SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sweetchastity

Dustin's behaviour has me concerned

sweetchastity
15 years ago

Catnip never seems to affect Dustin, though he nibbles it and seems interested. But some evenings he acts like he's gotten into catnip. He runs around and makes sudden movements like he wants to be chased.

Well this evening he had this mood and seemed to be having fun. Then he jumped on the back of my computer chair and he meowed at me. I thought he wanted some attention so I gently leaned my head back and rubbed on his side, which I have done before, and he started to swat and bite my head. I thought maybe I scared him, though I lie down with my head next to him and kiss him often on his head, back, legs, tail, wherever. So I reached back to scratch him and he swatted and bit at my hand.

Just a little while later he was lying on my bed and I sat on the bed leaned over and rubbed my nose gently on his side. He batted at my head and bit as well. I'm a bit baffled because I haven't changed my behaviour that I can tell. I've had the blues off and on this week, I do have depression but I try to not affect him with it. I think about how fun and how affectionate he is and make sure I have fond thoughts before I interact with him. I did almost sit on him when I got into bed because he got up from the foot of the bed and tried moving to the head of the bed but he moved out of the way and I didn't hurt him and he calmed down and snuggled with me.

I'm not sure how to react to his behaviour. Should I just give him space and let him come to me? Could it be his personality changing as a result of being neutered? Like is he having fluctuating hormones? My apartment is small but I put his cat tower in the kitchen so he can have some time to himself and sleep there if the tv or computer bother him. He even sleeps under the bed if he needs some space.

I'm not sure what to do. I think he's telling me he doesn't want to be touched but he's never behaved this way, he usually just gets up and goes under the bed or in the kitchen. I'm not sure if I should discipline his behaviour and tell him 'NO' or if he's feeling aggressive if it would agitate him. I worry if I ignore him when he's in a bad mood that I'm sending him a bad message.

Can anyone offer any thoughts on why he is behaving this way or how I should respond?

Comments (18)