good. But since it is less flavorful I add a lot of Penzey's Bavarian seasoning mix the stuffing. I also use a can of chopped stewed tomatoes along with the tomato sauce. I use soy sauce instead of worcesteshire sauce. I use cider vinegar instead of lemon juice most of the time. And dried minced onions to save time.

CROCKPOT STUFFED CABBAGE ROLLS

12 large cabbage leaves
    1 beaten egg
    1/ 4 cup milk
    1/ 4 cup finely chopped onion
    3/4 tsp. salt
    1/ 4 tsp. pepper
    1 lb. lean ground beef
    1 cup cooked rice
    1 (8 oz,) can tomato sauce
    1 Tbs. brown sugar
    1 Tbs. lemon juice
    1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce

Immerse cabbage leaves in large kettle of boiling water for about 3 minutes or until limp; drain and set aside until cooled off. Chop about 1 cup of the extra cabbage into big pieces and put in the bottom of the crockpot. Combine egg, milk, onion, salt, pepper, beef and rice. Place about 1/ 4 cup meat mixture in center of each leaf; fold in sides and roll ends over meat. Place in crockpot. Combine remaining ingredients and pour over cabbage rolls. Cover and cook on low 7 to 9 hours. If you want more sauce, add another can of tomato sauce during the last hour of cooking. Makes 6 servings.

Note: This is the basic recipe but there are many variations. Substitute 1/ 2 bulk sausage or ground pork for part of the ground beef. Add herbs to the meat mixture, etc.

Lpink's Note: Below is a link to my original stuffed cabbage post, which has in IT a link to a stuff cabbage thread from 2008. That one is chock full of GREAT recipes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Stuffed cabbage

• Jasdip
    13 years ago

Wow, I didn't expect such a back-lash.
    Since it's so unsafe, and people are risking their lives by cooking frozen breasts, why would it even be approved, and be a best-selling cookbook??

This didn't come off the top of my head. It's a tried-and-true, by many from a popular cookbook.

Beth Hensperger and Julie Kaufman are the authors.

What's the difference cooking this or that other method of cooking overnite in the oven at 250 degrees? That doesn't sound any safer to me.

• sushipup1
    13 years ago

The USDA doesn't publish, edit or approve cookbooks, and in truth anyone can publish anything, and people will buy just about anything.

Cooking overnight at low temps isn't approved either.

• lorijean44
    13 years ago

Jasdip, I wouldn't call it "backlash". There are a lot of experienced and very knowledgeable cooks here who share their concerns when potentially unsafe recipes or techniques are discussed. It's good to know all the facts, don't you agree?

All things considered, it really is hard to argue with USDA recommendations/guidelines.

Lori

• wncang
    13 years ago

Slow Cooker Lasagna is so good. I've cooked it several times, and it is delicious.

Ingredients
    1 (1 pound) package Italian Sausage
    No-boil lasagna noodles, broken into 2 pieces
    12 ounces ricotta cheese
    3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
    2 (26 ounce) jars pasta sauce
    1 tablespoon dried parsley

Directions
    Spray interior of slow cooker with non-stick vegetable spray.
    In medium skillet over medium heat, crumble and cook sausage until brown. Place in slow cooker. Add noodles, ricotta, 2 cups mozzarella, pasta sauce and parsley. Stir gently to combine.
    Cover and cook on low for 4 to 6 hours. 5 minutes before serving, top with remaining 1 cup mozzarella cheese. Cover to melt cheese

• country_sunshine
    13 years ago

I just slow cooked a big ol pot roast in our crock pot.. I put in about a table spoon of dry onion flakes, a can of beef broth, a clove of garlic and some beef boullion.... cooked it for about 4 hours on high.. made some gravy with the juices and had sides of buttered carrots and mashed taters... It was fork tender and deeeeeeeeeeeeelish !!

Carolyn

• pat_t
    13 years ago

Here are a couple of our family favorites:

SLOW-COOKER ADOBO PORK SANDWICHES WITH ROSEMARY-GARLIC MAYONNAISE

2 cups canned chopped tomatoes, drained
    1 Tblsp. brown sugar
    1 Tblsp. chili powder
    3 Tblsp. red wine vinegar
    3 Tblsp. adobo sauce
    1 Tblsp. honey
    2 garlic cloves, chopped
    4-1/2 lbs. pork shoulder
    6 sandwich buns
    Rosemary-Garlic mayonnaise (recipe follows)
    Toppings: lettuce leaves, tomato slices

Process first 7 ingredients in a blender or food processor until mixture is smooth.
    Cut pork in half, and place in a 5-quart slow cooker. Pour tomato mixture over pork. Cook on HIGH for 8 hours; remove from slow cooker. Cool slightly; shred and serve on buns with Rosemary-Garlic mayonnaise and desired toppings. Yield: 6 servings.

Rosemary-Garlic Mayonnaise
    1/2 cup mayonnaise
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1 Tblsp. chopped fresh or dried rosemary
    1 Tblsp. lemon juice
    1/8 tsp. salt

Stir together all ingredients. Chill. Yield: 1/2 cup.

Recipe from Southern Living magazine, Sept. 2001 issue.

CROCKPOT CHINESE PEPPER STEAK

1-1/2 lbs. steak (any cheap cut)
    2 Tblsp. vegetable oil
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
    1 tsp. sugar
    1 cup bean sprouts
    1 cup tomatoes, diced
    2 green peppers, sliced in strips
    1 Tblsp. cornstarch
    2 Tblsp. water
    1 large onion, cut in chunks

Cut steak in strips. Brown steak in oil. Mix garlic, soy sauce, and sugar; pour over steak. Cook 6 hours on low in crockpot. Turn to high and add sprouts, tomatoes, green peppers, and onion. Dissolve cornstarch in water and add for thickening. Cover and cook an additional 30 minutes to 1 hour. Serve over hot cooked rice.

LEIGH'S BAKED BEANS FOR CROCKPOT

1 lb. ground beef
    1/2 lb. bacon (diced)
    1 medium sweet onion (diced)
    1 red bell pepper (diced)
    1/3 cup white sugar
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    1/2 cup light corn syrup
    3/4 cup ketchup
    1/2 cup barbeque sauce
    1 tsp. each: salt, pepper, chili powder
    1 Tblsp. mustard
    1 can each: pork and beans, pinto beans, navy beans, and white butter beans.

Brown ground beef, bacon, onion, and pepper, drain. Put this in crockpot and add the rest of the ingredients. Cook all day on low heat.

• aliceinmd
    13 years ago

We like to make "Sticky Chicken" in our Crockpot. I have no idea how it got its name, because it is not sticky, but it is yummy, with mashed potatoes on the side to take advantage of the delicious juices produced. There are many recipes on the Internet for "Sticky Chicken," but this one came from a Crockpot Forum that I believe used to be here on GardenWeb.

2 teaspoons salt (originally called for 4 teaspoons, which we felt was too much)
    1 teaspoon paprika
    1/2 teaspoon onion powder
    1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
    1/2 teaspoon white pepper
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
    1 onion, quartered
    1 (4-5 pound) whole chicken
    DIRECTIONS
    In a small bowl, mix together salt, paprika, onion powder, thyme, white pepper, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and garlic powder. Remove and discard giblets from chicken. Rinse chicken cavity, and pat dry with paper towel. Rub the chicken inside and out with spice mixture. Place the onion into the cavity of the chicken. Place chicken in a resealable bag or double wrap with plastic wrap. Refrigerate overnight, or at least 4 to 6 hours.

Cook in Crockpot on low for 8-10 hours.

• cynic
    13 years ago

Relax Jasdip, just some disagreements. Nobody's attacking you. As I've said many times I've tossed my crockpots in favor of a better system, the electric roaster. Although the Amish stew is fabulous in the crockpot, it's every bit as good in the roaster or even stovetop.

You've heard about the 40ð-140ð danger zone and the length of time in the danger zone is the concern of many. I do think sometimes the feds go a bit overboard but overall it's good guidelines. People bring poultry to room temp and cook it. I'm uncomfortable with that, myself. Even meat at room temp troubles me. But people can eat it, do eat it and live. Some get upset stomachs though. Healthy people can handle more bacteria. However for people with health issues it can make a bigger difference. Personally I'm a bit paranoid about meats and especially poultry. I know there's excellent cooks here who will cook a turkey from frozen state. No way will I try that. But that's just my opinion.

Boneless skinless chicken breasts are thin and will heat quickly, unlike a turkey so I would have fewer problems with something coming to temp quickly rather than over many hours.

I know what you're talking about the 250ð overnight for things like turkeys and people still do it. Most experts believe that 325ð is the minimum temp for roasting a turkey safely. Think about it, how long does it take to get out of the danger zone at the low temp? But many grandmothers did this and people still do today. I tend to go more centralized between those folks and the FDA. It's like the ones who go so overboard on cleaning that they wind up making things dirtier!

For the crockpot, remember to heat that thing up before putting food in it. Don't just take a refrigerated (and NOT frozen) roast, and plop it in a cold crockpot and put it on low (petri dish) setting.

Other things that go well in the crockpot are soups, stews, chili, sloppy joes and meatballs. Spaghetti sauce works well in there too. And they work well for keeping things warm while you're serving a buffet or something.

But I'll still take my lil Nesco over a crock.

• annie1992
    13 years ago

Cynic, I agree that the feds are ultra careful, and many times I think are a bit over the top, but this is a litigous society and the guidelines are meant to be so stringent that the person in the dirtiest kitchen can make every mistake possible and still not die if they follow the guidelines. Yeah, I mean that, it's layman's terms but that's the standard.

That said, I often break the rules, but not when cooking for anyone else. I've tossed a package of ground beef in the sink in the morning and cooked it when I came home at night. I've started frozen meat in the crockpot and I've chopped vegetables on the same board as chicken, all against the "rules".

Everyone has to decide the level of risk they are comfortable taking, but everyone also has to know the risk, so they can decide themselves.

I'm a rebel and a risktaker, LOL, so be aware. I'll let you know what hospital I'm in when I get food poisoning so you can send flowers. (grin)

As for chicken, I'm spectacularly unsuccessful with chicken in the crockpot, mostly because of the scheduled that causes me to use the thing in the first place. I leave the house at 7:45 am and don't come home until 5:15 pm or later. Sometimes much later. That's 9 1/2 hours, even on low it's a long time. I can come home at lunch, put everything in the crockpot and turn it on, but that's only 5 1/2 hours and usually not long enough. I'm not here to turn it on low after it reaches a simmer on high either, so chicken is usually not rubbery, it's just dried out and tasteless and has an icky texture. Beef and pork seem to stand up to the cooking time better, and beans come out perfectly.

Like Cynic, I've got my eye on a 6 quart Nesco roaster, which I didn't get for Christmas. Elery's newest DIL drew my name, checked my Amazon.com list and promptly went to Bed, Bath and Beyond and bought me another crockpot. She asked me if there was a difference, LOL. I told her there was and she promptly provided me with the gift receipt and told me to go ahead and take it back, so I'll return it and get the Nesco.

Annie

• jeri
    13 years ago

CompuMom - Your DD might want to sign up to receive recipes from A Year of Slow Cookking - it's fun!

I've made this recipe for large groups and small. You can not get any easier than this:

Slow Cooker Pulled Pork
    Place a Pork Shoulder (Boston Butt) in Slow Cooker - any size you want. Cover the meat with Root Beer. Cook on low for 8 hours - or when ever you get home.

Discard the liquid, shred, mix with your favorite bottled BBQ Sauce (we like Sweet Baby Ray's). Place back into Slow Cooker to heat the sauce and keep warm until you are ready to serve.

These are other TT recipes my family enjoys:

Honey Ribs

1 (10.5 ounce) can beef broth
    3 tablespoons honey mustard
    1/4 cup honey
    1/2 cup water
    1/4 cup honey BBQ sauce
    1/4 cup soy sauce
    1/4 cup maple syrup
    3 pounds baby back pork ribs

1. In the crock of a slow cooker, mix together the beef broth, honey mustard, honey, water, BBQ sauce, soy sauce, and maple syrup. Slice ribs apart, leaving an even amount of meat on each side of the bone. Place them into the slow cooker so that they are covered by the sauce. If there is not enough sauce, you may add a little water or beef broth to compensate.
    2. Cover, and cook on High for 5 hours, or until the meat falls easily from the bones.

Apricot-Glazed Pork Roast

1 can (10 3/4 ounce size) condensed chicken broth -- undiluted
    1 jar (18 ounce size) apricot preserves
    1 large onion -- chopped
    2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
    4 pounds boneless pork loin roast
    Baby carrots

In a slow cooker, mix broth, preserves, onion and mustard. Add pork and turn to coat. Cover and cook on low for 8-9 hours or until done. Add some baby carrots from the start - they are delicious!

For thicker sauce: After cooking pork, remove from cooker. Mix 2 tablespoons cornstarch and 2 tablespoons water. Stir cornstarch mixture into cooker. Cover and cook on high for 10 minutes or until mixture boils and thickens.

Jeri

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    13 years ago

All things considered, it really is hard to argue with USDA recommendations/guidelines.

But most of us do all the time when it comes to meat temperatures. Who cooks their pork to 165?

The frozen poultry in a crockpot? I probably wouldn't do it now but I never got sick from years of my mother's cooking: she took the package of chicken out of the freezer in the morning, let it thaw on the counter all day, and cooked it for dinner. Must have done that twice a week.

• cynic
    13 years ago

And I forgot to post the link to a good list of ideas.

Comprehensive site. I enjoyed reading about when Jarden threatened to sue the website for calling it "crockpot" recipes so she changed everything to "crockery pot".

Here is a link that might be useful: 50+ Friends