SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gpraceman55

Ice maker water line

gpraceman55
11 years ago

We will be doing a major kitchen remodel here shortly and I wanted feedback on if we need to change the current way the water supply line to the refrigerator ice maker is done.

Currently, there is an ice maker box installed in the wall next to the refrigerator but that isn't being used. Instead, the previous homeowner had Culligan install an under sink water filter and they ran a poly line over to the refrigerator. The line comes off a T going to the filtered water tap, down to the basement, over and up through the floor to the refrigerator. I don't know what these guys were thinking. They ran the poly line right through the return air duct and used a little electrical tape to prevent the line from chafing. Yet, they had drilled a 2nd hole (through the kitchen hardwoods) which would have kept the line out of the return air duct. Well, we took care of that issue as soon as we moved in by moving the line into that 2nd hole.

For our reno, we will be shifting the refrigerator over to fit an oven/microwave cabinet. I'd still like to run a line from the under sink water filter to the refrigerator, but would like to do it properly. Should I run a 1/4" copper line instead of the poly line? I would like to install a new ice maker connection box but would need to find adapters to get the line to connect to the box. The basement is unfinished, so I have easy access, but later on we might want to finish the basement off.

I do also intend to yank the old icemaker connection box in the wall and cap that line. We already had a small flood from that line from a water hammer that blew the valve stem right out. As it will end up behind the oven/micro cabinet, I really want it capped.

Comments (6)