SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tjg911

electric vs oil hot water

TJG911
15 years ago

i read a thread from last year that i found via a google search. it was from someone here in ct but the prices are so out dated going back almost a year.

are there web sites where i can compare the cost to heat hot water with an electric hot water heater at X cents per kWh vs using heating oil at $X.XX per gallon?

if anyone would like to comment here are my specifics:

i heat my house with wood so i may run the furnace ONE or TWO times per year for heat, often ZERO times per year so all my oil is for hot water. this is a new house built in 98-99, oil fired hot water base board radiators with a 'mega store' highly efficient (?) hot water storage tank. i do not want to generate hot water via wood.

i use 250 gallons of fuel oil every 16-17 months. there's just one person here and i am very conservative with hot water.

fuel oil is now about $3.80 to $4 a gallon, last time i filled the tank (275 gal) it cost $2.35 a gallon.

electricity has lots of charges but if i total them all my cost per kWh is $0.1668 plus a flat fee of $15 for 'distribution customer svc chrg'. last month my bill was $73.04 for 348 kWh and that is typically what i use.

so since i pay that $15 distrib servc charge anyway, if i heated my water with an electric heater it would be 16.68 cents per kWh.

i strongly suspect electricity is much cheaper than fuel oil at these fuel oil prices. however, the cost to buy and install a electric hot water heater would take some time to recover via the savings. even tho i almost never use the furnace, it seems that removing the 'mega store' tank and buying an electric water heater is spending money unwisely.

so how do i find the cost to heat water for a year using electric at 16.68 cents per kWh vs $4 for fuel oil?

thanks,

tom

Comments (5)