SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
peony4_gw

Slipcover sofas maintenance and brands

peony4
10 years ago

We have a living area off of our kitchen that I assumed, once we finished our basement with a media center and the kids became teens, would be my own special space...Fast forward to today, and my teens and husband have decided they like hanging out in my space. This is a pleasant surprise, and now I want to accommodate all of us (and our dog) in "my" space.

We need to replace our 20-year-old furniture in this room. (We bought quality--and it's lasted.) From what I've read and researched, though, I shouldn't expect the same quality in today's sofas without spending at least what my kids' orthodontics cost. Reupholstering a CL sofa isn't an option, as the CL listings in our area are overpriced and of poor selection. One of our currents sofas is leather (going to the basement), and the other has already been reupholstered once, so I'm ready for new.

I think the most practical solution for my/our space with teens is a slipcovered sofa. The problem is that I know nothing about slipcovers, and I only saw a few references with the "slipcover" search about how to buy/use them in this forum. Also, DH doesn't like the look of slipcovers--he thinks they look unkept and sloppy. So I want the convenience of slipcovers but would like for them to look more tailored.

Is there a brand of sofa with slipcovers that is recommended in the $2,000-$3,000 range that looks more tailored? Or am I not being realistic? I realize I'm asking for the best of all worlds here.

Also, based on my understanding, slipcovers should be white or off-white so that they can be laundered in hot water and perhaps a bit of bleach. Is there any advantage to a darker slipcover--or should, at a darker color, I go with regular upholstery?

Comments (12)