SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newhomeseeker

Cat urinating everywhere

newhomeseeker
13 years ago

My 3 year old female cat is peeing everywhere! First noticed it when someone peed on the kitchen counter. I have six cats (one is a foster cat) and I started putting each one in a separate room with a litter box to see if the inappropriate urination continued. Found out who the culprit was. She is a dilute tortie and has always been a very high maintenance cat since I found her abandoned as a kitten at 4 weeks old. She used to "scream" when she couldn't find her people and she is very talkative. She grumbles about everything. Last year she had to endure five new kittens in the house and was upset about that but no peeing on everything. She isn't the top cat but she is near the top and yet ocassionaly gets chased (in play) by the two remainining kittens (they are a year old this month) I have all female cats but one if that matters.

She urinates right in front of us too. On the kitchen counter, on the carpet in a corner, on a towel in the bathroom, on my clothes if I leave them on the floor. She has no problem using the litter box (there are eight of them!) when she has to poop. Each time I try to clean up the urine so no smell is left and it must work because the only place she's urinated twice is the kitchen counter. I took her to the vet and the vet said I should bring in a urine sample but no one told me this until I was already at my appointment!! THey tried to collect one from her while there but were not successful. Vet said she probably has a urinary tract infection and gave her a shot that lasts two weeks and for a few days she stopped but then went right back to her old ways.

The vet said she does not believe it is behavioral because normally the cat will go in the same place all the time (as a way of saying they are mad about some change)

The only recent change is that about a month ago I brought a foster cat home and recently had let her out with the others and the foster cat got aggressive and chased everyone like she was going to kill them. However, the foster cat got adopted so she is no longer there.

I have started putting my cat in a bedroom by herself with a litter box and food and water while I'm at work. She HATES this and gets upset and cries and screams and scratches at the door and begs to be let out. However, even though the room probably smells like my foster cats, she has not urinated anywhere in that room except for her litter box! I hate to keep her locked up but so far that is the only way I can keep my house not smelling like cat pee! After I had her in the separate room for a week (and only let her out when I was home) she didn't urintate on anything for a few days but recently she's started again. I don't know if taking her back to the vet will help as they really didn't do anything but speculate the first time. She did have a slightly elevated temperature at her appointment so it might have been a URI. any ideas?

Comments (11)