SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
b4wine

Is it just me, or has Southern Living magazine slipped---

beth4
16 years ago

---slipped in quality, originality, calibre of decorating, cooking and gardening articles? For years I've enjoyed this magazine and looked forward to its monthly arrival. Now, I'm thinking about not renewing. Perhaps its because I'm older (over 60), and have read the magazine for so long...but the recipes now look very simplistic and ordinary (whereas before I used to pull out all kinds of recipes), the decorating style is routine and kind of "blah", and the gardening is no longer as interesting and stimulating as it used to be. I've noticed a lot of the writers I used to like to read don't seem to be contributing any more. And, so many of the items seem to be repeated every month or so...like the recipe for King Ranch Chicken. I don't ever remember Southern Living doing that in the past. It really used to be a high quality magazine.

What do you think is going on? Reorienting the magazine to capture younger readers?

If so, I guess I'll go climb on the "Old Fogey" pile, as there just don't seem to be magazines that appeal to me anymore -- other than the iconic Traditional Home. :)

Have you noticed any changes with Southern Living?

Comments (21)