SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
imscattered

Bones, bones where's the bones??

imscattered
10 years ago

I grew up cooking just plain old food. Like meat that had bones, skin, fat. My first cookbook was a mid 1950's Better Homes & Garden. You should see the pages of cuts of meat. The fat is inches thick.

It started with the chicken breast. I still remember the first boneless-skinless chicken breast placed before me in a restaurant....I was flabbergasted! Now it's rare to find cut-up chicken with bones at the grocery. A whole chicken breast (with just a little salt & pepper) roasted with the skin & bones on and then removed before eating is flavorful and juicy! Now young cooks are instructed to do all kinds of things to that little naked beige piece of meat to make it moist again.

My BEEF tonight is about the boneless/fatless chuck roast. Where's my Good 'ol Pot-Roast with the bone-in and fat so those tators, carrots & onions are swimming in that good 'ol beef juice�ok,, fat.. Delicious! So where's the bone!!!

Do you cook with all the naked meat? I notice more & more we are wrapping other meat in bacon and pouring on all kinds of sauces and concoction to put juiciness back in meats. There's nothing dryer than a pork-lion roast unless you doctor it up.
When I take time to look around at what is available for the young families to cook today, I worry that many don�t even know what basic food is. You buy a package of an entree from the shelf or freezer-add that naked little chicken breast and you've "cooked" dinner. And too, many already has the meat in it--but what else??

So, my question is..how have we come to the point where the meat is completely stripped of all its flavor? Am I the only one who has a frozen turkey carcass in the freezer waiting for me to cook it down to lots of delicious broth for dumplings or noodles? It's the fat & bones of it!!!
Besides, Fido doesn't get the leftover bone anymore.

Comments (7)