SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pestee42

biscotti

pestee42
16 years ago

Hi, I have decided to make some biscotti for a friends mother for Christmas. I've made a couple of test runs because I never made it before and it turned out well. My question is...how long ahead can I make it. It would be a help to make it a little early but I don't want it to taste stale or something.

Also, is this a good gift? I don't want to appear cheap. She is an elderly lady who has everything she needs other wise. I just know biscotti is a favorite for her. Maybe a pretty container of coffee or hot chocolate to go with it? I appreciate all ideas and opinions.

Thanks so much

Comments (13)

• lindac
    16 years ago

Freeze it!...My recipe has no butter or other fat....so the only thing that mightg et stale is the nuts...
    I think it's a great gift...I gave a fancy jar of biuscotti to friends for a lot of years for Christmas gifts. They loved it!
    Linda C

• canarybird01
    16 years ago

This recipe can be made three months ahead if you freeze the biscotti and one week ahead if you wrap them well and store in a tin. These are quite suitable at Christmas time as they include both almonds and cranberries, which are traditional at this time of the year.
    Find a pretty metal decorative container and you'll have a perfect gift.

Cranberry-Almond Biscotti

Makes about 20.

Ingredients:

Juice and zest of 1 orange - (my orange yielded 1/2 cup of juice)
    1 TBSP Amaretto liqueur
    1/2 cup (1 x 75 gram pack) dried cranberries
    1 3/4 cups (250 grams) (9oz) wholewheat flour
    1/2 cup (8 TBSP) sugar or sugar substitute
    1 teasp cinnamon
    1/2 teasp baking powder
    1/2 teasp bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
    1/4 teasp ground nutmeg
    1 large egg
    1 egg white
    1/3 cup (50 grams) (2 oz) toasted almonds, chopped

1. Heat the orange juice, Amaretto and cranberries in a small saucepan just until hot.
    Remove from heat and let stand for 10 minutes.
    Drain and reserve the juice.

2. Preheat the oven to 350F (177C) (Gas 4) and line a baking sheet with baking parchment.

3. Mix together in a large bowl the flour, sugar substitute, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and nutmeg.

4. In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, egg white, orange zest and 2 TBSP of the reserved juice.
    Stir this into the dry mixture until combined, adding more juice if necessary to make the dough moist.
    Stir in the almonds and cranberries.

5. With lightly floured hands, shape into a 16 inch (40 cm) log, then flatten slightly. Bake for 20 minutes or until firm.
    Slide log onto a cooling rack and cool for 10 minutes while you reduce the oven to 320F (160C) (Gas 2).

6. Cut the log diagonally into 1/2 inch (1 cm) thick slices.
    Place on the baking sheet, leaving a 1 inch (2 - 3 cm) space between each slice. (I didn't have room to do that...mine were touching.)
    Bake until golden brown and crunchy, about 25 minutes.
    Allow to cool on the rack.

The Biscotti can be stored in an airtight container for up to 1 week or wrapped and frozen for up to 3 months.

Source: Rick Gallop's GI Diet Greenlight Cookbook

SharonCb

• Related Discussions

What's the better off-white Kraftmaid Canvas or Biscotti ?

Q

Comments (20)
    livvibabiexo, We used Kraftmaid Canvas color cabinets throughout the house. In our kitchen, with our lighting, it comes across as warm white, which is what I was going for. Note: We had tons of problems with Kraftmaid shipping and lots of damaged merchandise that had to be reordered (and we are still dealing with this since last March!). I hope your experience will be be much better than ours. Good Luck!
    ...See More

Anyone have a favorite recipe for Biscotti ?

Q

Comments (2)
    There's a good one here: http://www.cooksillustrated.com/recipes/7216-almond-biscotti?incode=MCSCZ00L0 Here is a link that might be useful: Cook's Illustrated recipe for Biscotti
    ...See More

Slicing Biscotti Tip

Q

Comments (1)
    Oops, mouse slipped and put on wrong forum. Sorry.
    ...See More

Biscotti Slicing Tip

Q

Comments (26)
    My recipe is very similar to lars'....also no fat but that in the egg yolks. And I brush each log with egg before baking. Biscotti Di Prato 3 3/4 C all purpose flour (stirred till fluffy before measuring) 2 C sugar 1 tsp double acting baking powder 1/4 tsp salt 4 eggs 2 egg yolks 1 tsp vanilla ( or 1/2 tsp vanilla and 1/2 tsp almond extract if using almonds) 1 2/3 c almonds or hazel nuts coarse chopped and lightly toasted. eggwash Mix flour, sugar, salt and baking powder. whisk together eggs, yolks and extracts, add eggs, etc to flour mixture and stir until a dough forms (looks like it can never happen... but keep working it...it will. I sometimes add a VERY little sprinkling of water) add nuts, turn out on a non-stick surface ( I use a marble board or my formica rolling board) and knead 3 or 4 times. Divide into fourths and shape each piece into a 11 x 2 in. log ( make it "tall" as they flatten while baking) Place on buttered and floured baking sheets, brush with egg wash (egg yolk whisked with 1 T water). Bake at 350 for 35 min and cool 20 min. Slice 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick. Place on clean baking sheets ( cut side down) and bake 10 or 12 minutes at 275. turn pieces over and bake another 10 minutes. If you want to make them extra fancy, dip half a slice in melted chocolate and sprinkle with finely chopped nuts. You can make bigger 'scottis by making two thicker logs, but be sure to leave room for spread. Best dipped in tea or coffee....or best yet in a sweet dessert wine! Enjoy! Linda
    ...See More
  • mimsic
    16 years ago

Lindac, can you post your recipe, please. I love biscotti but have never made them. I would have to substitute something else for the nuts though.

• beanthere_dunthat
    16 years ago

I think biscotti would be a nice gift. I certainly wouldn't turn my nose up at receiving it. I've made them up to 10 days ahead and they were fine. I didn't dip them, though.

Speaking just for myself, I tend to be really picky about my coffee and tea, so just the biscotti in a clear jar with a pretty bow on it would be lovely. (I saw biscotti jars at Target for $5 last week.)

• CA Kate z9
    16 years ago

I was thinking that a bag of good quality coffee or tea would be a nice go-along; but then I like my chocolate biscotti with a glass of milk. :-)

• teresa_nc7
    16 years ago

I would stick to just the biscotti in a nice jar or tin. Many people are very particular about the kind/flavor/grind of coffee or teas they like. If you can find out whether she likes unflavored or flavored coffee, reg or decaf, black tea, green tea, herb tea, reg or decaf - then you could add on a small package of a beverage.

• hawk307
    16 years ago

Pestee : How about some Christmas Candies , along with the Biscotti.
    I only make the basic Anise Biscotti.
    Everyone here likes them.
    Here is the recipe if you want to try it.

Biscotti - Luigi

Preheat Oven to 325 Deg.

Ingredients:
    4 Large eggs
    1 1/3 cups Sugar
    2/3 cup of Oil + ¼ cup of Butter ( Softened )
    4 teaspoons Anise Flavor
    1/3 teaspoon Salt (optional )
    4 ½ cups Flour ?
    3 Teaspoons Baking Powder

In a Large bowl, place - the Eggs, Oil, Butter, Sugar, Anise Flavor, Salt.
    Mix with a mixer and add 3 cups of Flour and Baking Powder.
    Beat well then add remaining Flour and knead by hand on a floured worktop.
    Add just enough flour so the dough doesnÂt stick to your hands.
    Form into a soft ball and cut in two pieces. Roll and shape into12 to 14 inch rolls..
    If the dough has slight cracks, push the ends together, to shorten, roll out again.
    Repeat this until there are no more cracks showing. Roll out to the right length .
    Place on a lightly oiled cookie tin and flatten slightly, leaving the center higher.
    Leave a space between the 2 and the pan, they will grow.
    Bake in a 325 Deg. Oven for approx. 30 to 40 minutes. Or until slightly tan.
    Remove from the oven and place on a cutting board.
    Slice across , diagonally, making pieces about 7/8 in. ( size of a Nickel )
    Separate slightly. Control yourself !!! Let them cool, before eating. Save one for me.

LOU

• sally2_gw
    16 years ago

I have given biscotti as gifts a few times, and it has been well received. My biggest coup was I found a nice biscotti jar at an estate sale, and bought it for my DIL's parents. We had been out to eat together at an Italian restaurant that had biscotti jars as decor. My DIL's mother really liked them. When I saw that jar I had to get it for her. Anyway, how could I give them an empty biscotti jar?

I've also given biscotti to a very picky co-worker that doesn't like chocolate and doesn't like things too sweet. She really liked the biscotti. She didn't get a fancy container, but that didn't matter in that case.

Biscotti is so easy to make, and can be done with different variations, with different flavorings and fun stuff. Here's the basic simple recipe I've made. I've used almond extract at times, and anise extract at times. I've added almonds to the dough and I've just rolled the "logs" in slivered almonds before slicing. We've dipped them in dark chocolate ganache and white chocolate ganache. You can just play with it as you wish.

Biscotti
    Recipe courtesy Rocco DiSpirito

1/2 cup vegetable oil
    3 eggs
    1 cup sugar
    1 tablespoon anise extract, or 3 drops anise oil (my note: or use flavoring of your choice)
    3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
    1 tablespoon baking powder

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Grease cookie sheets or line with parchment paper. In a medium bowl, beat together the oil, eggs, sugar and anise flavoring until well blended. Combine the flour and baking powder, stir into the egg mixture to form a heavy dough. Divide dough into 2 pieces. Form each piece into a roll as long as your cookie sheet. Place roll onto the prepared cookie sheet, and press down to 1/2-inch thickness.
    Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until golden brown. Remove from the baking sheet to cool on a wire rack. When the cookies are cool enough to handle, slice each 1 crosswise into 1/2-inch slices. Place the slices cut side up back onto the baking sheet. Bake for an additional 6 to 10 minutes on each side. Cookie slices should be lightly toasted.

Recipe Summary
    Prep Time: 20 minutes
    Cook Time: 45 minutes
    Yield: 3 to 4 dozen
    Episode#: MP1B29
    Copyright © 2006 Television Food Network, G.P., All Rights Reserved

Have fun!

Sally

• doucanoe
    16 years ago

Wow, what a "qwinkydink", I made biscotti this afternoon (along with three other cookies) and I love 'em! Last year I gave them as gifts, made them about a week ahead and they were wonderful!

Here is the recipe I use, it's wonderful! (I didn't dip mine in the chocolate). I am definitely going to try a couple of the recipes posted on this thread, too!

Holiday Biscotti
    Source: Giada DeLaurentis

2 cups all-purpose flour
    1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
    3/4 cup sugar
    1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
    1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    2 large eggs
    3/4 cup pistachios, coarsely chopped
    2/3 cup dried cranberries
    12 ounces good-quality white chocolate, chopped
    Red and green sugar crystals, for garnish
    Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
    Line a heavy large baking sheet with parchment paper. Whisk the flour and baking powder in a medium bowl to blend. Using an electric mixer, beat the sugar, butter, lemon zest, and salt in a large bowl to blend. Beat in the eggs 1 at a time. Add the flour mixture and beat just until blended. Stir in the pistachios and cranberries.
    Form the dough into a 13-inch long, 3-inch wide log on the prepared baking sheet. Bake until light golden, about 40 minutes. Cool for 30 minutes.
    Place the log on the cutting board. Using a sharp serrated knife, cut the log on a diagonal into 1/2 to 3/4-inch-thick slices. Arrange the biscotti, cut side down, on the baking sheet. Bake the biscotti until they are pale golden, about 15 minutes. Transfer the biscotti to a rack and cool completely.
    Stir the chocolate in a bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water until the chocolate melts. Dip half of the biscotti into the melted chocolate. Gently shake off the excess chocolate. Place the biscotti on the baking sheet for the chocolate to set. Sprinkle with the sugar crystals. Refrigerate until the chocolate is firm, about 35 minutes.

Linda
    The biscotti can be made ahead. Store them in an airtight container up to 4 days, or wrap them in foil and freeze in resealable plastic bags up to 3 weeks.

• pestee42
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks every body. All the recipes look so good. I'm going to have to try them now too. :) I'm glad everyone thinks it is a good gift. I"m going to look for a real pretty jar.

• pestee42
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Just a up-date. I found some real pretty jars on e-bay.

• hawk307
    16 years ago

I'm glad my recipe is similar to Rocco's and Giada's.
    I feel good now !!!!!

Sharon : I have to try your recipe ( Rick's ) next.
    LOU

• san_
    16 years ago

i'd love to have any of the varieties that have been posted above--they all sound great to me!

robin kate posted this recipe some time back and i think it sounds like a GREAT change of pace! i hope to get around to trying them out one of these days...

PARMESAN BLACK-PEPPER BISCOTTI (robinkateb) Makes 5-6 dozen
    1 1/2 tablespoons whole black peppercorns
    4 cups all-purpose flour plus additional for dusting
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    2 teaspoons salt
    4 1/2 oz Parmigiano-Reggiano, finely grated (2 1/4 cups)
    1 1/2 sticks (3/4 cup) cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
    4 large eggs
    1 cup whole milk
    Special equipment: an electric coffee/spice grinder
    Put oven racks in upper and lower thirds of oven and preheat oven to 350°F.
    Pulse peppercorns in grinder until coarsely ground.
    Whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, 2 cups cheese, and 1 tablespoon ground black pepper in a large bowl. Blend in butter with a pastry blender or your fingertips until mixture resembles coarse meal. Whisk 3 eggs with milk and add to flour mixture, stirring with a fork until a soft dough forms.
    Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and quarter dough. Using well-floured hands, form each piece into a slightly flattened 12-inch-long log (about 2 inches wide and 3/4 inch high). Transfer logs to 2 ungreased large baking sheets, arranging logs about 3 inches apart.
    Whisk remaining egg and brush some over logs, then sprinkle tops of logs evenly with remaining 1/4 cup cheese and 1/2 tablespoon ground pepper. Bake, rotating sheets 180 degrees and switching position of sheets halfway through baking, until logs are pale golden and firm, about 30 minutes total. Cool logs to warm on sheets on a rack, about 10 minutes.
    Reduce oven temperature to 300°F.
    Carefully transfer 1 warm log to a cutting board and cut diagonally into 1/2-inch-thick slices with a serrated knife. Arrange slices, cut sides down, in 1 layer on a baking sheet. Repeat with remaining logs, transferring slices to sheets. Bake, turning over once, until golden and crisp, 35 to 45 minutes total. Cool biscotti on baking sheets on racks, about 15 minutes. Keep in an airtight container at room temperature 2 weeks.