SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vickevette

Lav faucet install problem--urgent help please!

vickevette
16 years ago

I recently purchased two Phylrich faucets to replace our old, master bath lav faucets that were leaking. Being somewhat inexperienced at replacing faucets, I assumed that the faucets of a major american-made faucet maker, would be compatible with the Kohler overmount sinks we have.

Having received the faucets, and having my husband attempt to install (he's handy, but not a plumber), we found that the spouts did not fit the pre-drilled holes in the sinks.

There appear to be three "steps" on the faucet spouts (presumably to fit three possible hole sizes). But suprisingly, none of these fit our (quite common?) Kohler sinks.

I looked at the specs on the faucet, which indicate the need (if drilling a countertop) for a "minimum 1-1/2" hole for the spout, and 1-1/8" holes for the hot and cold valves.

We considered replacing our sinks, hoping we could get compatible hole sizes, but it appears that Kohler sinks only come with the choice of 1-1/4" or 1-3/8" holes, and all three holes are always the same size.

It seems implausible that Phylrich would make faucets incompatible with a major sink brand like Kohler. So I'm hopeing that the problem is our inexperience at plumbing installation, and maybe there is something here we're missing?

Any advice would be appreciated--we're currently without the use of our bathroom sinks (my husband inadvertently threw away the old leaking valves to the old faucets, so until we can get the new ones in, we have no faucets!) I bought the faucets on the internet, so have not had any luck getting advice from the vendor, and Phylrich refers any install questions to their retailers.

Thanks so much in advance for any advice.

Comments (2)