SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
egor_sb

water wars! constant pump vs pressure tank?

egor_sb
16 years ago

I live in the mountains above Santa Barbara and have posted in HVAC section before.

My neighborhood of 12 homes gets its water from a open-air spring at top of the mountain, gravity fed and chlorinated into cisterns at top of hill and fed to the houses through 1inch pipes. Its a "sketchy" system but works OK most of the time. Water pressure gets low during summer, and sometimes there is no water at all for a few days until tanks can be filled by trucked up water.

Am getting married and my bride2be insists upon water "all-the-time" for some reason :) So I am converting a 2000gal fire suppression tank in my backyard into an emergency backup potable water supply. It is same level as my second story of my house so gravity aint gonna cut it, I dont think, but may be sufficient to fill pressure tank. Also my neighbors, in addition to not letting me drill my own well for fear of damaging their wells, dont want me to put this system in-line for fear of me sucking more than my fair share when water is trucked up. They are driving me nuts and thwarting my every attempt to solve my house's water problem! I know about "choosing your battles wisely" and may need to go to "war" on this one!

So I am trying to decide if I need a pressure tank that allows filling from both the neighborhood main system and/or my emergency back-up tank, or can I get by with a constant flow on-demand pump with a manual switch between supplies?

Also, is there a kind of switch that when pressure gets too low from the neighborhood system will automatically switch over to the reserve tank supply?

Sorry for the long post, but if anyone understands this and can help, would sure be appreciated!

Eric

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz