SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ed_lance

Completely new to water softeners, help!

Ed_Lance
12 years ago

We just had a well drilled and are about to go water softener system hunting. We are still waiting for the water analysis results, but are trying to get a ballpark idea of what we might be looking at price-wise.

I've done some reading and looking and so far Kinetico seems like a very good system. I started looking at Pelican, but if I understand correctly, this isn't a softener, but a conditioner (doesn't use salt or potassium chloride).

One thing I'm really worried about is iron. When the drillers first hit the water and we got the well finished the water flowed very clear, but after putting a sample in the microwave, it turns quite red, so there's iron. In fact, after a day or so of sitting and I turn on the water from the well (it's not plumbed into main yet, I have just the 1 inch line with a valve sitting outside) it runs really, really red, opaque red...it looks like brick colored paint!

I'm guessing an iron filter is going to be necessary.

Any idea what a Kinetico system with an iron filter will cost...ballpark?

We have a 4 member family. The well driller says with the pump he installed we are flowing 15 gallons per minute, although they measured the well when it was drilled at 30 gallons per minute. It's 92 feet deep with a 1/2 HP pump. It's cased all the way down instead of a liner.

Comments (2)