SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cicadidae

okay so I went ahead and did it

cicadidae
13 years ago

She is a 9 month old pug and I got her because our family seemed to need another dog and because our pyr mix seemed to need someone to care about.

She has become queen of the house instantly. Loves cats. Bonded to me very quickly (maybe too quickly?). Barks and snarls sometimes at my roomie (but then this is just day 2). I don't put up with it and if she does it when I am holding her I say "no" and put her on the floor. She stops right away and even goes to my roomie for attention. I allowed her to sleep with me last night but I am wondering if this will make her bond to me too much and decrease the chance of her bonding with the rest of the family. Although she was crated in her previous family, she grumbles and whines when put in it and I gave in (wanting my own sleep) and let her into my bed.

Obviously she is a terrific dog. I had no clue pugs were so smart either! I want her to be a happy family dog who does not bond to just one person and who is not insecure when I am not around.

The other thing I am worried about is if I should take her with me when I go to work. I work with foster kids and they would love to meet her. My days are long and involve a lot of traveling. My concern again is, will this extra time with me reinforce her bond with me and diminish the possible bonds with the rest of the family?

Okay so this is day 2 and I am probably expecting too much. She probably misses her previous family who totally adored her and I probably need to relax and allow her to grieve and adjust.

Any gentle suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments (6)