SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cearbhaill

Refinishing heirloom bedstead.... colors?

I am working on redecorating a bedroom, in which will be placed this metal bedstead that was given as a gift to my grandmother in 1910. It was purchased for her when she was 10 years old in order to keep her mind off having her tonsils out- I guess they thought recouperating in a new bed would make it all better!

{{!gwi}}

I am refinishing the bed- it's been painted many times over, so I will have it sandblasted to start. But choosing colors is difficult and I'd like some thoughts and/or suggestions. Should the panels and smaller bars be the same color as was done in the photo? Would three colors (top rail, side bars, panel) be too busy with the additional detailing on the embossed area? How about the perforated area being different from the flat pieces bordering it?

A lot to think about.

Here is one of the curtain panels I will be using that illustrate the colors of the rest of the room.

{{!gwi}}

I realize that these curtain panels are too casual and don't really "go" with the antique bedstead but I don't care. I always work under the assumption that if I love everything that goes into the room then it will be fine. I do, and it will.

Floors are old red oak hardwood and I won't be doing any rugs. Furniture is all very old and mismatched, but each has a story.

The house itself is a small rural Kentucky kind of cottage style.

My specific request is for thoughts or suggestions of what colors to paint the bed. I want something that will (obviously) work in this room but also translate well should I ever decide to change things up. Nothing stark like black or white- I was thinking of cream on the panels, an antique bronze on the main top rail (somewhat like in the photo, but a richer cream), and then detailing the embossed panels in a dark sand/gold with green, blue, and purple for the blossoms themselves. One flower on each panel will be magenta as that was my grandmothers favorite color.

Here's the embossed panel

{{!gwi}}

Thoughts on colors to paint the bedstead?

The embossed panel/ background?

Help?

And thanks...

Comments (20)