SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
babaganoosh_gw

Pex in conduit - will I be able to pull this?

babaganoosh
12 years ago

Am I in for trouble? I never worked with PEX before and someone locally thought this wasn't going to work:

I have a 200' run of 2" grey eletrical conduit buried between my house and a shed. I want to be able to have a faucet for a garden hose out there so I don't have to drag a long hose from the house when I need to water in that part of the yard.

I think I remember about electrical code years ago - a conduit run could only have a maximum number of degrees from all the turns before an access panel was needed. I forget that number but thought it was interesting as a way to keep you from making things hard on yourself.

So, with this 200' run, I want to get PEX in there to get the water out to the shed.

There's a total of 4 90 degree turns in the run (being conduit, the curves ARE wide (vs. DWV sched 40 / 80 connectors that are sharper turns).

1 90 is at the shed - there's a vertical pipe into the ground, and it hits the 90 at the bottom. straight run for most of the distance. a 90 tuns towars the house and then a right and left 90 to get around existing things and into the house.

I have pull lines in there now. being that I haven't worked with pex, is it flexible enough to get around these 4 90 deg. turns? I'd like 3/4" PEX, but as a fallback, could I use 1/2" and still get any kind of pressure / flow out of it after 200'?

1 last question - I was thinking of pulling from the house - keep the pex out of sunlight. but that means the entire length of pipe has to make the 3 90s right near the house (but I can push the tubing around those turns as someone pulls also?. vs. if I start at the shed, then only the last 20' of pex has to wind its way past the 3 90s. but then pushing won't really work well. I'll have to pull only.

so in summary, can I run 200' of 3/4" pex through 2" conduit with 4 90 deg. turns?

THANKS!

Comments (19)