SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chueh_gw

garbage disposal broken without anything causing it! Clogging 2

chueh
14 years ago

I rarely used garbage disposal. I never left anything in the sink on purpose. Although the disposal was working, I used drainer. I threw all small parts of fruit skins or vegetables away by hand. I only used disposal to make sure no standing residue in the drain or pipe and use the force to clear the area. Of course, I always turn the water on while using disposal for a few seconds.

Last year, a friend was nice enough to help me with dishes. I did not have any bone or hard subtances in our meal. The only non-vegetarian food is the 1" sliced chicken pieces. Even if she put uneaten chicken into the disposal, I would not think that it would break the disposal. If she accidentally lost a fork or two in the disposal, I would hear loud sound. I did not hear anything unusual while she used the disposal.

It sounded normal when she used it actually. However, the second day, I turned the disposal on, it stopped working since then. It has just made the steady humming sound, whenever I turn it on.

Also ever since the disposal was broken, the drain is clogged. Any pipe/drain declogging liquid does not help at all. I plunge every other day. It is just very bad. I have double sinks. The one without disposal is always working fine, while the one with the disposal clogs.

Any suggestions or thoughts about my disposal and clogging problem?

should I replace the disposal or just fix it? If just fix it, how to?

Does draining problem have to do with disposal being there but not in use? What can cause the serious draining problem? This house was brand new when we bought it. Since I take good care of it, I don't think that there is anything in the drain (I have always kept the drainer in the sinks). Why is the sink without the disposal next to the problematic one works fine?

Thanks.

Comments (15)