SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
angiepangie_gw

Help please. Ground cover for shaded beds, I'm lost

angiepangie
10 years ago

Hello,

We recently bought a house with a south facing porch. The porch is flanked by some nice flower beds. In which nothing will grow, and the neighborhood cats use as a litter box :-(

In the morning it is shaded by the house. In the afternoon, evening, shaded by a large old gum tree.

I spent allot of money on sweet potato vines, thinking they would fill in the area and then the cats would leave. It's been two months and the vines aren't spreading. I guess they don't get enough sun (as in none).

Does any one have ANY suggesions at all? I love mint, and I love how it comes back year after year- and if I thought it would tolerate the shade I would plant that. It would be boring tho, just a bunch of mint.

I also looked into evergreen box hedges- none suited for shade. I looked into peonies- they need at least part sun. Vinca? Would invade my porch railings.

I don't think any type of bulb would grow, either.

Ideally, I'd like something bushy, but not taller than the porch railings. Evergreen is a bonus.

My flower beds are a blank slate for you. Please help!

https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=10151426349188364&set=a.10151313659868364.1073741825.674588363&type=3&theater

Here is a link that might be useful: flower beds

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus