SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dishdiva

Granite installation -- what's acceptable, what's not?

dishdiva
13 years ago

Good morning!

Coming up from the depths of lurkerville, need answers asap.

After a year of kitchen renovation, it's finally time for the granite installation. Well, it was time last week. Installers came, started install (5 weeks after ordering granite), and as they were installing the 8' piece with the undermount sink cutout, I noticed it was cracked between the sink cutout and the front. No no no.

They took back that piece for refabrication, and another 54" piece for slight chips along the edge that I wanted repaired.

The installer has called and wants to reinstall tomorrow.

I've used the search function on GW and found the very informative post by Stonegirl about granite installation, but can't seem to find any guidelines as to what is "okay" and what is "not okay" with an installation.

Here are my concerns....

1. The granite is Sensa uba tuba. Knowing that they had to cut another slab to replace the cracked piece, I expect that it should match what's already installed. If there is a noticeable difference in pattern or color, is it reasonable to ask that it ALL be taken out and redone? (The sink run is part of a larger L configuration, it has to abutt another existing piece.)

2. Are surface pits in uba tuba normal? There is one in an installed piece, but it's where the cutout for the cooktop will be, so not concerned with that one. What if there's one in the new piece? Acceptable? Acceptable if fixed with resin? Or is it reason to reject?

3. The seam where the two parts of the L configuration meet was smooth and well-done with the original installation prior to me finding the crack. It appears the installers may have chipped up the edge of the seam on the piece left here when they removed the cracked piece. It feels pretty rough right now. Should I wait and see what they do with the seam during installation? Or speak up and voice concerns first? Is this normally something that can be fixed to look perfect?

I am already hearing excuses from the installing company about how granite is a natural stone product, yada yada yada, not all perfect...

Honestly, I expect a perfect installation. I want smooth seams. I want a non-marred surface. I want edges that are not missing chunks. I want it all to match. I have one shot at getting this right. (i.e., we won't be ripping this out to redo it later!)

But I don't want to be unreasonable.

If the installer tries to tell me that filling in missing stone around a chipped seam with epoxy is acceptable....well.....IS IT?

ohdearlordpleasehelpmesurvivethis

DEEP BREATH

This is the seam where the damaged piece was removed:

This is looking over the island to where the sink should be:

This is where the piece was that we sent back for 3 chips along the edge:

The cabinets are a mixture of (mostly) new unfinished and a few old that are in the process of final sanding in preparation for painting. (Plan is for BM Satin Impervo in Linen.)

After the holidays, I plan to write up this whole "adventure" in my journal, with photos.

Thanks, and I apologize for the length of this. I am totally stressing out. :(

Comments (8)