SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kswartwout_gw

What do you think is causing this clogged toilet?

kswartwout
11 years ago

Situation: we moved into a really old house a few months ago which was pretty poorly maintained. The toilet in the powder bath would sometimes not flush even with urine only and no toilet paper. Then magically it would be better a day or two later. We replaced the toilet with a TOTO Drake II. This toilet is doing exactly the same thing. It clogs for no reason, unplung-able, and then magically is better if we wait. We can never unclog it with a plunger. All of our other sinks and toilets seem fine. We recently installed a clean out outside and had roots cleared in our main line.

So, does this sound like a case for using a snake down the toilet? Could there be a clog in the line below the toilet? Or does it sound more like a plumbing vent problem? Our roof is slate and very steep, or else we would have already tried to clear the vent. Please advise what you think this could be caused by so that I can determine if we should buy a snake, or hire someone to clear the vent. Probably both, but I'm curious what you think. The fact that it clogs for no reason, on both toilets, and then resolves itself has me scratching my head.

Thanks!

Comments (12)