SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
petra_gw

Reed's Candied Ginger

petra_gw
15 years ago

Heads up to my fellow candied ginger addicts!! This afternoon I happened across Reed's website. I knew they make ginger beer, but I had no idea they also sell bulk candied ginger. 11 pounds of ginger for $36, plus $6 shipping! The ginger has no preservatives, just diced baby ginger root and raw cane sugar. That's about the best deal I've come across, so I ordered. Of course, now I am wondering how to store all that ginger, I guess the freezer or fridge would work??

Comments (19)

• readinglady
    15 years ago

Candied ginger should keep almost indefinitely in the fridge and definitely indefinitely in the freezer, LOL.

Thanks for mentioning the supplier.

Carol

• petra_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, considering how much we like to munch on it, the 11 pounds might not last as long as I'd like.
    I already have plans for ginger dipped in milk chocolate, ginger dipped in dark chocolate, and ginger muffins. I hope they deliver fast. :o)

• Related Discussions

Homemade Ginger Ale & Candied Ginger

Q

Comments (4)
    There will be a sediment of grated ginger and yeast at the bottom of the bottle, so that the last bit of ginger ale will be carry ginger fibers. Decant carefully if you wish to avoid this sediment. Filter the ginger ale through a strainer if you find floating pieces of ginger objectionable. These are found in the first glass or two poured, and, since most of the ginger sinks to the bottom, the last glass or so may require filtering too. Rinse the bottle out immediately after serving the last of the batch. Here is a link that might be useful: Homemade Ginger Ale
    ...See More

crystallized/candied ginger

Q

Comments (3)
    Frankly, the ginger isn't right either. The best candied ginger comes from Australia-- BUDERIM is fantastic. It's very difficult to find here in the USA. Much of what we get is from Thailand, China and Fiji. Sadly its just not as good. Even See's Candy has given up dipping it in dark chocolate. Wah!
    ...See More

Use for sugar from making Candied Ginger??

Q

Comments (5)
    Tea Gingerbread Sugar cookies Ice cream Just use part regular sugar and part "ginger sugar" so it isn't overpowering. I think sugar cookies made with it would be awesome!! Deanna
    ...See More

Baking with candied ginger

Q

Comments (2)
    Thanks, lindac. I think what I had was fresh. It was Reed's, which I think is supposed to be a very good brand. It didn't seem to be dried at all. And yes, it was VERY flavorful! Before baking, that is. I may try candying some myself, To see if that might have been the problem. Rusty
    ...See More
  • jwm211
    15 years ago

I have some candied ginger on hand and have been wondering about uses for it. I like your ideas, Petra, and would like your ginger muffin recipe.

Anyone else have recipes or suggested uses for candied ginger?

Thank you!

• petra_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

jwm, this is the recipe I am planning to try:

Pumpkin Muffins With Crystalized Ginger

24 muffins

Ingredients

* 15 ounces pumpkin puree
    * 2 cups brown sugar
    * 1 cup unsalted butter, melted
    * 4 large eggs
    * 1/2 cup apple cider
    * 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    * 2 teaspoons baking soda
    * 2 teaspoons baking powder
    * 1 teaspoon salt
    * 4 teaspoons cinnamon
    * 4 teaspoons powdered ginger
    * 1 teaspoon nutmeg
    * 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
    * 1/2 cup crystallized ginger, diced

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. Grease two 12-cup muffin tins.

3. Mix together pumpkin, sugar and butter.

4. Add eggs and whisk until smooth.

5. Stir in cider.

6. Sift dry ingredients together and slowly add to liquid mixture.

7. Stir until thoroughly mixed.

8. Fold in diced ginger, spoon into muffin cups.

9. Bake until golden- about 20 minutes.

• amck2
    15 years ago

Time to 'fess up! A few weeks back someone posted about sources for candied ginger. That started a craving and I went through the can and 1/2 of the Ginger People brand I had on hand.

One post said to try the health food store as a possible source. Found bags of Reed's Candied Ginger there. Bought 2 - one for me for baking, one for DD because I heard it sometimes worked for morning sickness during pregnancy.

It was the best candied ginger I've ever had. I went through my baking bag, then started on the one I was going to give DD.

I actually did a search to see if there was some vitamin or mineral I might be deficient in that caused me to crave ginger, and if eating too much could harm me.

I think it's one of those things (like Halloween candy) that I can only have in the house right before I need it, or else....

Big thumbs up for Reed's!!

• petra_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

amck, I posted a few weeks ago, asking for a good source for candied ginger. I also found some at the health food store, but it wasn't Reeds, it was Island-something. Very good, but very pricey, $3.29 for a 6 ounce bag. I am so glad about your Reed's endorsement, I was kinda nervous about having ordered 11 pounds. :o)

• Fori
    15 years ago

My fruitcake recipe calls for it--it's a pretty spicy cake.

• petra_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

fori, could you post the recipe, please? Spicy fruitcake sounds good!

• Fori
    15 years ago

OK, this is not MY recipe...I just like it. I came across it in a totally non-cooking forum years ago and tried it as it looked good. I probably use more spice than called for, and I prefer my nuts nonsquishy so I don't soak them in the goo.

I just looked up the original and will link to it to properly assign credit. Hopefully that's proper netiquette.

And as a bonus, there's useful info about planted aquariums there and one can probably purchase fertilizers! :) (I haven't tried the new variation of the recipe; just the first.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Rex's fruitcake

• petra_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Mmm, thanks for posting, that does look delicious. 3/4 cups of candied ginger and lots of spirits, can't go wrong with that. :o)

• jwm211
    15 years ago

Petra, thanks for the muffin recipe. Can't wait to try it!

• petra_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

You're very welcome, jwm. They do look heavy on the calories, but so what, it's the season for good eating. :o)

• charlp
    15 years ago

just saw this ....I throw it in al kinds of things.sits next to the cook top.(also handy for fast nibbles)
    try
    cranberry relish, and cooked
    red cabbage and kraut
    stuffings bird and pork( as in choppes and roasts)
    BQ sauses and any asian variation
    muffins. brulee pie
    have even put it in the apples for strudlle

charlotte

• petra_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

charlp, I have a shortbread recipe with candied ginger somewhere, very good. Wouldn't have occurred to me to put it in shortbread.

• readinglady
    15 years ago

Ginger fans unite! One of my very favorite things. I'm just thinking about that 11-pound bulk order. What a temptation.

I have a steamed ginger pudding recipe that calls for brown sugar, butter, eggs, ground ginger, one cup of crystallized ginger, toasted almonds and brandy.

Carol

• petra_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

readinglady, 11 pounds sure is a lot, but it won't go to waste around here. :o) After amck's endorsement, I am even more glad I ordered it. :o)
    Your pudding sounds wonderful, is it difficult to make? I came across this ginger cookie recipe, the blog I linked has very tempting pics.

Chocolate Ginger Biscuits/Cookies

From Cherrapeño

100g/4oz unsalted butter, softened
    50g/2oz caster sugar
    175g/6oz plain flour
    ½ teaspoon baking powder
    1 teaspoon ground ginger
    50g/2oz crystallized stem ginger, finely chopped
    ½ a beaten egg

100g/4oz white chocolate, melted
    100g/4oz dark or milk chocolate, melted

In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter and sugar together until light and creamy. Add the plain flour, baking powder, ground ginger and the finely chopped crystallized ginger. Stir to form a stiff dough, adding the beaten egg gradually.

Roll out the dough onto a lighly floured surface to about 3mm thick and cut out with a cookie cutter. Place the shapes onto baking sheets and place in the fridge for half an hour or so. You can re-roll the the trimmings to make more biscuits.

Pre-heat the oven to 180ºC/360ºF and bake the biscuits for about 15 minutes, until pale, golden and just crisp. Transfer onto a wire rack to cool and dip into the chocolate, or drizzle melted chocolate on top. Leave to set.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chocolate Ginger Cookies

• lindac
    15 years ago

Oh lord! I thought I was the only freak that thinks ginger is candy....

• readinglady
    15 years ago

I succumbed to the allure of all that ginger. It was the natural cane sugar that got me.

Petra, those chocolate ginger cookies sound wonderful. DH says he doesn't like ginger but I've noticed if it's wrapped in any kind of buttery-sugary confection, he's quite happy.

Here's the pudding recipe. I think originally Williams-Sonoma included it with a pudding mold but I also found it online at freshmarket.com. It's been quite some while since I made this. Delicious, but I'm not sure I used that much ground ginger. It was one of those rare occasions when I failed to take notes.

Ginger Steamed Pudding

Ingredients:
    Â 1 1/2 c. brown sugar, packed
    Â 1/2 lb. unsalted butter, softened
    Â 5 eggs, slightly beaten
    Â 2 1/2 c. flour
    Â 2 tbsp. ground ginger
    Â 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
    Â 1 c. crystallized ginger, chopped
    Â 3/4 c. toasted almonds, chopped
    Â 1 tbsp. brandy

Preparation

Cream sugar and butter together until light. Add slightly beaten eggs to mixture and mix well. Add the combined flour, ground ginger, and baking soda. Mix well. Stir in the crystallized ginger and almonds, and add the brandy.

Spoon mixture into buttered mold with a center hole and cover with foil (Almost any bowl that splays out is suitable. Cooking time will be longer if there is no center hole).

Place mold into large pot of boiling water, enough to cover 2/3 up the sides of the mold. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 1 1/2 hours or more until firm. Remove from water and let cool about 10 minutes or until you can unmold it.

Once unmolded, cool slightly and serve with whipped cream and a garnish of mint.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: FreshMarket Recipe Archive

• petra_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Lindac, you're definitely not alone!! :o)

Carol, I bet it won't go to waste at your house either. :o) Thanks for the pudding recipe, it looks positively sinful. I am starting to worry that all this ginger will require trying out (and eating) lots of new recipes, and result in many, many extra pounds,eek.