SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nimhiril

last-minute deliberations--apron sink next to corner?

nimhiril
16 years ago

I am on the verge of just giving in and ordering a stainless steel undermount sink, but I keep hesitating because...I really love the fireclay apron fronts! Due to the location of the sink, though, I'm wondering if I should just permanently put that option to rest. Please tell me what you think.

The sink will be on a new peninsula overlooking the dining room. To the left of the peninsula is the long kitchen wall with a window and the main bank of cabinetry. Per plans the total peninsula projection from that wall is 80", which is just enough for: the 24" base cabinets along the wall (the corner one will open to the dining room side), the 30" sink cabinet, the 24" dishwasher, and a support for the granite countertop at the end. I figure because of the overhang of the granite on the main-wall base cabinets (something like 1"-1 1/2" is standard, right?), a 30" apron front is not even an option. So I'm looking at the 28" Franke, but even then it seems like the granite will have no chance to "turn the corner" before meeting the left edge of the sink. Just a straight line all the way along the cabinets and then continuing along the edge of the sink! Will that just look too strange, making it not worth it? Should I go with the 25" Kindred undermount, which will at least allow a decent inch or two of countertop at the corner before the sink begins?

Also there will probably be a right-hinged door on the base cabinet just across the corner from the sink, and I'm concerned it might smack into the front of an apron sink when opened. But I could possibly do drawers there instead, and I probably have room in *that* bank of cabinets to add a little filler, so the bigger issue is the appearance at the peninsula corner.

I *had* hoped we could just squeeze a few more inches onto the peninsula to add some filler at that corner, but it looks like we will have to stick with 80" or the walkway at the end of the peninsula will be too narrow. (The trick here is that our kitchen is relatively narrow overall.) Demo started yesterday so as of last night I'm getting a much better idea of how the measurements on the plans we've been working with correspond to reality (not always exactly the same!)

Final measure for cabinetry tomorrow and then need to place the order, so any timely feedback would be appreciated!

Oh yes--and I know there are 24" apron fronts available, but the interior of the bowl just seems a little too small. At least with the Kindred I get 23 x 17 interior bowl size.

Comment (1)