SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
adoptedbygreyhounds

Many thanks to Kframe19, Punamytsike, Gardengrl, and Arley (Pic

Thank you, Kframe, for sharing the plum pudding recipe. It turned out perfectly, was delicious, and people requested the recipe. I shared it with your notes and tips.

Thank you, Punamytsike, for posting about Orange Spiced Honey Meade and including the link to Gardengrl's blog. The meade was outstanding and the perfect end to our "merry olde English dinner." For our two bottles, I called it "Spicey orange honey meade."

And thank you, Arley, for the Pete Seeger verse. As you can see, I included it on the label for the meade. It was perfect because our neighborhood is called Druid Hills.

If it's good for ancient Druids

Runnin' nekkid through the wuids

Drinkin' strange fermented fluids

It's good enough for me!

Comments (13)

• mustangs81
    14 years ago

Wow, that is one of the nicest, coolest thank you's I've seen in a while. Great job all!

• doucanoe
    14 years ago

Yes, I agree! Very, very nice! And I love your presentation, too!

Now, let's get down to business....recipes, please? Somehow I missed 'em!

Linda

• trudy_gw
    14 years ago

I agree...beautiful presentation!

Catchy name for that mead.

Love the little guys too :)

• annie1992
    14 years ago

LOL, I also love your little "helpers" there, keeping an eye on that mead!

What a nice party.

Annie

• dirtgirl07
    14 years ago

Elizabeth, I keep forgetting that I saw another Atlantan on the intro thread, but your "Druid Hills" comment jumped right out at me. Had a few friends who lived over in the N. Druid Hills area years ago. Very pretty. I'm way up north from you in Alpharetta.

Love your presentation - especially that plum pudding. How Christmasy is that?!

Beth

• pkramer60
    14 years ago

Now that gave me some Christmas spirit! And I too need the recipe for the plum pudding. Can you use frozen Italian plums for this? I have some.

• punamytsike
    14 years ago

Wow, I am so glad I was able to contribute a little here in CF. I have gotten lots of help myself and it is nice to be able to give back a little. I just bottled lots of new honey mead. Now I need to wait 8 months or so and see if this batch comes out as good as the original did :)
    Love your label and the type, will need to keep it in mind for the next batch :)

Here is a link that might be useful: gardengrl mead link

• adoptedbygreyhounds
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks to all

Kframe19's plum pudding recipe can be found in the "Christmas goose, syllabub and plum pudding" thread. See link below. Don't miss the tips and suggestions. I liked this recipe because it didn't have nuts or especially suet.

Aw, Mustangs, thanks.

Pkramer, I believe the fruit should be dried fruit, but I am not an expert, by any means.

Dirtgirl107, maybe after the holidays, we should plan an Atlanta area get together.

Punamytsike, 8 months? Are you using a different recipe or just letting it sit longer? I actually siphoned mine off at about 6 weeks and it was delicious. Kathy's recipe on the blog says 7 weeks.

My little 'helpers' live all over the house at Christmas time. Makes decorating easy. I've been collecting them for several years and am always on the lookout for tall, skinny, old-world looking Santas, especially if they are wood carved. I probably don't NEED anymore, though, lol.

Here is a link that might be useful: Christmas goose, syllabub and plum pudding thread

• punamytsike
    14 years ago

The 8 months is aging in the bottle that mellows it out and makes it really, really good. After the initially weeks, my 2 batches have not been really drinkable LOL but boy, after the numerous months, I could not believe it was the same liquid. It made me then realize why it was called god's nectar :)

• kframe19
    14 years ago

Wow, I've been away for awhile and just found this thread.

I'm glad to hear that it turned out well for you, Hounds!

I ended up not making mine this year. I should have.

• jessyf
    14 years ago

Applause!

• arley_gw
    14 years ago

Glad it was a success.

If anyone cares to pursue meadmaking, I can recommend the book at the link. As soon as I lose a few more pounds I'm gonna make a few batches. I've made beer before but never tried to make mead--but everyone I talk to says that mead, while easier to make in some ways than beer, does take longer to mature. I'm thinking about making a simple honey mead this spring, then racking it into a secondary fermenter with fresh peaches when they come in season this summer. (I live in peach country, about 3 hours east of Atlanta. Of course, then it technically wouldn't be a mead, but a melomel...)

Here is a link that might be useful: the compleat meadmaker

• tami_ohio
    14 years ago

I attended a mead making demo at an area county fair this summer. I am adding a link for their web site with info and recipes for making mead for those who might be interested.

Tami

Here is a link that might be useful: mead making