SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
attilathediy

Keep the old pipes or bring in new PEX

15 years ago

I am going to be installing a new natural gas condensing boiler to replace my existing oil boiler and the gravity fed hot water system that is feeds. I have talked to reps from both Buderus and Triangle Tube and they have both advocated keeping my existing cast iron pipes which are 2-3 inch pipes on the horizontal in the basement and 1 to 3/4 inch on the vertical feeding the cast iron upright radiators. If I do this I have to replace the current Honeywell non-electric thermostatic radiator valves with something else that will be able to open or close and call to the new pump and turn it on. I am having problems finding something that will work. What I had envisioned was an electric thermostatic radiator that had a solenoid that would open or close and had the ability to turn the zone pump on. There doesn't seem to be a product like that, at least that I can find. My other option is to replace the large pipe with Pex and put more zones in with pumps. If I keep the existing pipes there are two pairs of supply and return coming of the existing boiler, so I could make them each a "zone" of sorts with its own pump and then if I could find a thermostatic device that I could fit to each of my nine radiators which would then feed back to a relay panel that would be great. Any other ideas are welcome.

Comments (2)