SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
megpie77

For those of you with kids and slipcovered sofas

megpie77
14 years ago

For as long as I can remember I've wanted slipcovered sofas. I told my hubby the other day I'll probably have to wait till kids are grown and out of the house for this. I have a sofa now that is cotton white and taupe striped and boy did it get soiled over the past 6 years! Am I crazy to purchase a cotton slipcovered sectional? The sales man told me it should hold up fine...he could have suggested more expensive sectionals in microfiber. He told me to just throw it in the wash when needed and to take it to cleaners when there is a serious stain. He did tell me not to get the natural color but rather the khaki. I don't mind the maintenance but is it really possible to keep it looking fresh? I will say I don't let the kids eat or drink in the family room except the occasioal greasy popcorn. I think I am more worried about the fabric getting soiled from everyday wear (and the occasional greasy popcorn). The sectional is not very expensive in my opinion (1700.00). I don't think I'd want to splurge on a pottery barn or ballard designs sectional for our frequently used family room. Or would a more expensive sectional hold up better? With the name brand sectionals I can by extra slipcovers down the road, unlike the less expensive one which does not offer this option.

Thank you!

Comments (21)