SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
empet_gw

Layout help please - a many-doored kitchen

empet
13 years ago

I'm emerging from just lurking around the forums, to ask for some comments on my proposed kitchen layout. We're DIYers with a genius FIL carpenter to make it all happen, but no pro design help.

The house is a not-at-all-historical 1915 colonial(?) in a working-class New England neighborhood. We want it nice to use but not too posh for the area. Style goal is modern but not stylized, clean lines without decorative grooves to trap gunk in, efficient working layout for me and my husband. No kids yet, so I barely know what baby-friendly means, but we might want that.

The house layout is odd, a circular floorplan involving the kitchen, living room, and dining room all arranged around a front stairwell, with extra stairs in back - yet it's not an open floorplan or a "great-room" type feel. Here's a map of the first floor with the current kitchen counters/appliances as installed now, free-standing furniture in brown. Coming in the front door, there's options for kitchen, living room, or stairs up to the bedroom/office/bath level; the back hallway goes outside, upstairs (bathroom), or basement. Oddly enough, because there are doors and stairs to everywhere from everywhere, the kitchen is not constant through-traffic, there's always an alternate route. The odd-shaped closet is a pantry; the built-in hutch between the dining room and the stove holds plates/bowls, and stovetop pots/pans.

Physical constraints marked in red:

- The drain vent column for the whole house is to the left of the sink; maybe could move the sink, but not the vent pipe.

- The pantry wall is loadbearing, and there's enclosed HVAC in the corner.

- The window over the sink is half-height; the other window extends below table level. Could be shortened, if necessary, but it's not good for the budget.

From Drop Box

Current use of the kitchen: Two cooks alternating nights of being king-chef and prep-minion - lots of fresh veg prep for skillet and wok, soups/stews, some baking. Microwave used daily for coffee; 2+ per week thawing/reheating; never large-scale cooking. We eat 95% in the casual dining room, 4% in front of the TV, and 1% weekend morning coffee and pancakes-fresh-off-the-stove at a little 2-seater kitchen table that's usually covered in mail and junk (those chairs get sat in for chatting with the cook more often than we eat at the table). Casual hostessing, bbqs, potlucks, extended-family dinners, but that's not frequent enough to plan my house around. I like the idea of having sitting space for "drink your wine and watch me cook because of course dinner won't be at 6:30 what was I thinking?!", but the breakfast bar won't really get much day-to-day action for eating.

Why we're really doing this (besides extra storage and cabinets that don't give me splinters):

- a dishwasher (sick of not having one!!)

- a vent hood for the stove (we're planning suspended glass-canopy island type - not pictured, it confused the overhead view) inconvenient but possible venting at ceiling level, even worse in the basement so not considering downdraft.

- we need to replace the fridge and don't want the constraint of the current 31" wide nook.

- Our splurge is an integral drainboard (part of either the sink or the countertop)

- No real interest in a prep sink, a pot-filler faucet, wall oven(s), or a giant OTR microwave.

From Drop Box

My DH, bless his heart, loves 3D design software, so he's tried over 20 variations in Sketchup, and this one is my favorite. I like that there's a lot of contiguous prep counter. I like that the prep/chopping person isn't standing between the cook and the sink or fridge. I like that the sitting space doubles as prep space when the stools are pushed under the ledge. I know the range vent duct will present some challenges, but I think it'll work. I worry a bit about traffic flow in that all the paths cross between the stove and the rest of the room.

The runner-up, a.k.a. cheap version, puts all the appliances in a row against the outside wall, and an island for storage/seating/prep space. Saves $ by keeping current range, easier cheaper range venting, less counter material, simpler/smaller island, but the paths are narrow unless we ditch seating. Other variations (narrow peninsula off pantry-side wall, move window for L shape or U-shape) didn't feel right, either there was a large part of the kitchen that just wasn't getting used, or the work area was cramped, or the traffic was weird, or a lot of effort for no real gain, etc. Maybe if we put shortened the window and put the stove directly in front of it, the L shape would work, but DH is pretty adamant that a stove in front of a window is bad.

Comment-wise, I am open to total rearrangements of everything especially if it revolves around something clever I might not have thought of trying. DH did a wide variety of layouts, (see above), but I'll try to stay open-minded and not say "we tried that!!" before I listen. Mostly I'm interested in hearing what you think are the weak points of the floorplan as-is.

The main questions I have:

1. The coffee+MW is on a 12" deep cabinet on the wall behind the person working at the stove.

a. As pictured, the walkways are 37" (stove side) and 42" (bar side) - or how should I divide that 79" of space up for easiest walking?

b. Is it worth sacrificing the 12" cabinet to get two 46" paths?

2. Junk over the peninsula: island-type range hood is a necessity. Is the cabinet between the hood and the wall good sense, or too visually distracting/heavy?

3. Non-linear bar layout a good idea?

4. Trash left of sink (convenient to sink, stove) or right of dishwasher (convenient to prep area)?

Thanks for reading - I was trying to be informative, but just ended up with "long-winded"!! :)

Comments (15)