SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
saphireny

Cat Peeing Everywhere

saphire
16 years ago

Our 17 year old cat, male tabby has never been great about the litter box. Part of this is our fault as DH was never great about cleaning it out when I was pregnant. However we have been much better. He is now an only cat, his brother died last year. Our basement used to be unfinished and they seemed to think it was ok to pee there. We never made much of an effort to stop them. However it has been finished for 3 years now and instead of peeing on the floor he pees on the furniture! He has destroyed every item we put down there. This inludes two leather sofas and now a futon. He has even peeded on my kids game boy (fortunatly it was under warranty)

In the last month or so he has started peeing in our dining room which has a wood floor. Tonight he peed on the carpet in our kids room. This situation is impossible. DH has suggested that it may be time to put him down.

I am not yet willing to. I will take him to the vet but assuming there is nothing wrong what can I do? I asked a vet friend a while ago and she said there are some medications. Anyone know about this?

As an alternative, has anyone let a declawed (came that way) indoor cat out for the first time at age 17? Is that simply ridiculous and cruel? I would of course continue to feed him but I cannot let him destroy my house. We live in the suburbs, there are some racoons in the area but that is about all

I cannot put litterboxes on other floors because I have toddlers besides, he pees all over the basement where his litterbox is located. Is there an additive that actually works that would make his regular litter box appealing. He does use the box but he uses the rest of the house in addition

Comments (13)