SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elba10

How does this menu sound?

11 years ago

My dad has a milestone birthday coming up next month. My sister & I just decided to plan a surprise party for him here for about 30 people (around what I can comfortably host). Here's what I came up with:
Appetizers: raw vegggies & dip, spinach balls, cream cheese & hot pepper jelly with crackers, artichoke pizza, shrimp cocktail, antipasto platter
Main course: (served buffet style) lasagna with meatballs, sausage & chicken (gets cooked in the sauce & served in a separate bowl), garlic bread & salad
Dessert: a big cake, cherry shortbread cookies, toffee bars (I'm making that name up, but they are flat with chocolate & heath bars or something, that my sister makes)
Beverages: hot spiced cider with rum separate set out with the appetizers, then beer, wine, soda with dinner, and coffe/tea with dessert.

I was avoiding too many meats with the appetizers, since there will be plenty of meat with the main course. My son is allergic to shellfish (he can be near it, just not eat it) but I know my dad would appreciate shrimp cocktail, that is why it is the only seafood. My son is also allergic to nuts, so maybe we could do some other chocolate cookie type thing instead of the toffee bars, I just know everyone else likes them.

A question about splattering sauce: when I am heating a big pot of homemade sauce, I wear an apron until everyone is served because whenever I stir it, ladle it, etc. it inevitably ends up on my shirt. I don't care about the apron when it is just my family, but thinking it is tacky to wear it at the party? Would you just wear black & hope for the best?

Comments (18)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm