SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
klseiverd

rice pudding?

anoriginal
12 years ago

Know there are some great cooks here, so looking for some suggestion. My father-OUT-law (term to denote I divorced his son and NOT the rest of them) is the sweetest man... will be 87 in January. Recently diagnosed with liver cancer. Hate to even think that this might be his last Christmas (he's doing pretty well right now), but... it is what it is. Want to make something special that he likes to eat for Christmas. Back in the spring found out he LOVES Harvard beets... NOBODY else does... except me! SOOO, At Easter dinner, WE had our own side dish.

Don't know why, but asked his daughter (my out-spoken sister-OUT-law & BEST friend) if anybody who will be at her house for dinner likes rice pudding. Got a resounding YES for at least her and her Dad... but no raisins. Don't wanna go "gourmet"... just home-style, old-fashioned rice pudding.

Looking for an eye-rollin' recipe that will make those eating it think... man, I'm FIVE again!!

Comments (16)

• lindac
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

The way my grandmother made it
    1 qt milk
    1/2 cup white rice washed
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 cup sugar
    some grated lemon rind or vanilla
    Cinnamon sprinkled on top.
    Put all into a buttered 1 1/2 qt casserole and bake 3 hours at 275 to 300... stir every 15 minutes during the first hour and a half.

It gets a lovely crust.....and a deep milky caramel flavor.
    Haven't made it in years....must do that again!

• anoriginal
    Original Author
    12 years ago

THREE HOURS!?!

• Related Discussions

Rice Pudding

Q

Comments (6)
    Kimmid, here's a recipe that Grandma used to make, it's stovetop, not oven. RICE PUDDING 1 1/2 CUPS INSTANT RICE 3 CUPS WATER 1/2 TEASPOON SALT 1 ( 15 OUNCE CAN) SWEETENED CONDENSED MILK 1/2 CUP RAISINS ( OPTIONAL) 1/2 CUP BUTTER 1 TABLESPOON VANILLA 2 TABLESPOONS ORANGE ZEST (I leave this out) PLACE RICE AND WATER IN A POT AND BRING TO A BOIL, REDUCE HEAT TO A SIMMER AND COOK COVERED FOR 15 MINUTES. MIX IN MILK, RAISINS AND BUTTER. COOK AT MEDIUM HIGH HEAT FOR 20 MINUTES, STIRRING CONSTANTLY. MIXTURE WILL THICKEN SLIGHTLY. REMOVE FROM HEAT AND STIR IN VANILLA. AS THIS COOLS IT THICKENS EVEN MORE. SPOON INTO PARFAIT GLASSES. REFRIGERATE TILL READY TO SERVE. Annie
    ...See More

RECIPE: Rice Pudding

Q

Comments (6)
    This is from my 1986 SL Annual Amaretto Rice Pudding 3 eggs, beaten 2/3c sugar 1/4 tsp salt 2c milk, scalded 1 1/2c cooked rice 1/4 tsp cinnamon 1/4c amaretto 1 tsp vanilla 1/4 tsp nutmeg Combine first 3 ingredients in a medium mixing bowl. Slowly add scalded milk, stirring constantly. Stir in rice, cinnamon, amaretto, and vanilla. Spoon mixture into a buttered 1 1/2 qt baking dish. Place dish in a larger shallow pan; add 1" of water to pan. Bake at 325° for 1 hour. Stir pudding mixture; sprinkle evenly with nutmeg and bake 30 additional minutes. Remove dish from pan-let cool. Yield: 6 servings. Hope this it the one! RL`
    ...See More

RECIPE:Barefoot Contessa's Rum-Raisin Rice Pudding

Q

Comments (2)
    Found it on her website. Pls let me know if you try it. Tks.
    ...See More

Can I freeze rice pudding?

Q

Comments (9)
    ~~Ruth did in her post above and now below~~ RE: Can I freeze rice pudding? Posted by: ruth (mcguirer@bcc.orst.edu) on Fri, Jun 29, 01 at 20:09 I love rice pudding too and my picky kids won't touch it!??? So I did try freezing it...once....it was pretty gross....very mushy and the texture was really wierd afterwards...the flavor was the same but it was watery and the rice was grainy and mushy. Maybe freezing it BEFORE it's cooked would work...just have to be sure it gets cold quickly for food safety reasons....and then just defrost overnight in the fridge and cook as usual the next day. Folks, ~~I've decided to freeze the rice plain after cooking in measured portions for the rice pudding and for meals. Now I'll make 2 lg. pots of rice, 1 white, 1 brown at the same time. And freeze when cooled. This has helped me in cutting done the prep time before starting the rice pudding in the crockpot. I sometimes cook the rice pudding on low for 4 to 5 hrs. instead of High.
    ...See More
  • hawk307
    12 years ago

Kleseiverd:

Here are 3 recipes that are good but do not remember the source of two.

Rice Pudding

Ingredients:
    2 cups of water
    1/2 gallon of milk
    1/4 pound of butter ( I stick )
    Pinch of salt ( optional )
    1 cup of Rice

Simmer on Range top for 90 minutes, or until rice is tender, stirring often.

6 eggs beaten
    1 1/2 tablespoons of Vanilla
    1 1/2 cups of Sugar
    Mix well and add to the cooked rice slowly,
    stirring briskly.
    I place the pudding in one serving containers and top with cinnamon.
    Or it can be placed in one bowl , topped with Cinnamon and refrigerated.

Lou, here's how my mom made rice pudding.
    1/2 gallon milk (I add light cream, because when I was growing up, milk had cream in it)
    3/4 cup uncooked rice (not Minute Rice)
    3/4 cup sugar (if I add raisins, I decrease the amount of sugar to 2/3 cup)
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 tablespoon butter
    1 cup seedless raisins (optional - but Mom always put raisins in hers)
    1 teaspoon vanilla or more to taste
    1. Rinse the rice and put in large ovenproof dish (mine is 4 qts.) Add milk, sugar, salt, butter and raisins and stir until sugar is dissolved.
    2. Bake in a slow oven (325�F) about 2 to 2-1/2 hours or until rice is very tender.
    3. A brown film will form on the pudding, and stir this under (every 15 minutes or so after the first hour). This gives the pudding a rich, creamy texture.
    4. The last time you stir the pudding, add the vanilla. You can also add lemon zest or extract.
    5. Let one last brown film form on the pudding.
    6. Serve warm or cold. We used to dust it with cinnamon or nutmeg

Rice Pudding :

Ingredients:
    6 cups of water
    1 cup of Risotto Rice
    4 tablespoons of Coffeemate
    2 cups of milk
    1/4 teaspoon of powdered Cinnamon
    1/2cup of raisins
    2 tablespoons of Azetca Vanilla
    1 1/2 cups of Vanilla Ice Cream
    2 extra large eggs

In my SS double boiler ; ( Top pot measures 10 " rd. x 3 1/2" deep.)
    I put in a few inches of water in bottom pot and bring to a boil .
    In the top , I put the 6 cups of water and let it heat.
    Add 1 cup of Risotto rice. Simmer for 1 hour,or until rice is a little tender,stirring occasionally
    In the last 10 minutes , add 2 the cups of milk,
    1/4 teaspoon of powdered Cinnamon, 4 tablesps. of CoffeeMate
    1 cup + 2 tablsp. Sugar , 1 1/2 cups of vanilla ice cream ,
    1/2 cup of raisins + , and 2 tablesps. Of Vanilla

Let this cook about 25 minutes , or until the rice is very tender.
    In the last 5 minutes , take 1/3 cup of milk and beat in 2 - x large eggs .
    Add this slowly to the cooking rice, stirring constantly, for about 5 minutes.
    If the pudding is too thick add some milk. It should be a little loose, because
    it will thicken when it cools. Spoon into containers and sprinkle with cinnamon.
    Cover and let cool. Place in refrigerator. Serve with Cool Whip topping.

When I tasted this I did a back flip , right thru the picture window.
    I think I died and went to heaven and was reincarnated as a Cooking Forum Host, on TV.
    LOU

• grainlady_ks
    12 years ago

I was the kid who wanted rice pudding instead of Birthday Cake (that is until I tasted German Chocolate Cake ;-). My mother cooked it on the stove, so when I watched an episode of America's Test Kitchen on PBS one Saturday making stovetop rice pudding, I jotted down the recipe. I found it printed in "The Complete America's Test Kitchen TV Show Cookbook - 2001-2011" I recently received as a gift.

After making the recipe several times (I usually make 1/2 a recipe, which is more than enough for 2 people), I declared it the "keeper" and I quit trying new recipes. My mother made hers with evaporated milk, so the half-and-half in this recipe could easily be substituted with evaporated milk in a pinch. -Grainlady

STOVETOP RICE PUDDING

(serves 6-8)

We prefer pudding made with medium-grain rice, but long-grain rice works, too. [Grainlady note: I always use medium-grain rice for this recipe.]

2 c. water
    1 c. medium-grain rice
    1/4 t. table salt
    2-1/2 c. whole milk
    2-1/2 c. half-and-half
    2/3 c. white sugar
    1/2 c. raisins (optional)
    1-1/2 t. vanilla extract
    1 t. ground cinnamon

1. Bring the water to a boil in a large saucepan. Stir in the rice and salt, cover, and simmer over low heat, stirring once or twice, until the water is almost fully absorbed, 15-20 minutes.

2. Stir in the milk, half-and-half, and sugar. Increase the heat to medium-high and bring to a simmer, then reduce the heat to maintain a simmer. Cook, uncovered and stirring frequently, until the mixture starts to thicken, about 30 minutes. Reduce the heat to low and continue to cook, stirring every couple of minutes to prevent sticking and scorching, until the spoon is just able to stand up in the pudding, about 15 minutes longer.

3. Remove from the heat and stir in the raisins, vanilla, and cinnamon. Serve warm, at room temperature, or chilled. (To store, press plastic wrap directly onto the surface of the pudding and refrigerate for up to 2 days. If serving at room temperature or chilled, stir in up to 1 cup warm milk, 2 T. at a time, as needed to loosen before serving.)

• shaun
    12 years ago

I've been making this Rice Pudding recipe for years and years and by far, it's the best I've ever had anywhere. So creamy!! My recipe doesn't have raisins but you can certainly add them if you like.

2 Qts Whole Milk
    1 pint heavy cream ..............bring to boil

1 1/3 cup short grain rice
    1/2 stick butter
    1 cup sugar............. Mix in and simmer 1 hour, covered

Blend together: 3 eggs, sprinkle of cinnamon and 1/4 cup milk.

Slowly pour into simmer pot stirring constantly until mixed - NOTE: I add a little bit of the hot liquid from the simmer pot to the egg mixture to bring the temperature up so the eggs won't scramble when I add them.

Cook on low heat until thick. You can either put it into individual dishes at this point or leave in a big pretty bowl.

Sprinkle with cinnamon then wrap with plastic wrap & put in frig.

• lindac
    12 years ago

klsieverd....yes! 3 hours!

• ruthanna_gw
    12 years ago

My paternal grandmother used to bake rice pudding along with a beef roast every single Sunday of the year. This style has the rice on the bottom and an eggy baked custard on top.

NANA'S RICE PUDDING

3/4 cup partially cooked rice, drained
    5 eggs
    1 cup sugar
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/2 tsp. vanilla
    1 quart milk

Beat eggs. Add rest of ingredients except rice. Spread rice in bottom of buttered casserole dish and pour in the egg mixture. Sprinkle top with cinnamon or nutmeg.

Bake at 325 for about an hour to an hour and a half, or until set.

You can add raisins in with the rice but she usually didn't.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    12 years ago

ruthanna,

You hit my hot button!!! I too have been wanting rice pudding for a couple of weeks. But I have never found a recipe I really like. I decided it was because it was custardy enough for me. I'm gonna try that!

• foodonastump
    12 years ago

I think I died and went to heaven and was reincarnated as a Cooking Forum Host, on TV.

LOL, Lou, I love it! Thinking about show names. Maybe "Baking with Vanilla Ice Cream." I've often been impressed with how well you cook for yourself when you're alone. That's something many people aren't inspired to do. So how about "Mess Hall: Cooking for an Army of One."

Waddaya think? Anyone else have any ideas?

Sorry...OT... But the end of Lou's post made me laugh.

• triciae
    12 years ago

Only because Lou & I are friends...

How about "Garlic Powder - A Little Dab'll Do Ya."

((Lou))

/t

• anoriginal
    Original Author
    12 years ago

After doing a bit of googling, Martha Stewart had about the least fussy recipe I found?!? Arborio rice (but sure any kind would work), milk, pinch of salt and sugar. Once at boil, on LOW for 40 minutes... stirred occasionally.

SIL remembers her mother making it when she was a kid. Have to check to see if it was baked at all.

• ann_t
    12 years ago

Here are two favourite rice puddings. One is baked, but still rich and creamy and the other is unbaked.

The coconut flavour is very subtle. But you could also substitute cream for the coconut milk. I also substituted vanilla for the Cardamon.

Home Cookin Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table

Creamy Coconut Cardamom Rice Pudding
    ====================================

Adapted from Kate Zuckerman's The Sweet Life
    Makes about 6 cups, serves 8-12

Rice:
    1/2 cup + 2 tbsp jasmine rice or basmati rice
    1/4 cup sugar
    1 (13.5 fluid oz) can coconut milk
    1 cup whole milk
    1/4 teaspoon salt

Custard:
    16 cardamom pods
    1/2 cup + 2 tbsp sugar
    1 cup whole milk
    2 cups heavy cream
    5 egg yolks
    1 egg
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 Cook the rice: Preheat the oven to 325F. Place the rice in a strainer and rinse with cold water. Place the rice in a heavy-bottomed medium-sized saucepan with 2 cups cold water. Bring the rice to a boil and immediately remove the pan from the heat. Strain the rice and discard the starchy water. Place the blanched rice back in the pan and add the sugar, coconut milk, milk, and salt. Bring to a boil, remove from the heat, and cover the pan with aluminum foil or the lid. Place the pan in the oven and bake until the rice expands and absorbs all liquids, 30 minutes. If the pan is not oven proof, transfer the rice to a metal or glass baking dish and cover with aluminum foil. If there is still runny milk in the pan, continue to bake, covered, for another 5 to 10 minutes. When the rice is done, remove it from the oven, leave it covered, and set it aside.

2 Make the custard: While the rice is baking, make the custard. Using the bottom of a small frying pan, crush the cardamom pods to split them open. (*I used a mortar and pestle.) In a heavy saucepan combine the cardamom pods and seeds, 1/2 cup of the sugar, milk, and cream and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Remove from the heat and allow the cardamom to steep for 10 minutes.

In a mixing bowl, combine the egg yolks, egg, and remaining 2 tbsp of sugar and briefly whisk for 1 minute. Using a ladle, slowly whisk some of the hot cream into the egg mixture to warm it. Gradually pour the warmed egg mixture into the hot cream, whisking the cream constantly as you pour.

Cook the custard over medium heat, stirring continuously and scraping the bottom with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon, until the custard thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon. Remove from the heat and strain the custard to remove the cardamom pods and seeds.

3 Combine the custard and the rice: Scoop the rice into a large mixing bowl. Pour the hot custard over the rice and, using a whisk, slowly whisk until all of the rice granules are dispersed evenly and the mixture is thoroughly combined. Add the vanilla extract. Allow the rice pudding to cool completely. This pudding will keep, refrigerated, for 3 days.

Variation: "Brulee"

Spoon pudding into ramekins and chill.

Sprinkle sugar over top of custards and place under the broiler or use a torch to caramelize.
    . My Notes:

Substituted a vanilla bean for the cardamom pods.

I split a vanilla bean and scraped the seeds into the milk and cream,
    along with the sugar, brought to a simmer and left to steep for 10
    minutes.

Home Cookin Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table

Rice Pudding with Vanilla Bean, Orange and Rum
    ==============================================
    From Lori

Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis

5 cups whole milk
    2/3 cup Arborio rice or other short-grain white rice
    1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
    1/2 cup sugar
    2 teaspoons dark rum
    1 teaspoon grated orange peel
    Orange segments

Combine the milk and rice in a heavy medium saucepan. Scrape in the seeds from the vanilla bean; add the bean. Bring the milk to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer until the rice is tender, stirring frequently, about 25 minutes. Mix in the sugar, rum, and orange peel. Discard the vanilla bean. Cook until the mixture thickens, 5 to10 minutes longer.

Spoon the rice pudding into bowls. Cover and refrigerate until cold, about 5 hours. Serve with orange segments.

• centralcacyclist
    12 years ago

My favorite rice pudding is made by Kozy Shack. I can't make it worth a darn. I add cinnamon and a spoon. It's perfect.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rice pudding.

• aliceinmd
    12 years ago

Our favorite rice pudding recipe features cooked rice and brown sugar. It is from The Stenciled Strawberry Cookbook published by the Junior League of Albany (NY) in 1985.

RAISIN AND RICE CUSTARD PUDDING

1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
    1/2 cup granulated sugar
    1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
    4 eggs
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    2 cups milk
    1 teaspoon cinnamon
    2 cups cooked rice, unseasoned
    1 cup raisins

Mix butter, sugars, eggs, vanilla, milk, and cinnamon in a blender. Grease a 2-quart casserole or souffle dish and pour in mixture. Stir in cooked rice and raisins. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Serves 10.

Notes: We usually stir the pudding every 10-15 minutes while it is baking, which gives it a creamy consistency; not stirring it allows the rice and raising (or Craisins) to sink somewhat. We have used both long-grain white and brown rice to make this pudding.

• coconut_nj
    12 years ago

My Dear Aunt Louise made the very best special rice pudding ever! She makes what some people call a fluffy rice pudding. Not sure where her recipe is right now but Ann's first recipe with the coconut milk sounds perfect to do this with. Aunt Louise just used milk and cream but I think the coconut milk would be great. Follow Ann's recipe up until you incorporate the custard with the cooked rice. Take those 5 egg whites you have left over and whip them to a soft peak with two tablespoons of sugar. After you whisk the custard into the rice mixture, gently fold the egg whites in. Pour into your cups and chill. The fluffy aspect of this makes it all the more special.

I think it's great you're doing this.

• ann_t
    12 years ago

Coconut, what a great idea. I usually pour cream on my rice pudding before serving. But I love the idea of the egg whites and a "fluffy" rice pudding.

Ann

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert