SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dee__dee

Clearwave device for hard water & B-W water heater

dee__dee
16 years ago

We need to replace our water softener & water heater. The 30 yr old Culligan softener died quite a few years ago. The hard water buildup around the faucets and toilets is pretty bad, and our 30+ year Rheem water heater is starting to make clanging noise apparently due to scale build up.

The plumber has recommended a Bradford-White 40 gallon, self-cleaning natural gas water heater with a 6yr warr.(installed $925)

He also said we might want to try instead of the softener, an electronic device called Clearwave. I looked it up online and they're about $129, plus what ever the plumber charges to install it. Sounds a little gimmicky to me, but hey, what do i know! It supposedly sends electronic pulse thru the pipes. Here is it's description of what it does:

Clearwave is the most advanced computerized anti-scale device available today. Its computer chip is programmed to bombard water passing through your pipe with over 200 different electromagnetic low frequency pulses. These electromagnetic pulses have been scientifically proven to increase the electromotive attraction potential of the water to mineral salts. The result is that the mineral salts (mainly calcium bicarbonate) stays dissolved in the water instead of converting to insoluble calcium carbonate and attaching itself to the inside of pipes as scale. Existing scale in pipes, water heaters, toilets and faucets begin to soften and dissolve away, as well. Recommended for dishwashers, washing machines, coffee makers, and boilers.

Does anyone know if this is a legitimate device and had any experience with it? Or is it best to just get a water softener.

Also, is the water heater a good water heater? He said the upgrade to a 10 year warranty would be an additional $150, making it $1075 installed. Should I upgrade?

Any help appreciated,thanks,

dee

Comments (5)