SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thomaspultz

Do New Natural Gas Lines Need to be Purged?

Tom Pultz
15 years ago

Per the subject question, do new gas line installations need to be purged to assure a good supply of gas? If so, how should this be performed? I'm getting low gas pressure at my Noritz tankless unit.

The long story: as part of my seems-like-it-will-never-end tankless water heater installation I had a new line to the main, high pressure gas meter, Earthquake valve, WC pressure regulator and various runs of black iron pipe installed.

Now that my Nortiz tankless is all connected and ready to run, I'm having problems with combustion. On start-up I get a lot of fluttering sounds coming from the unit. Eventually those go away and the burner lights, but if I turn on another faucet the fluttering sounds come back again.

Today I thought I would just run hot water at the kitchen for 20 minutes or so to see how it would work. I got the same start-up noises, then hot water... for a few minutes. Just as I was starting to wash the dishes the water started running cold. I checked the Noritz controller and it was flashing "90" which means "abnormal combustion, low gas supply pressure."

I am at a loss to explain how I could have low gas pressure when I have a gas meter capable of more than 600K Btu/hr, a regulator (Fisher Controls, model HSR-CFBAMYN), with a spring set to 6-8" WC, 1-1/4" pipe from the regulator to the garage attic (less than 25 ft), about 6 ft of 1" pipe and finally a 3 foot section of stainless flex rated at 255K Btu/hr.

There are several other gas pipe branches that come off the 1-1/4" pipe at the back of the garage where it transitions to the attic (fireplace insert, gas grill, and gas cooktop), but none of those are operational yet.

The furnace and existing gas water heater are supplied with a separate 3/4" pipe that T's off the 1-1/4" pipe where it enters the garage and those both work just fine.

I don't have any means to check the gas pressure at the tankless unit, but it seems that somehow it is not sufficient, or possibly the Noritz internal regulator is at fault. Looks like I'll be needing a service call.

Any other ideas?

Comments (10)