SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
purpleproject

Going to cry...is this counter installation acceptable to you? Seam in

purpleproject
4 years ago

the counter guy measured with tape (not digitally). he did say some of the walls were uneven (pretty common here) and so I thought he would account for that. we had to have a seam put in the quartz so it would make its way up th narrow stairs. here is a photos of the seam. it measures 1/16th inch at the wall and around 1/8" at the edge. :(

what do you think? should he have digitally measured /scribed the wall when he measuring? what would you do?

Comments (56)

• purpleproject
    Original Author
    4 years ago

thanks Sabrin. I will ask him to do so

• Shannon_WI
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

"the counter guy measured with tape (not digitally). he did say some of the walls were uneven (pretty common here)"

I am so sorry you have this seam. But I just wanted to say it has nothing to do with not measuring digitally or that the walls are uneven. My seam is perfect, though it is mitered. My granite fabricator did not use any digital equipment. He'd been installing stone counters for 25 years and had the expertise, and did not need digital measurements. Also, everyone's walls are uneven. Mine are beyond uneven. So my post is for other people reading this thread, so that they know that digital measuring or having even walls are not required for a beautiful counter fabrication and installation.

• Related Discussions

granite counter-top seams ... are we being too picky?

Q

Comments (44)
    These are my pics of my countertops placed Friday June 22, 2018. I cried looking at these seams. It looks so cheap. Fabricator explains that's the way it comes. I explained that I shouldn't be able to see the seams so clearly. It looks so unprofessional. They ended up taking them back to their warehouse. In hopes they say if it is quality control will try and fix it just to make it look better. Otherwise I will have to pay an additional fee for them to come out again to install. I just don't know what to do and if still looks the same. This is the first time I've replaced my counters in 24 years. I don't and can't live with it. looking at this for another 24 years. It looks so cheap and it really was not it's a lot of money to me. I hope fingers crossed that they will fix this problem. They never told me that there would be such seams. I thought the edges were done by a machine and it would be all one piece. I have read up on this and now understand there are seams. But now I do know that they should not look like this. If they are good fabricator you shouldn't be able to see them so clearly. I will find out next week what happens.
    ...See More

Seam in granite counter top

Q

Comments (51)
    Seeing this in 2024 and that seam is TERRIBLE! Either the technology has completely improved or people saying it’s completely fine just have a very low standard. 😳I have never signed off a counter with seems like this, nor will I.
    ...See More

Is this Kitchen countertop seam and backsplash work acceptable or not?

Q

Comments (30)
    The granite also had a crack in it which he buffed out and told me it was fine and I’m not sure if the edges are supposed to look like this because they look unfinished me and rushed? I’m no professional this is my first time getting my kitchen redone I did the research this company is trusted and has great reviews and has done great work in my area. And the only reason I have all these pictures is because this type of stuff happens to me and I try to be prepared for it the best I can but it’s just me I’m 30 I’m trying. That’s why I’m on here to try to get help to try to get opinions comments constructive criticism whatever will help me learn. I also know that this is not what I paid for and I’m also going to do whatever I need to do to make it so it’s done right and I’m not paying for it because I already did. I’ve asked for the contract multiple times they’re not giving it to me if there is one I was asked to sign it nor did I see it. But nowhere in the invoices was any type of backsplash yet I got one as it was included. So all around I’m just gonna do what I have to do though the job done right and to get what I paid for. Please keep in mind that I also work two full-time jobs and I’m trying to do this also because I work hard and I feel like I deserve it but I don’t deserve to get taken advantage of.
    ...See More

Is this acceptable for newly installed counter tops?

Q

Comments (2)
    "Can I refuse the counters or ask for a refund?" No, especially if the seam placement was a discussion only and not in writing. They can grind out the filled chip and do it over much more inconspicuously. Check your local laws, but you probably have an obligation to let them make you happy before you can begin any legal action.
    ...See More
  • purpleproject
    Original Author
    4 years ago

thanks Shannon.
    first time installing a counter. we just went to the shop our friends recommended so honestly did not shop around so had no idea that this was on the cheaper side for an installation (it's an msi Venezia quartz). would have happily paid more for a perfect install. oh well.

• User
    4 years ago

That is FAR from “a tragedy”. Get some perspective here. 15 years ago, that would be stellar. People’s expectations have risen, but their cost to achieve it has stayed static. Even by today’s standards, $3500 for quartz is pretty darn cheap. You don’t get the Crown Jewels for $35 on EBay. Realign your expectations to reality. It’s not a bad seam, and you paid way too little to have Beverly Hills top quality.

• M Miller
    4 years ago

Well I think $3500 is a lot for a manmade product. A mitered seam is Fabrication 101. For Live_Wire_Oak to think the job pictured is fine for a “cheap” $3500 says that it is her “expectations to reality“ need to be realigned. With very one of these types of posts LWO is chomping at the bit to rail at the OP like it‘s her fault. OP, you are justified in expecting a better seam. However, whether you will be able to get the contractor to completely re-do this is not that likely. They may offer you some kind of discount. Have you already paid in full?

• wolfgang80
    4 years ago

What does the fabricator say about the seam?

How many slabs are in your kitchen and is this the only seam?

• PRO
    Granite City Services
    4 years ago

I am a fabricator. Seam is unacceptable. Measure technique is irrelevant. Needs to be fixed if possible (possible in some instances by modifying the pieces but usually requires at least one part to be remade) or replaced.

• purpleproject
    Original Author
    4 years ago

thanks guys. I know it's not a lot of money to many but to us it is so it's upsetting..but I know in Grand scheme of things not huge. however I do think he needs to do things properly, just because it's his job and he should take pride in it? haha, I sound 100 years old don't I?
    length of long side is 112"

• purpleproject
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Wolfgang, this is the only seam

• purpleproject
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Miller - yes already paid in full. argh.

• wolfgang80
    4 years ago

3,500 for 1 seam and 1 slab is not cheap. The seam looks like a thickish grout joint. You have the right to be upset because the job looks amateurish.

• purpleproject
    Original Author
    4 years ago

thanks Wolfgang

• User
    4 years ago

$3500 is just the slab cost in most good quality name brand quartz. With zero fabricating. Sorry, but for a whole fabricated quartz kitchen, it’s very very low.

• PRO
    Design Loft Bracebridge
    4 years ago

I've used a Fabricator who would measure as well as use stiff/thick paper to make a full-size mock-up template of the countertop. I also have used Fabricators who use the laser to measure to input directly into a CAD system. Personally, I have never had a problem with either. However, I'm not a fan of measuring without any type of template.

I'm guessing. but if your guy only measured, he wasn't able to account for deviation in the wall. A 1/16" gap which is showing at the front of your seam would result in a much greater gap at the opposite end along the wall. The further you stretch along the wall, the greater the gap. Your guy probably "thought" it would be OK to fill the 1/16" gap rather than have a larger gap showing at the other end. Neither is acceptable as far as I'm concerned, but, if you were installing back splash, the gap along the wall would not have been noticed whereas the seam is front & centre.

It's kind of the same idea of placing something against the wall & filling a gap with caulking. Very lazy & unprofessional, IMHO.

Is the seam horrible? No. Is it acceptable? Not really in my books. Is the price a reason for laziness? No, but there is a reason some people charge more than others. Some are better at what they do than others.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    4 years ago

"$3500 is just the slab cost in most good quality name brand quartz. With zero fabricating. Sorry, but for a whole fabricated quartz kitchen, it’s very very low."

GD:

Had you taken the time, as I did, to measure the square footage of the job, you too would have found it at just under 30 square feet. $3,500.00 divided by 30 = $116.00 per square foot. Not only is that not "very low", it's good money for any quartz job. Math before mouth next time, please.

• User
    4 years ago

Slab price is everything. Square footage means nothing unless a fabricator is willing to stock the material on hand in the yard. 10 slabs of investment at least. 45K tied up in stone sitting there. Very few yards will do that. Anything special order that is non stock has to be brought in by the whole purchased slab. Except some Hanstone, which has a half slab ability. That means a whole slab minimum purchase. Even for small jobs like a vanity.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    4 years ago

GD:

The more you speak, the more you show how little you know about the engineered stone industry. Fabricators rarely stock anything; there is no need. They order the material they need through the major manufacturer's distributors, just like I did for Corian. I'll bet they can buy 1/2 sheets like I did too.

How else do you explain the complaints here about not being able to see slabs beforehand? Fabricators don't stock, that's why. And the distributor doesn't want retail customers wandering around their warehouse.

• User
    4 years ago

Exactly my point. You order, and pay for, a whole slab. Regardless of the amount of square feet of counter cut from that slab. Yes, there are some fabricators who do stock some quartz. No more than 4-5 of the most popular colors. Those fabricators are the only ones that would charge by the fabricated foot only. That is the only situation where only the actual square footage used gets charged. The rest pay for those $3500 whole slabs, and then pay for how much gets fabricated out of that slab. Which would be more than $3500 In any name quality slab quartz. Which is why $3500 for this is darn low. It doesn’t even factor in a decent labor rate. That would be $1200 at a minimum.

• Lynda
    4 years ago

That would not be acceptable to me - I would require it to be replaced.

• daisychain Zn3b
    4 years ago

Pretty sure the OP doesn't care whose balls are bigger, but would probably appreciate advice on how to proceed.

• purpleproject
    Original Author
    4 years ago

ha Daisy. I am reading all this hoping for some knowledge in between..

• purpleproject
    Original Author
    4 years ago

hey guys,

for what it is worth, if I recall correctly, this particular slab he had in stock already.

second, I didn't say this earlier but they put in a 4" backsplash on the sink wall, cut from the same 3cm thick slab. when he was measuring i had my rohl faucet out in case he needed measurements. he said it's all standard and didn't take it out of the box. well they installed the backsplash and the handle of the faucet now hits the backsplash when it is furthest back.
    he says I should neither install the handle on the front (huh??) or get a new faucet, this isn't his fault. ugh. am I in the wrong here? should I have known handle clearance? I am asking him to remove the backsplash because it took us forever to pick the faucet. he says it will ruin the drywall since it was glued on. I will have to tile there anyway since I need some kind of backsplash. :(

• User
    4 years ago

Move the handle. It should be in the front anyway. That way all of the drips go in the sink. It’s the preferred location. He is right, removing the backsplash will likely rip off the drywall paper.

• Shannon_WI
    4 years ago

“should I have known handle clearance?”

I am sorry, but yes, you should have. Also, some faucet brands make faucets where the side handle does not go back - so that fully on is 90°, i.e., the handle rotates forward only, not back, and fully-on is pointing straight up. Grohe makes some like that (the Ladyluxe3 Pro is one), as well as some other brands.

”install the handle on the front (huh??)”

Actually, people who have faucets which allow the handles to be positioned to the front rather than the side really love them. Not only because it eliminates the clearance issue, but because it prevents water drips from wet hands on the faucet handle from accumulating on the counter under the handle. You think this is minor, but it’s not. No more messy area under the handle, or damp backsplash caulk behind it, or mineral spots on the counter from dried water drips.

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/2442104/positioning-single-handle-kitchen-faucet

• purpleproject
    Original Author
    4 years ago

wow Shannon. I had no idea! thanks for letting me know! maybe this would be the best solution!

• Sammy
    4 years ago

Wait, hold up a second—You said you provided the faucet in case he needed measurements, yet he chose to do his own thing without even looking at your faucet, which, again, according to your earlier statement, was sitting right there. So how is this your “fault?”

• PRO
    Design Loft Bracebridge
    4 years ago

After reading the issue of the back splash & faucet, I really believe this guy is a second-rate fabricator. Regardless of the position of faucet handle, he should have checked the faucet when templating. My fabricators always request the faucet be on site at time of template. Had he looked at it, he could have advised you at that time that it would not work with the 3cm back splash, or possibly changed the hole position. At that time you could have made a decision on the back splash or faucet. Any good fabricator would have consulted with the homeowner before continuing with back splash & faucet hole placement.

• athomeeileen
    4 years ago

Faucets are all different. The fabricator couldn’t know how far back the lever would go. If there’s not enough room for it, the faucet doesn’t fit. If homeowner provides the faucet then homeowner should know the needed dimensions.

• Allison0704
    4 years ago

I'm sorry you're having these issues. Honestly, I stopped reading comments when they became a bit nasty, so I apologize if this has been mentioned. Your L layout is very similar to mine. I bought our soapstone slabs from our fabricator. Instead of having a seam like you, he cut two pieces from 1 slab and the small seam is behind the sink (about 3" from the right side). This is the only seam in the entire kitchen, and it's about 6" long. I also have the slab running behind the sink towards the windows, then on the window sill. This fabricator, and all of the ones we have previously used, either wanted the faucets and sinks, a copy of the specs or the name and model number.

As someone mentioned, I don't think your fabricator prides himself on doing a good job. I hope you can come to a reasonable agreement.

• wolfgang80
    4 years ago

Sorry if I missed this—have you said anything about your displeasure with the seam to the fabricator?

• stillpitpat
    4 years ago

athomeelleen - she had the faucet right there and he said he didn't need to see it. that's on him, not the OP.

• purpleproject
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Wolfgang - yes. he said he will send someone to fix the seam somehow and make sure we are happy. the counter dealer is a nice guy..the fabricator is the one who doesn't seem to take pride in his job.

• purpleproject
    Original Author
    4 years ago

thanks Allison. yes that is the frustration that he didn't even ask for the faucet manual and I had it right there (I honestly think sometimes when men in the business see women they just kind of ignore our concerns...ugh). The seam you describe would have been so much better. :(

• purpleproject
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Sammy - I also thought it's not my fault. I mean I didn't think it was my job to micromanage seams and faucets...I assume the guy is the expert. :(

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    4 years ago

GD:

I looked up my pricing on Corian quartz slabs. DuPont is not known for selling materials to fabricators cheaply. The most expensive jumbo I can buy is just over 2K. I don't know where you're getting your $3,500.00 per slab number. I doubt Cambria even gets that much per slab.

The pictured quartz looks similar to Corian Quartz's Neve. My material costs would be just over $1,000.00, leaving about $2,300.00 for labor and profit (nearly double your $1,200.00 guess) on a $3,500.00 job. I repeat, math before mouth, please.

• purpleproject
    Original Author
    4 years ago

hi - it's MSI Vincenza.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    4 years ago

purpleproject:

May we see a picture of your front rail/sink/faucet/backsplash? Include the depth of the front rail, countertop, and overhang please.

There is no need to have a faucet on site except for installation. Virtually every faucet hole is 1 3/8" diameter. The position of the faucet hole is determined by the sink placement which should be as far forward as possible. Sink openings are cut at the shop.

• purpleproject
    Original Author
    4 years ago

maybe this helps?

• purpleproject
    Original Author
    4 years ago

not sure what is Front Rail?

• purpleproject
    Original Author
    4 years ago

thanks to everyone for your comments. I wish I had asked BEFORE but as always , live and learn. I know many of you enjoy the home improvement stuff and many of you are experts, but I am just a home owner and this is the first time kitchen renovation. so honestly as much as I did try and understand things from Houzz (for example, I made sure the counter stuck out more than usual because my knobs are 1" and I wanted the overhang to cover them) there is so much I did and still don't know.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    4 years ago

Since you have an apron style sink, you have no front rail.

Have them tilt your faucet just enough that the handle doesn't hit the splash. Some think it's easier to operate that way anyway.

• purpleproject
    Original Author
    4 years ago
  • PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    4 years ago

Thanks. I have my standards; they are nonnegotiable. I have no work I'm not proud to have my name on. This is why customers get when, where, why, and what, but I always keep how and who.

• athomeeileen
    4 years ago

I only mean that the guy doing the counter is responsible for the faucet hole placement. He’d have to simulate an installed faucet to see how far that handle goes back. I’d be surprised to see a regular counter guy looking for the faucet handle clearance. It’s not their job to spec the faucets or double check the handle or make sure the sink depth leaves enough room for the faucet and all it’s parts. The KD is responsible for that stuff. If the homeowner is the KD, there ya go.
    I recently made this mistake. It was my fault. My Rohl faucet handle hits the window trim. But the powder room faucet not centered on the sink, that was their mistake and they had to replace that counter. We can agree to disagree.

• purpleproject
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Eileen, yes totally get that. I have a KD, but we missed this. it's fine. not a huge deal but I told them counter guy to tell his fabricator that the next time he should take it into consideration so that other customers are not annoyed like I am.

• AMS
    4 years ago

I am sorry you are having these issues and am glad the experts are weighing in. I just stopped by to comment that I *love* your cabinets - what is the paint color? I am constantly changing my mind, but am currently in a "taupe cabinets with white counters and backsplash" phase and think your kitchen is going to be gorgeous!

• purpleproject
    Original Author
    4 years ago

thanks AMS. they are Sherwin Williams Shiitake. I painted many many samples on large placards before landing on this colour. What have you narrowed down to? this is a North facing kitchen so doesn't get any direct sunlight so a lot of colours were reading pink or purple undertones..it was crazy!

• purpleproject
    Original Author
    4 years ago

AMS - other contenders were BM Edgecomb Gray, SW Antler Velvet, SW Nantucket Dune . Good luck!

• AMS
    4 years ago

Thanks purpleproject! I'm still researching, so haven't narrowed down colors yet, but it's helpful and interesting to hear about how colors changed for you. Edgecomb Gray definitely reads slightly lavender in my space (used it in my living room).

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH