SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pranjal_gw

Kitten - blood and mucus in stool ... (long post)

pranjal
16 years ago

Hi everyone, this is about Jas-purr the Pumpkinette. About 4 days ago I noticed blood and mucus in his stool (loose, smelly). Lab testing was inconclusive. More than a month ago he and his sister Coco suffered from a giardial infection. The 5-day Flagyl and Panacur paste course didn't seem to work, so the vet continued it for another week, and they both were OK after that.

I know that Giardia cysts are shed intermittently, so his stool has been sent to the vets again this morning.

They've both been on Royal Canin Sensitivity Control ever since they started the aggressive Flagyl treatment.

I gave Jas-purr some plain yoghurt for the past couple of days, thinking it would help re-establish the normal intestinal flora, if that's what caused the upset. Today's stool wasn't as loose, and there was only a lil bit of mucus in it, and a very small speck of blood.

I've no idea what the problem with Jas's stool was - and it's too early to say if it's gone away yet. I've been worrying myself sick - esp when I think he might have got something snagged in his gut which is causing the bleeding. He's eating well and playing a lot. I checked his symptoms on the Net yesterday and some websites said that this happens with many cats, and that sometimes vets just can't find the cause :(

I'm sure at least some of you must have gone thru this kind of situation, and would like to know about it. I'm hoping the lab results tell us something; we'll at least know what we're dealing with!

Comments (15)