SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deeeeeleeeeete

Lost Cat Behavior - please help

Debbie Downer
10 years ago

Hardly recovered from losing my 22 year old calico to cancer/old age/euthanasia - now one of my 2 guy cats went missing... trying hard not to jump to grief and to keep positive right now.

His history is - he had been hanging out with ferals in a more rural area, was trapped and found to be friendly. He was in shelter for many months and became friends with Orange, my other cat, and I adopted them both about 5 years ago.

So on Saturday - he ran out the door and my approach is to not run after them when they do (or they just go off running and cant catch them) but wait till they settle down and then scoop them up at first opportunity. (Obviously, I will have to rethink this whole approach and get some sort of second door put up - but thats a discussion for another time).

Anyway there were new people moving in next door a lot of hubbub, and at one point a little girl charged after Figgy and chased him into woods/brush in back. In retrospect he really looked frightened and I wonder if he'd been traumatzied by some brat in his early years. But then... I stupidly thought, OK hes safe, I'll get him when the hubbub next door dies down. Except when I went out calling an hour or 2 later... no Figgy. He was just gone....

My question is - could he have reverted to feral behavior so quickly? missingpetpartnership.org (great site) has analysis of cat behavior based on personality, and I thought Figgy more of the clown type , a bold cat who would more likely travel. Ive been postering, I asked the neighbors about the moving van and went to check the vans the next a.m. as they were being opened. There is one garage about 5 doors down where people appear to be on vacation - Ive been knocking and getting down to call his name under the door but dont hear anything.... Still Im worried he might be in there.

God I miss him.....

Any thoughts, clues, suggestions, most appreciated.

Comments (8)