SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lmhall2000

I had a bath today, unintentional..any tips on how to make repair

lmhall2000
16 years ago

I'm doing a lot of the remodel on our new home..pulled up all the vinyl and laying hardibacker was the plan today..removed the old vanity and toilet with no problem...unfortunatley the kick molding had an issue with the toilet piping...while my dh tried to help me he accidentally pulled too far up and the pvc piping broke off and we had a dam break in this small bathroom...new to the house we had no clue where the cutoff was..10 minutes later we have a mess..good news is our neighbor had PVC cutters and elbows to repair the one we broke, so that is good.

Here are my issues....

This bathroom is on the first floor over a crawlspace...

I tried my best to chunnel water into the toilet drain that was exposed but a good portion (whew, water pressure was strong! finger in dike did not work) went down the adjacent exposed hole where a vent cover sat. My dh went underneath and cut a small hole in the ductwork to allow the gallons to escape into the crawlspace.

A. Should we replace all that ductwork?

B. Will the water evaporate or is it too late to worry about that?

C. How long should I wait for the plywood to dry before I lay hardibacker down?

The water also poured into the shared wall with a bedroom, but since we're replacing all carpets we just peeled it back and threw it to the curb...letting that subfloor dry as well....

Anyone have experience with water floods like this one?

Thanks so much!

Tara

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living