SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bbstx

x post granite seam acceptability

bbstx
10 years ago

This is a cross-post from the kitchen forum. Since it seems to be an aesthetics problem, I thought it might also be appropriate here.

The granite guy spent several hours this afternoon working on the seam in my granite.

Before - up close

{{!gwi}}

After - up close

{{!gwi}}

Before - long view

{{!gwi}}

After - long view

{{!gwi}}

I am near tears, and if you understood how unusual that is for me, you could gauge the depth of my unhappiness and frustration about this.

The builder has said he will make the granite guy rip it out and totally re-do it. The problem will be finding matching granite. My kitchen is from 3 slabs that were cut 1, 2, 3. Plus, it took me forever to find the granite. Plus plus, I'm tired of screwing with this.

The owner of the granite company, who is a really nice guy but seems to know less about granite than a flea, said it passes the 2 foot test. This is not for others. This is for me, and I will be closer to it than 2 feet when I am working in my kitchen. I will see it!

He said what happened is that by mistake the edge got cut and polished and now they can't make a good seam.

btw, it isn't silicone caulk. It is some sort of resin. He couldn't tell me what sort.

Philosophically, I understand that this is just a d@mn rock and there are greater problems in the world than the seam in my kitchen counter. But I'm losing my ability to be philosophical.

Please help me put this in proper perspective. Mine is shot. Should I make him replace this one run? He'll have to buy another slab (I hate the idea of trying to make sure it matches the rest of the kitchen!), but when he does, there won't be a seam on that side of the kitchen at all. Should I make him totally replace all of the granite in the kitchen? The granite yard where I bought it has enough to re-do the kitchen. Should I suck it up and live with it? Is there another alternative I'm not considering?

Comments (27)