SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19706586

Retired Racing Greyhounds

User
9 years ago

I am a long-time dog and cat owner. Had Collies for eleven years and (English) Bulldogs for over thirty years, including ten years as a successful exhibitor and breeder.

Had to euthanize my thirteen year old Bulldog female three years ago... 13 is ancient for a Bulldog! Cried for days, donated all of my dog related items to various animal rescues and vowed never to have another dog.

Two weeks ago my wife and I submitted an application to be accepted as able to adopt a retired racing Greyhound... no hound experience.

I am 72 years old, good health, etc, and I have a particular affinity for older previously bred or over bred females. We are hoping to get an older female, possibly one that was kept for breeding after her racing career finished. These girls, I'm told, can be 7-9 years and are generally harder to place because of their age and possible medical issues.

I think I can do right by one of these likely over bred girls and make a difference.

We're excited about the whole process - they've checked my references, checked with my Vet, performed a one and one half hour phone interview, met with us at four 'meet and greets' at local pet stores, and we have our in-home interview scheduled for this Saturday.

Just wanted to share. Any Greyhound people out there?

PS I originally tried to post the above using the proper name of a female dog... got a lengthy message saying I had an illegal string. I edited the word out and replaced it with "female" and that's what you see above. lol

This post was edited by saltidawg on Fri, Dec 19, 14 at 7:29

Comments (69)